Freeze damage to Davidia

Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

The freezing weather at Easter a couple of years ago killed one of my Davidia to the ground,and severly damaged the trunk of the other one. They were about10 foot tall and15yrs old, Both have suckered freely from base and now have suckers 6 to 8 ft tall. I allowed them to grow for a couple of years as I thought the roots needed all help they could get. I would now like to train them to a single stem tree,should I remove all the excess stems at once,or should I remove them over a peroid of time? Also I have read they don't flower untill they are about 20yrs old,did the clock start over at the freeze?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd thin them out over two or three sessions a year or two apart.

Resin

Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Resin, I'll take them off over a couple growing seasons as sugested.Do you know if the age required to bloom is based on the stem or the over all age of the tree? tree_ planter

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd suspect the age, or more likely the size, of the stem, but don't know for sure. Other factors are also important, like sunlight - it'll flower much younger in full sun than in shade. I'd say 20 years is decidedly pessimistic though, maybe 20 years to heavy flowering, but if in full sun you should get the first few flowers from about 7-10 years old.

Resin

Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Thats the answer I was hopeing for,as I don't think I can wait another 15 or 20yrs to see them bloom. Thanks again Resin tree_planter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.