Mid Atlantic Musings

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I thought it would be a good idea to start the New Year off with another type of thread all together. We're always talking about garden specific topics, but some times we'd just like to chat with one another. Please consider this a thread to do just that. Any time you need to take a break from whatever you're doing and want to drop in, please do and see who's available to chat. I'm sure that we will find plenty of things to talk about.

One of the things that I was thinking about when driving up to Roses' house on Saturday for the seed swap, was how beautiful the countryside was even in the dead of winter. It occurs to me that I need to find the time to take a lot more drives just taking in the gorgeous scenery that is all around us. Maybe folks will post some ideas for some nice drives anywhere within a 2 to 3 hour radius of our area.

Thumbnail by stormyla
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My husband and I go for rides all the time. We did a hex sign tour a few years ago in our car then again on our motorcycle. In the fall it is spectacular. A real nice drive to see the country side

Hex sign tour http://www.hexsigns.org/hex-tour-map2009.pdf

There are a lot of covered bridges too.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=7&oq=covered+brig&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS353US354&q=covered+bridges+in+pa

Oh and I love to chat!!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Great Ronnie, All chatters welcome. Thanks, I'll check out that tour. BTW, do you have a pix of your Dane?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Yes I do all three actually!!!

This is Atticus our 190lb male that was a rescue.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

This is my crazy but pretty girl Harper

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Ronnie, you have that picture of your Dane with the dreamy eyes. He/she ? looks to be "musing" in that photo!

Croos post....it's Harper in the musing pic.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

This is my senior lady, Sabrina, who will be celebrating her 11th birthday next month and probably be breaking my heart soon.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah I did post her "eyes" she is a real nutty dog!

We have a fat bulldog too!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, Sabrina is a beauty!! Now to me, she looks like a musing kind of gal, espescially in that pose. They are each so different in coloring. Do you put all three of them in the car for trips?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I had never visited the Aroid forum before and decided to check it out. My goodness, look at this thing!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6965262

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I don't take Sabrina any longer she is too old. I would take out the back seat of the truck and the just fit! Atticus takes up most of the space now!

Love the room that Aroid is in!

Wow, looks like science fiction!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ronnie, Your house must be crowded when they all sit in one room. Do they all run to meet you when you come home?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! Fun thread... no particular musings to share at the moment, but wanted to LYK I'm lurking! LOL

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ronnie, I looked at those two sites. The only part of Route#78 I've ever been on is up on the way to Roses' house near the Poconos. I will have to drive it west one day. I wonder if that is the road Holly & Ric took up to Roses.

There is a covered bridge right near here in Valley Forge. It's strange, I never thought about the problems they posed in the winter. Apparently, back when they were built, the major winter method of transportation was a horse drawn sleigh. Because it was warmer inside of the bridge, the snow would melt. People would have to get out of the sleigh and shovel snow back into the bridge to get across.

I guess that if the roads were never plowed or salted and didn't have automobile traffic, maybe they did stay snow covered all winter. I guess people packed the buggies away until spring, and brought the sleighs out. It's so strange to think of that in our area. Of course, it probably wasn't like that in the city.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

It is a bit crowded. Our house isn't really big. I have designated what used to be the LR to them and my husband put on an addition that no dogs are allowed in. We are hoping to add on to the kitchen next year. After we moved in we found out the basement wasn't usable, lots of moister and yuk...it would be to costly to even try to redo it. They do tend to be a bit over zealous when coming home after a long day...I'm used to it but guest get a bit overwhelmed. I have lots of baby gates up and they aren't for my Granddaughters! LOL I love them though and can't imagine not having at least two at a time. My hubs would prefer none of course, he must really love me!

Who else has/had pets? We had chickens a while back but for some odd reason Abby the bulldog started to chase them and I was concerned for their safety, She got a hold of one and it wasn't a pretty sight.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Old route 100 is a real nice ride. I love going to Lancaster too.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I often drive on 100 between Pottstown and Downingtown, but that's about it. I went to a beautiful wedding on an old estate that is now rented out for catering on 100 last summer. It had the most exquisite gardens and groves of trees. I'll have to find the name of the estate. It is sometimes open for tours.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Ya'll want to adopt me or am I too far south/ west?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sheryl, You are always welcome anywhere that I park my hat!!

