How about a Massage?

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes back in April and have been learning everything I can to combat the disease. I've lost a lot of weight, lowered my blood pressure, got my cholesterol back into the "good" range, exercise, eat right, etc.

I read recently that massage can help with diabetes. I knew it felt good and was great for a lot of ailments, but learning its affect on glucose intrigued me. I get a professional massage once a month.

An article I read recently said that massage is great for the circulatory system, and as you know, diabetes is a circulatory problem. It also relieves stress, and this stress relief can lower the glucose level almost instantly in some diabetics. So I put it to the test today.

I went for my hour-long massage and checked my glucose before the massage (114) and then immediately afterwards (87). I was surprised at the difference, especially considering that I talk during the massage and just can't fully relax. Relaxing is something I'm learning to do, finally, at the age of 46. I flunked yoga (lying perfectly still and quiet for me was just impossible). I'm ready to go immediately upon waking in the morning and I go all day long until bedtime. I'm even up in the middle of the night usually for 3 or so hours. I don't relax enough to even sleep thru the night. So I was rather surprised at the difference in my glucose levels just in an hour of a massage. Even my medication doesn't work this quickly. I read that in some diabetics, the glucose may lower so much that they actually need orange juice or something afterwards to get the level back up to normal.

I'm hoping for bigger and long-lasting effects as I continue to "study" relaxation and try to incorporate it in my everyday life. The massages greatly help because I'm tense all the time and my shoulders and back are just knotted up. At my next massage, the masseuse is going to use a full-body heating pad to help relax my muscles and then a hot-stone massage, which I've never had before. So I'm eager to see the effects treatment has on my glucose.

Has anyone else tried massage for glucose levels? Or do you use massage for other ailments? I'd love to hear some of your stories and experiences.

NancyAnn

This thread has 29 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!