Suggestions please

Panama City, FL(Zone 8b)

Today I dug up about 39 bulbs from a bed that has become extremely waterlogged ffp, the huge amount of rain we have received in the last couple of months. Three days ago we had more than 5 inches of rain in less than 12 hours. It is raining off and on again today. I was really looking forward to blooms this year. I don't have an empty bed to move them to so I don know what to do now. If I spread them out so they can dry will they come back later or do I need to find a place to plant now. I could put them all in pots and keep them inside for now if I need to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Madison, WI

(Sorry about this crazy weather drowning your beds!) I am no expert but my first instinct would be to get the bulbs out of the waterlogged area to be sure they won't rot. I can't tell from your message whether you would have a place to dry them reliably by spreading them out. Maybe someone with more expertise than I have could say whether bringing them in and planting them in pots will affect their growth cycle, in your growing zone (and whether it would disturb the plants to much to plant them back in your beds later) - but I would think this might be a viable option, to preserve the bulbs... (Would planting them in pots now best mimic what they would be doing if the beds weren't waterlogged?)
Good luck!

Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I had to dig up some of the bulbs from my bed after I put in continuous curbing around my flower bed do to water not draining. I have plant some bulbs in pots and some in another bed, may change blooming cycle but well worth saving all those bulbs.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.