PS guys, there are interest threads in the co-op forum for both Hellebores and Hens & Chick!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Love this thread!

Ronnie... your danes are beautiful!

Mary... what was the bldg in the photo you started this thread with? Nice!
I happen to watch the aroid forum pretty regularly cause I love Elephant Ears!
I am trying desperately to keep mine going through the winter... they don't like being in!
I don't have anything like what you posted though!

The next place we are going is to the Eagle festival at Blackwater NWR on March 13th.
I posted a rather long info piece on it on the Mid-Atlantic Birdwatching thread... (...tuppence a bag)
I can post it over here too, but didn't want to "overdo"!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

VWR, Thanks, If you want to repost that Bird watching info, I think you should do it on the MidAtlantic Event thread. I was going to suggest that to you, but got distracted. LOL, Karen, it took me about 20 minutes to figure out what NWR stood for!

That photo is of an old barn that I discovered while on a sly search on forbidden property over Thanksgoiving. It is only one of several marvelous things that I discovered that day. I'm tired now, but maybe tomorrow, I'll post the story and photos.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My brother has a Dane who thinks it is a lap dog. When my mom would visit it would try to get in her lap. Not a good thing. We would also have to be beside her if she was standing so whe wouldn't get pushed over when 'Cooper' leaned on her. ^_^

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

"sly search on forbidden property"---Something has always really fascinated me about abandoned buildings. Swamps, too. I have a decay fascination.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey, y'all!

I would love to do a covered bridge tour.
Ronnie, what kind of bike do you and hubby have? We have 2 Harleys.
Here we are with one of them in NH.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, I would never recognize you from that photo. Your prettiness does not come through!

Sally, you would love this part of Tennessee - tons of falling down barns and old deserted houses.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yeah, I was 20 lbs lighter, no kids yet.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Jen we have a Harley Softail. It's about 5 years old and my hubby is customizing it all the time! I thought I wanted him to get a bigger one but after trying out my BIL's I decided it was to big for me, felt weird. Ours is real comfy. We did a shore ride a few years back and it took us almost exactly 12 hours, of course with pit stops, but I was perfectly comfortable. We missed a whole year of riding last season when he got his knee replaced. I was a bit nervous so stayed off it. Looking forward to the nice weather to go for a ride again. What kind are yours?

Pagan my niece is in Clarksville TN. We were there in September to see her new baby so not much site seeing. I am hoping to go back in the fall again. Are you near there?

All of my Danes think they are lap dogs, and watch out if they want to lean and you aren't paying attention...down you go!

stormyla/ jen I thought the same thing!! No offense but jen you are much prettier when you haven't spent perhaps some hours on a bike and crammed into a helmet? LOL

Pagancat--oh, we have driven through Tenn, down 81 past Chattanooga several times. Last year we went to Gatlinburg, and on the way out of that area, ended up on side roads. It is beautiful! My dreamer brain wants to buy an old farm , it'll be very cheap of course _LOL_ and will include no horrible surprises like moving into an old house and finding out the roof leaks, the floors rotted...

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ours are
88 FXLR low rider (cherry and brandywine) I'll have to locate a pic
and the one in the pic is a
99 FLHTC Electra Glide

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL

I have a helmet sticker that says "Hell hath no fury like a woman with helmet head"

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I though it was and Electra Glide, I think that's what my BIL has...does it vibrate when you ride? I heard you get used to it but didn't like it one bit!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

helmet hair is the worst...I have short hair so I can't even get away with a pony tail!! I am getting a little bit to old for a bandanna! LOL

Sally - or a leaking basement? Oh yeah....

++snort++
you might carry gel with you and do the spiky thing with your short, helmet hair. Some women carry off that spiky short hair thing very well. (Not me!)

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah then I'll look like a real biker!! Scary thought! LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I used to carry the gel around with me. I go back and forth from short to long. Also did the doo rag thing. Of course now hubby takes my son riding so I haven't been in ages.

Here's the low rider.

The FLH is the most wonderful bike for long trip, it's like a couch on 2 wheels....LOVE IT!!! I have nothing more to prove, having been down to DC on a Sportster( a couple times). I want my tushie all cushie.

Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Here's the back of me in Daytona.

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.