Is bokasi better than other methods.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

I was just wondering because I do vermicomposting and regular composting as well, and just recently I heard about bokashi, is it worth trying or should I just stick to what I am doing. One thing I've heard about bokashi is that it is faster and also you can add meat as well or fish. Do the plants really like it?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi Carminator!
You have asked some important questions. IMHO the decision to use the Bokashi method is based on some variables. First, how important is it to you to be able to compost all your kitchen scraps (including proteins) rather than just vegetative ones? How much would you value a method that works quicker than regular composting in a pile, tumbler, or bin? And finally, are you willing to follow the Bokashi method, which entails purchasing or making for yourself the Bokashi medium that enables the relevant microbes to do their work, and then burying the fermented scraps in your garden or compost pile?
If so, than Bokashi may be for you.
There have been threads on the Soil and Composting forum about it, but I can't list these right now because the DG search engine is disabled. But the following article gives good advice.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/109/

I've been making Bokashi compost for 3 years now with all my kitchen scraps. I also compost my garden clippings and trimmings in compost bins, and then add the fermented Bokashi scraps to the piles and watch the worms show up. I am convinced that this speeds the composting process in my bins. Others bury the fermented scraps in garden beds, but this doesn't work in my crowded beds.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much CapeCod, this info really helps, but I am still wondering a couple of things, first how much faster is this method than the regular composting method and second do you really have to buy one of those very expensive bokashi bukets to make your bokashi or can you just use a regular bucket with a lid?. Also how long will a bokashi bag usually last, trying to think of whether price wise this method will work for me. As to putting proteins I don't mind doing so as long as it does not attract rodents and other harmful creatures.

Thank you so much

Carmen

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi Carmen!
You ask very good questions, and there are a lot of answers--just go to on the internet to find some. No, you don't have to buy an expensive Bokashi bucket, but you do need to create some sort of anerobic container for your scraps--a 5-gal. plastic bucket with tight lid works--and it's important to drain off the "leachate" from the bottom occasionally with a spigot, which can be purchased and installed separately. (Some folks just add a layer of coco coir to the bottom of the bucket to absorb the leachate, and this works too,)
Yes, the method of breaking down my kitchen scraps is much faster, for a composter like me. I don't keep a "hot compost pile" of my clippings and vegetative scraps, so it generally takes several months for my compost to break down. Each layer of scraps that I mix with Bokashi ferment in a week or so--I just keep adding more layers into the pail with a sprinkling of Bokashi medium until the bucket is full and the surface is covered with beneficial white mold.
You can either bury the finished Bokashi mix in your garden or into your compost-pile (which is what I do.) The worms will come to complete the process.
As for the rodent problem, if you bury the fermented contents of your Bokashi bucket 12-18 inches underground, they can't get to them. Some folks take a 40 or 55 gal. trash can, cut off the bottom and set it into the ground, and layer the fermented scraps with garden clippings into this. Rodents can't get in, but worms can! I bury the Bokashi scraps in my 3 x 3 ft. covered compost bins and have not a problem.
Hope this helps, and keep asking questions. As I said above, there have been some really informative threads on DG about Bokashi, but I can't find them right now. Maybe someone else can!
Here's a blog on DG that gives some great information:

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/SSzretter/10164/

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Capecod thank you so much this article and all the info you have given me is great. The reason I was looking into Bokashi was because I need to build more raise beds in my garden and I really like to put home compost on the raise beds along with some cow manure, and my composter is just taking forever to compost all the stuff that I put in, bokashi seems like something that might solve this problem and now I know that you can actually make it yourself, which is even better. Actually I do have a bottle of EM, I tend to mix a little bit with water and spray it all in my compost to try to break down the material a little faster everytime I turn my compost.

Thank you again, I'll just have to do a little more research though make sure I am doing things right.

