Canna Sources

Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I am looking for cannas that are 4+ feet tall. Any sources you can provide would be greatly appreciated. A ton of questions on care & culture will follow!

There is nothing like dreaming during a snowy cold winter! Yeah I know I will have to bag'em & tag'em, but there is noting like sitting on the front porch on a hot summer afternoon listening to a ball game, drinking a cold one while enjoying all the beauty and antics going on in the garden.

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

you want to buy them 4 feet tall or you want them to get over 4 feet?? I have the banana canna mine got upwards of 7 feet this past summer the leaves are just like a banana tree, living in canada its the closest i can get.. also the red stripe i had that was even taller then the banana, with burgandy leaves it was stunning... I have wyoming and king humbert but they wern't my favorite of the season.. I have added to my collection all fall/till now and i think i'm set for the season on cannas.. wonder what one my fav will be this year...
If your looking for cannas that are tall to start.. I bought some at a local walmart they were almost 3 feet tall, they were the first to flower for the season.. However the others wern't that far behind, and to me it wasn't worth the extra $15.. I wish i would of just bought the root and spent that $15 on something else...
I'm not sure if we can give websites as to where you can get things but if you look up the cannas in the plant files theres usually a few stores that sell them "# vendors have this plant for sale." just click on that and it will show you where to get some...
jen

I am just looking for rhizomes, I figure since I will mix the soil from scratch I can get them to perform in spectacular fashion.

I have recommended products, growers and even given out links on the forum. I only give out those growers with whom I have had a satisfactory experience, Oakes Daylillies & High Country Gardens come to mind.

Sonny

This message was edited Jan 23, 2010 6:47 PM

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I haven't ordered any cannas, i got all mine form trades and two from walmart.. I have a bunch of seeds also i plan to start, just to see what I get.. Theres a bunch of wonderful people on this forum that are great to trade with, and if there anything like me they have more then one person can ever plant anyways..

Smurf428,

That's the catch, I am starting out from scratch so I have nothing to trade. Unless of course someone was interested in rocks! LOL

By the way, do you know if deer like cannas?

Sonny

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

not a clue I live in the city i would have to drive for miles to even see one lol... heres a link i found "In California, these plants are not grazed by deer. " http://www.cagwin.com/garden/garden_canna.html I've searched a few pages and theres no signs that they would bother them.. I have had strong winds knock one stock down this summer with a 7 foot fence behind them.. If they were to run through them i would think they would break though, or cause some damage anyways..
jen

West Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

My favorite place is www.karcheskycanna.com they have a HUGE selection from dwarfs to extra tall. Alice is very friendly and extremly helpful. Last year I bought Peach gigantum and Robert Kemp compacta (dont let the name fool you!) they both were about 8 feet tall by the end of summer. I planted them in May. When they get a few feet high you will need to tie them to a support I use long bamboo poles. They are wonderful.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

I'm puzzled.

Are the prices at karcheskycanna for one rhizome? Some of those varieties can be had for as little as $1 apiece. And even the pricey Pretoria is only $3 apiece in bulk from KVB wholesale. I can imagine paying $16 a rhizome if it's a really truly rare canna, but for The President, and Wyoming, why would I buy from Karchesky when I can pay one eighth the price somewhere else? Just asking.

I noticed the same thing.

American Meadows is having a sale right now and I think I have things figured out, at least on a temporary basis.

One thing Smurf428 pointed out was the fact that Karchesky sells seeds! That is much cheaper all the way around, but I think I will go for some rhizomes from American Meadows. I already have enough planned for landscaping this summer. Less projects, more attention to detail and planning, more realistic expectations.

Gosh, I think I lost my superman shirt someplace! LOL.

DD515, Are things crazy as always in the valley? An old Anaheim boy.

Sonny

Parkersburg, WV

Horn canna farms has some nice ones. fair priced and good selection.

taj

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thanks taj & sonny. Both are good sources to know about.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Steve812,
The Karchesky site has not been updated since 2008. None of those prices are valid now. We have tried to update the main page information, but so far have not been able to get in to do it ):
Many of the old canna varieties that are rare, were also diseased.
It took a lot of attention to sort the not diseased from the diseased, and quarantine those away from the clean seedling crops to make sure they remained clean. All the diseased were removed from active growing.
Due to the problems with the old site and so many changes needed, a new website is under development. Like the old, it will contain education. And also the American registry, other new and interesting things, and as always the passion to grow great cannas :)

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

please let us know when its up and running...
jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.