Hello fellow Georgians!

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Pretty cool there's a thread just for Georgia folks. I'm a native, but now live in Oklahoma. I grew up outside of Fairburn, went to UGA (go Dawgs), got a degree in animal sc, and worked in the ag industry for 12 years before starting my own pastured pork and produce farm. Most all my family is still in Georgia, and I sure do miss them. Do many of you sell at markets in Georgia? Any of you UGA grads?

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Tulsa,

I'm not a native Georgian. Been here 26 years. Saw your thread on the P&L forum about your pigs. Its very interesting. BronxBoy here grows veggies and eggs to sell at market. Maybe there are others that haven't said anything or I've just forgotten. (Oldtimers ya know.) Anyway, welcome to Dave's. You'll find a lot of nice folks here.

Becky

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

welcome to the ga forum. Transplanted from Florida here. GO DAWGS I don't sell anything yet. I may sell a few at a local weekend market next year in Roberta.
I can taste that bacon,,,yummm
Elaine

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from beclu727 :
Hi Tulsa,

I'm not a native Georgian. Been here 26 years. Saw your thread on the P&L forum about your pigs. Its very interesting. BronxBoy here grows veggies and eggs to sell at market. Maybe there are others that haven't said anything or I've just forgotten. (Oldtimers ya know.) Anyway, welcome to Dave's. You'll find a lot of nice folks here.

Becky

Thanks Becky, this really is a great forum.

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from EFGeorgia1 :
welcome to the ga forum. Transplanted from Florida here. GO DAWGS I don't sell anything yet. I may sell a few at a local weekend market next year in Roberta.
I can taste that bacon,,,yummm
Elaine
Thanks Elaine. You should definitely look into selling at the market. I really enjoy meeting all the different people each week. As for bacon, it is one of the most popular items, especially the pepper bacon. I have to be careful not to eat up the inventory! :)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

will do that,,, if all my cuttings root and my greenhouse isn't blown over when we get back from Florida. Sure hate to go back to the cold weather, it is so nice down here in sunny Florida....

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi there Tulsa Dawg! Welcome to Georgia indeed,
I'm not a local girl either. I moved here (almost) 4 years ago with my small family from the Netherlands. Don't do selling stuff yet. Been renovating/re landscaping 3/4 acre myself. Last year I made first ever attempt in veggies, I had all of 3 yellow peppers, and 4 soy beans!!!! last ones I gave to my DH since he loves Edamame! I closed all windows before I put it on his plate LOL
But my tulips are doing fine again. Coming up again. Can't wait for Spring time. I'm done with winter now.
Coby

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from TulipLady :
Hi there Tulsa Dawg! Welcome to Georgia indeed,
I'm not a local girl either. I moved here (almost) 4 years ago with my small family from the Netherlands. Don't do selling stuff yet. Been renovating/re landscaping 3/4 acre myself. Last year I made first ever attempt in veggies, I had all of 3 yellow peppers, and 4 soy beans!!!! last ones I gave to my DH since he loves Edamame! I closed all windows before I put it on his plate LOL
But my tulips are doing fine again. Coming up again. Can't wait for Spring time. I'm done with winter now.
Coby
That must be quite a shock moving from the Netherlands to Ga. Back in the 80's I served 3 years with the army in Vicenza, Italy. I loved Europe, although I never made it to your country, I did go to Belgium jump school near Antwerp which isn't too far away. That's really beautiful country over there.

Hey TulsaDawg, I'm not originally from Georgia either, I'm a Canadian. I've been in the US for 15 years now, and gardening in Georgia for 12. Like TulipLady I'm working on 3/4 of an acre (frustrated this year by flooding!!!). I grow a lot of food but also quite a bit of "pretty", as best I can!

Welcome

GGG

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Quote from girlgroupgirl :
Hey TulsaDawg, I'm not originally from Georgia either, I'm a Canadian. I've been in the US for 15 years now, and gardening in Georgia for 12. Like TulipLady I'm working on 3/4 of an acre (frustrated this year by flooding!!!). I grow a lot of food but also quite a bit of "pretty", as best I can!