Sorry I just edited to show you a video I found on YouTube on how to make a bokashi bucket, I thought it was prety cool. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlh5yPGJJo

This message was edited Jan 23, 2010 7:30 PM

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Capecod, I just started a batch of bokashi today, I am so excited! I used the instructions that were in the last blog you sent me. As far as containers I don't have any just yet but will definetely do a little more research about building my own container instead of having to spend so much money. I was able to find the wheat bran in a fresh market we have here in mobile I probably only spent about $4 max and then the EM I already had and also the molases. Acording to the instruction it will be ready in 2 to 3 weeks so I have a little more time to look for the perfect container. For what I understand it has to be one that can seal pretty tight right and not let any air in, is this correct? Thank you so much again for all the really good info you have sent me. I am sure this will speed things up in my composter, plus I am always looking to add beneficial bacteria into my compost as well, the more the merrier.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Carmen, at the Supermarket I got some 4 and 5 gallon buckets they get their mayo and mustard and stuff for their Deli etc. - and they have very good sealing lids. I find one that will slip into another...and I drill holes in the bottom of the inner bucket. I layer my kitchen garbage in this and the 'leachate' drips down into the outside bucket.

When it's full I put it in a big bottomless big garbage can...all the bugs get excited!!

I didn't realize how potent and leachate is until I used about 1/2 cup to a gallon of water and nearly fried all 100 asparagus roots!!! I have a few left!!

I used to do this...but I found it was a 'ritual' and I was not producing enough kitchen waste with just Bob and me. So my new Qt. of EM will still be put to use....I spray my greenhouse with it AND the gardens. Tropical plants, like Heliconia, tend to collect water in the flowers that stinks....so I spray the whole gardens.... I spray the dog down when she rolls in something. I also water it in to my new bed, with molassas and some fish fertilizer to get the worms happy.

You might try just wetting your compost with EM and sugar or molassas and letting the micro organisms go to work. I have heard that sometimes composts get slow because they lack "sugar" if they are high in yardwaste and low in food scraps.

I also have a problem with humidity, and I could not keep my wheatbran from going moldy...

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

Yeah, the search engine's down. But luckily, several pages have been tagged "bokashi": http://davesgarden.com/tools/tags/tag.php?tag=bokashi

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

You guys are just so wonderful thank you for all the info, boy it looks like I have a whole lot to read and learn about this new composting method.

Aloha how did you get those containers did you go to the deli and asked if they had any available or did you have to purchase them. Yesterday I saw a guy on youtube that made his bucket out of a cat littler container and just placed a grid at the bottom and placed a spigot, it actually looked almost like the ones they sell for $50-$70, but I think your method is probably a lot simpler and that is what I am all about, making it simple.

I am also interested in the leachage I wonder how much to dilute it to fertilize the plants and not kill them, that's funny when I use the leachage from my worm compost or make compost tea it does not burn roots at all, but maybe this beign a fermented product it might be a lot stronger.

Yesterday I started turning my compost I usually do this every 10 days or so and I was very happy to find tons of worms in it, this is the first time I actually saw compost worms in my compost I was so excited, I also have to add that I had tons of ants as well so I had to be very careful not to touch the compost at all, one thing I have noticed is that my compost just does not heat up at all like some other people's compost and I am wondering if this might be a cause as well, your idea of placing molases and EM is a good one I actually think it might work, but I also wanted to place all my bokashi scraps in my compost as well see if that would speed the process as well.

I made a 1 pd batch yesterday and I have it sealed and in a dark place but I would like to dry it out and I am wondering if it can be dried inside my house as well, most people that I've seen on you tube dry it outside but I am affraid my dogs might get at it, so any ideas on how to dry this stuff? Also how long does this stuff usually last?

Puddle pirate thank you so much for all the good info, I'll have a lot of reading to do, I am sure all the answer to my questions are there in the info you just tagged

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Sorry I had a question, I was just reading one of the articles that Puddle pirate sent me and just saw that you have to mix the bran with clorine free water, unfortunately I did not know this and I just used warm tap water which has chlorine in it, will this kill the bacteria? should I start a new batch with either rain water or chlorine free water?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
I am also interested in the leachage I wonder how much to dilute it to fertilize the plants and not kill them,

Carmen, here's a quote from the internet on an Australian site with some good info about diluting your Bokashi juice as fertilizer. You may have already seen this at: http://www.bokashi.com.au/Bokashi-Instructions.htc
In my case, my Bokashi buckets always seemed to produce a lot of "juice" so I would dutifully mix up large trash-cans full of Bokashi-fertilizer mixed with rainwater in these proportions and pour it around my gardens. It never burned foliage and might have helped-- but I'm not sure, since I also use a lot of compost tea and other organic ferts in my garden. About a year ago I decided it was too much effort so I just started pouring the leachate down my kitchen sink to help my septic system!

