DENNETT

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

A real oldie 1936

AZTEC GOLD

Thumbnail by Joy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Man!!! Is that ever,Don't we wish we could be around that long and stay that pretty.!!!! (lol) I love the tone of the color of that one.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow Joy, that is so neat to have one that old. The Daylily Journal had an interesting article about some of the older daylilies.

Logan Lake, BC(Zone 3a)

Very nice Joy!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

We could be around that long and look that good if we could clone ourselves.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful color..........

Curious....when did they start registering DLs??

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Opps, Just saw this thread.

gen2026, That's a very good question. Your asking made me wonder too? So I did a google search to see if I could find the answer. The earliest I found is 1762.
Both Flava and Lemon lily - Hemerocallis lilioasphodelus syn. flava were from 1762. I grow both.
The 1800's saw even more.

And that makes me wonder how many daylilies from the 1800's are still being grown?

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow - that is AMAZING! I would have NEVER dreamed that they were registering DLs way back before we were even a country! Thanks for sharing that info............. never know what you will learn here on DG!!

Can't believe you have both of them that are that old! do you have pics of them??

Genna

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes, I have pics. .But I confused Hemerocallis fulva, with flava. What I have is Fulva. But I do have Lemon lily.

Here's Lemon lily

Thumbnail by Joy
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That appears to be a delightful Daylily!!! I''m not being scientific about it I'm enjoying a nice old fashioned flower, Does foliage stay that nice? Once again delightful heirloom!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I love some of the heirloom daylilies. AABACHEE is an older spider registered in 1957. BEAUTIFUL DREAMER is a yellow from 1955. Bess Ross, which I just got 2 years ago, is from 1951. Burning Daylight is from 1957. I probably have others from the 50's as well, and a bunch from the 60's and 70's. Not much earlier than the 50's, though, although I do have the Lemon Lily and H. fulva, H. fulva 'Kwanso' and H. fulva 'Flore Pleno'.

Karen

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

The foliage does stay pretty nice on Lemon lily. It is a beautiful little bloomer. Especially sense it blooms long before most daylilies start blooming. It has a real nice lemony fragrance too.

I Love the heirloom daylilies too. I grow a lot of them.
Looking at my list, I have quite a few earlier than the 50's. Of course I grow a lot from the 50's, 60's and 70's as well. Many of my favorites are heirloom.

These are the other pre 1950's daylilies I grow.
ORANGEMAN, another extra early bloomer was registered in 1906
AZTEC GOLD, 1936
BLACK PRINCE, 1942
PAINTED LADY, 1942
PURPLE WATERS, 1942
RED CINDERELLA, 1945
KWANSO, 1947
PINK SATIN, 1948
KINDLY LIGHT, 1949
BLACK MAGIC, 1949
HALLOWEEN, 1949

Orangeman

Thumbnail by Joy
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You have a real nice collection of heirlooms Joy!!!

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you Cindy. :-)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

The only real oldie I have so far is OPHIR from 1924. It is a yellow, similar to what 'orangeman' looks like. Blooms very freely and I love it.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, I have PAINTED LADY and KINDLY LIGHT. Both are really nice.

Karen

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

How neat! I think it is neat that the cultivar is still around after all these years! Thanks so much for sharing !!
Genna

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.