Welcome

GGG
Cool. I've got to get up to Canada one of these days. Atlanta has gotten humongous. When I was a kid I remember when they built I-285 and you could drive on it and see nothing but woods between the highway and downtown, way off in the distance. My, how that place has grown!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

I'm not a native Georgian either.....just moved down here the end of April 09. Sure am glad I am here instead of Tidewater VA right now and not getting the snow, sleet or freezing rain they are expecting. I LOVE being further south and kicking back for my retirement years. Have a lot to learn about gardening down here but that's where my fellow DG members are helping me. Thanks to all of y'all!!!!!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

We sell at several markets. We sell veggies and eggs and have started the only CSA operating within Gwinnett County that has crops that have been grown in the county. Been hard to keep up with demand

Actually, a lot of my time this off season has been dedicated to working with towns and organizations looking to start farmers markets. I know of 2 definite new markets coming online this year in addition to the ones we have here in Gwinnett County.

It has really been exciting to see the explosion of interest in locally grown food. The Achilles heel is that there are just not enough local farmers to meet demand.

BB

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Yeah BronxBoy, with all the urban sprawl I imagine finding farmers is near impossible in your area. We actually have some of that here as well. We have some vendors that drive 4 or 5 hours to come to our Sat market near downtown Tulsa. That's great to hear about new markets starting up. We started up a new one last year in a suburb of Tulsa called Broken Arrow that's funded by the city. We invited a Tulsa news crew out, and they did their live news broadcast from the market location the evening before the grand opening. It was a great success!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Tulsa Dawg,
I am a native georgian - never lived anywhere else. Welcome to Daves!

Brenda

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Thanks Brenda.

Blackshear, GA

Hi Tulsa,
I am a native also, lived here all my life. Definately a Dawg fan!! My husbands father and all 5 of his brothers and sisters also graduated from GA and now a nephew, he just graduated Dec 18. So the tradition continues.......Welcome to Daves

Where is Fairburn? I am at the bottom of GA, hour north of Jax, FL

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

GAgirl, when I was a kid Fairburn was a little bitty town southwest of Atlanta about 15 or 20 miles. It seemed way out in the country at the time. I imagine it's now just part of the urban sprawl. My parents moved to Roswell in the mid 80's, so I've never been back since then.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello Tulsa, Sounds like fond memories of Ga.I was transplanted here from rural NC, and have been here since 66.My home town got swallowed by I40, and there is nothing to go back to.
I have found a wonderful life here in Ga.Spent 30 yrs. working with the Dawgs on the athletic surface.Moving on, I am now retired, and trying to be the best at growing I can be.I love piece, and quite, and simple living.
My prediction is that there will be a growing need for good organic gardening, where markets are concerned.Grow Dawgs!!

Mike

Okmulgee, OK(Zone 6b)

Mike, enjoy the good life. Sounds like you worked hard to earn the right. Back in the 80's when I was at UGA there was a Chandler family out your way that raised pigs and did a little row crop farming. I used to go visit with them quite often. Billy Chandler was the farmer, and he sure was wise in the ways of growing things. I think he has passed on, but memories of Danielsville are good ones for me.

Marietta, GA

I'm Eddy in Marietta,Ga. ------ new to Dave's and just reading posts a lot right now

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from ImaTulsaDawg :
That must be quite a shock moving from the Netherlands to Ga. Back in the 80's I served 3 years with the army in Vicenza, Italy. I loved Europe, although I never made it to your country, I did go to Belgium jump school near Antwerp which isn't too far away. That's really beautiful country over there.

TulsaDawg, Yes, Europe IS a wonderful place. But a shock? :yes and no since my MIL had lived here for 10 years before she passed away we have visited many many times and once we lived here for one schoolyear just to spent more time with her and have our daughter get to know her much better. We went back to Holland, picked up new jobs etc. But when she passed this was a logical choice for us. My husband has good job now and is happy, I see the sun on (almost) daily basis and have large garden to work in, so I'm happy and our daughter is quite happy at school too. What I miss most is the country side! Although born and raised in downtown Amsterdam we moved to the country just N. of it and lived in small village of 850 people! We LOVED it! Peacuful, quaint, horses, sheep, cows..... may be one day when the "little girl" is in college we're moving outside again. we'll see.

And welcome Eddy. This place is almost "home". See you on the forums.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.