Quoting:
Bokashi Juice can be used for:
The Garden – Bokashi Juice contains nutrients from the food waste and is alive with Effective Micro-organisms (EM) and makes a terrific fertiliser. To fertilise an existing garden or pot plants use 1 teaspoon to 2-3 litres of water and apply directly to the soil. For trees and shrubs use 2 teaspoons to 2-3 litres of water. Do not apply directly to foliage.

Around the House – Pour the concentrated Bokashi Juice directly into your kitchen and bathroom drains, toilets or septic systems. The Effective Micro-organisms (EM) will help to prevent algae build-up and control odour. It will also help to clean up our waterways by competing with harmful bacteria.

Bokashi Juice cannot be stored and must be used within 24 hours after draining from the bucket

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I was LATER told to treat the leachage as fertilizer.... maybe about 1T to a gallon...but not to rely on it as a complete fert as the components in the garbage that ferment will determine the nutritional components.

My dog (a lab) loves to dig up the buried Bokashi garbage...that's why I use the rubbish can.

The heat of a compost pile is an activity that takes place in the beginning as many processes go on in a compost pile. After the heat (which worms stay away from) the other decomposition takes place. When you turn your pile, the heat doesn't happen and the worms are happier....

I think.....

Carol

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

In my old copy of "The Joy of Gardening", it says to place several hands full of cheap dry dog food in layers with clippings or whatever when you first build a compost pile. This supposedly accelerates the microbial action. It's the same principle as adding a spoon full of sugar to your yeast dough when making bread.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

capecod I could not open the site, I do like your idea of just placing the bokashi juices in the sink, since I already make compost tea out of castings I just like that better plus I don't have to worry about burning the plants with it, it tends to be prety harmless.

Yesterday I saw my sweet little dog climb in one of my newly planed raise beds I was prety furious, I will have to be very careful with her once I make bokashi. I was thinking of mainly using it in my compost pile since I have limited space in my raise beds.

Twiggy it is great to see you found the site, I actually have heard that people tend to put rabbit pellets on the compost to acelerate the process but I am happy to see you can also place dog food I'll have to try that since I already have dog food at hand, I have to admit the only thing I did was just to water it down with some EM mixed with water thinking that this might help but never thought about the molases mix or the significance of adding a sugar content into the bin. I do have to say that I am getting plenty of worms now that the weather is finally warming up.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Sorry, Carmen, I think I mis-copied one letter of the address. I'll try again. If you scroll down on this webpage you will find more information on using the "juice."
http://www.bokashi.com.au/Bokashi-Instructions.htm

I had the exact same experience with one of my little dogs in a raised bed in which I had buried a bucket-full of Bokashi-fermented food scraps. My heretofore mild-mannered mutt climbed into my flower bed every chance she got and dug furiously to unearth and eat the scraps. I concluded that I hadn't buried them deep enough (12 inches, and the recommendation is at least 18 inches), and that I should have put down a covering of chicken wire or other screen material on top of the soil to deter animals. Since then, I've been putting the Bokashi-scraps into my compost bins instead.

BTW, I throw a handful of alfalfa pellets into my compost bins to accelerate the process.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you Capecod it seems to work now I'll have to take a moment and read it. Yes I was thinking of using my bokashi in my compost bin mostly because it is enclosed and except for worms ants and other little bugs it will be difficult for my dogs to get in it. I am still researching about how to build the bokashi bucket, I just want one that is not extremely big so I can place it underneath my sink, a 5 gallon one is just too huge.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

They have 2 and 3 gal buckets too....they might work...

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you ALoha I'll see if I can find them, I am now waiting on my bokashi mix to be fermented completely, I really want to make sure that it did not go bad on me, any sugestions on how to dry this stuff? I have dogs and kids so I am wondering if placing it in a shallow container and spreading it and keeping it inside the house will work, or do I have to dry it outside?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

For the buckets, try the Deli sections of large supermarkets...restaurants have them, too.....

