Coleus Chatter for Feb.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I know I'm a week early.
I just had to take a pic of my cuttings for Feb. There are some subtle changes,colors are changing getting richer and darker and plants are getting taller.
I have been pinching back quite a bit but will stop for now unless someone says its OK to go ahead.
I think about an inch of growth since Jan 1

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Side by side Jan-Feb
I look at how high the plants are to the bar of the rack.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2010 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
New Hyde Park, NY

Mine are growing about 2" a month and I am still pinching and will keep on pinching to make the plants bushier.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

yep

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

ge,

Will you please post this thread on the old one when Feb comes? I don't post much, but I sure do like to lurk.

Thanks.

Hap

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Happy I'm not sure what you mean?
On the old one?
Do you mean theColeus forum?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Jo, I meant the one that is for January which is still running.

Thanks

Orangeburg, SC

Your doing so good. I lost ALL mine about 3 weeks ago when my heat went out in my GH. Youve got a great start.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Stay tuned .It will be at the top as long as we post.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Feb will be here in 2 days.

Blackshear, GA

ge,
Is that a recent photo? You say Feb, but it is not Feb. Can you keep them inside all winter? Do you have a hard time with meally bugs? They seem to love my coleus and everytime I get some going they get attacked by the mealies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sorry I jumped the gun on the date. I had nothing else to do.
That is the pic I took on the day I posted the thread. I do winter over cuttings.
No mealybugs here but teeeeny black knats.
Too much water brings mealies.

Blackshear, GA

I know, it has warmed up down here and I am itching to get started planting. I am starting seeds tomorrow so maybe that will 'hold' me for awhile. I just hope I am not planting them too early, most won't be ready to plant out until they are 6-8 weeks so that won't be too bad. Usually by Apr 1 we can start planting things in the yard.

I just noticed the green grass and trees in your picture and that you were in NY, that is why I was asking if it was recent. I keep thinking it is Feb too. I joined the Valentine swap (check it out) and I want to send my package, but we haven't even gotten our buddies name yet. The swaps are really fun, check them out if you haven't already.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ga gal The green grass didnt last long.
Last Wed it started snowing and temps dropping ,now the bakground is white.
I promise to wait until March to post the next one.
I dint start seeds until mid April and we dont plant in the ground until the end of May. Memorial Day weekend is when the nurseries are jammed.
We have some really cold nights until then and sometimes frost.
Its such a tease because day temps can go into the 70's

Blackshear, GA

I know same here. Today was around 70, but tonight and tomorrow night low 30s high 50s during the day and then another warm up back in the 70s again. Much more and the trees and shrubs down here think it is spring and they put out blooms especially the azelas, and wham, come first of March, we have another bad freeze and knocks everything back. Oh well, can't control mother nature. Thank the Lord for the GH.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

cant count on warm nights until June.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

And then you can't count on them. I remember!!!

Hi and good morning all.

Hap

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Good morning everyone
Happy Groundhog Day

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This was a sucess.The Christmas Tree Shop has really reasonable planters but you have to go in season,they dont keep them around after planting time is over.
Electric Lime Chocolate velvet Lancelot Mocha,Jack o Diamonds.Lantana and a yellow begonia.
Far right in the other planter Fiesta.I heartily recomend it.

This message was edited Feb 2, 2010 6:24 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Will be just a lurker here for a while. Ninety nine percent of my coleus are gone. Really thought that they would wilt, but not die, as in dead, gone, black, etc. Ah, such is life. Had planned to pare back my gardens for they were getting to much to handle, but it was not planned this way. LOL Guess, the Good Lord wanted to spare me the work.

Keep on Truckin' pals.

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This used to be lush green and full.

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

So sorry about your vedgitation

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks. Some of it will come back and other things now sit at the curb. (Second load)

Hap

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats just awful.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

so sorry Happy.. such a bummer

dreaming of things to come

Thumbnail by onewish1
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Pretty cool, onewish. I have one tiny tray of versa coleus starting, only a dozen seedlings. This photo was a week or two ago so they're a little bigger now.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Those are so neat.
I dont get the seed start urge until April.Then its all out seeds in windows.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It does seem early for seed starting. I have so little experience with seed starting under lights, my timing is questionable. I start most of my seeds outside (wintersowing), but coleus is so slow growing in cool spring temps, wintersown ones didn't look like much until August. I think coleus is one better done indoors. And coleus is one plant that does so much better with frequent pinching that controling size is easy.

I started these early because I've never tried the versa and wanted to test drive a few before I put them into garden beds and summer planters. My space under lights is very limited, too, so some of my plants will soon need to get by on window light alone. At least days are getting a little longer.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

the coleus started early do just fine under lights... and the geraniums take forever to grow

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm not doing any geraniums from seed. But I am overwintering about 6 little pots of cuttings that I took in fall. They've been winners, wanting to bloom all winter. I had to chop them off to keep them short enough to fit under the lights. Bottom shelf on left.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Nice Karen, you've got color already. Great start. Its too early for me but will start soon.

Allison, where do you get your geranium seeds?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

wow those look great.. I brought two plants that I grew from seed last year.. going to do cuttings later on with them.. when I overwintered them in the past they grew back all leggy.. guess I would have been better off cutting them back more than I did

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I picked them up in the summer hill seeds co-op... down side is there is not many seeds in the pack .. here is a list of everything started so far

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/84100/

WOW! you have a sweet selection there. Let me know how the versas work out.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I will let you know how the versas work for me.

I highly recommend you try geranium cuttings next winter. They're at least as easy as coleus, if not easier. I let them callous over for a day then stuck in a light moist potting mix with lots of perlite. In a plastic bag they seemed to root and put out new growth in less than a week. I really don't know much about what I'm doing here. To control their height I just chopped off the tops.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will Jada...a friend of mine told me to take cuttings of these seedlings and the babies will grow bigger and stronger than the momma plants.. going to take cuttings of 1/2 of them and see which do better.. the only one that did not germinate well was the Raspberry Ripple geranium... 3 weak seedlings out of maybe 12 seeds.. and one looks like it's going to croak soon

Karen,
If they are as easy as coleus then I'm encouraged. What is "callous over"?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you know when you cut the coleus and the bottom where you cut closes up... callous over

Allsion, nice to know they propagate easy too. I think I found my next obsession:-)
They smell so good!

Gotcha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.