I dry the stuff on an old shower curtain on the floor of my garage with the doors open....NOT in full sun or light as the UV will kill the bacteria. Just need air flow. Every hour or so, I rake thru it with a leaf rake.

Carol

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Carol Thank you, I have only have gone to Walmart to see if they carry the buckets you mentioned but they say they don't, I still might try Super Target and see if they have any, if not I'll just go ahead and buy some from the Depot they are not that expensive and was told they also have 2 gallon buckets as well. I only made a pound of Bokashi just to try it out, I am wondering if I was not to dry it how long would it keep?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Don't know...youi could try. It does get moldy even dry if it rewets with humid weather.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

O.K, Its been 2 weeks and I uncovered my bokashi mix, I really can't tell if it is good or spoiled, it has a very strong pickle almost too strong pickle smell, I don't see any white stuff growing on it or black either, it really does not smell that pleasant so I am wondering whether or not this is a good indication that it might be spoiled, any help would be much appreciated it.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Hi Carminator: In my experience if the bokashi mixture is "spoiled" it smells really terrible--putrid in fact. (I claim that I can tell the difference between pickle-y and putrid, but my DH might claim differently! ;-) You can still bury a putrid-smelling mix in the garden, or in your compost-pile--the worms will take care of it eventually. To enhance the growth of beneficial white mold, I'm thinking that you should sprinkle another handful or two of bakashi onto the mix. This usually helps a lot.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

CapeCod, the one that smells bad is not the food itself, I still have not sprinkled the bokashi in any food at all, but the bokashi powder or wheat bran itself, I was trying to follow this instructions to make my own bokashi medium instead of buying it in the stores, here is the website. http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/SSzretter/10164/
I am not sure what the bokashi mix is suppose to smell like but mine smells a little too strong I think, not too pleasant so I am almost 100% sure I probably made a bad batch, I followed the instructions all the way, the only thing is maybe the water was tap water and had not been sitting for 24 hours to let the chemicals evaporate, other than that I can't think of what went wrong, I might try again with either rain water and see if this will make a difference.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

oh, sorry, Carminator--I thought you meant the food scraps PLUS Bokashi.
Boy, I do not have any expertise about mixing up your Bokashi mix, since I purchase mine already made. I'm sure hoping someone else has more experience and can respond to your predicament.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

That's O.K CapeCod, I am actually thinking of purchasing some myself since I don't know how the finished product is suppose to look like or even smell, this way I can get a better idea. By the way how long does your bag of Bokashi last?

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Quoting:
By the way how long does your bag of Bokashi last?

I buy EM-1 Rice Bran Bokashi on the web (EM America) , three 2-pound bags at a time, and the directions say "use within one year of purchase," which I am able to do. I have read of some DG folks who just spray their food-scraps with the activated EM-1 activated liquid, also available from the website, but I use the rice bran bokashi. Which, by the way, has no odor.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you CapeCod tha's not too bad. I think I might try them and see before I try making my own batch again.

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

Good luck, Carminator!
Keep us posted on how your Bokashi-method is working out for you. I like the system because it allows me to compost ALL food scraps.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Before I ever made bokashi I bought it to see the moisture content etc.... If it smells putrid it could mean that too much air got to it.... it should be airtight. I put my mix in a heavy plastic bag, twist it up getting all the air out and then I put it in a 4 gal bucket with an airtight lid....and leave it for about 2 weeks. The 'bran' should have a white mold on it....

good luck.

mobile, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you Aloha, I did place my bokashi in a ziplog baggie and then placed it in a black garbage bag which I closed as well, I thought it was air tight but I guess maybe it was not. Another problem could be also that I use regular tap water and I did not let it rest for a day to let all the bad chemicals out of it, I know that I've tried making just regular compost tea, or worm casting tea before with this water out of the faucet and it has gone bad, but as soon as I use rain water the results are good. I will see if I can make another batch with both better water and also place the bokashi in a sealed container.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Bravo!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.