Can I plant Cypress trees now?

Enid, OK

I bought some little cypress trees at Lowes right after Christmas. Their tiny little pots dry out pretty quickly I wondered if I could plant them outside now? Zone 6b in Oklahoma, or do I need to keep them inside til spring?

They are supposed to be Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana Elwoodii

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Best to keep them just above freezing until spring. I'd put them in larger pots for now, in a cool but not cold position (unheated, except for protection from frost), preferably with fairly good light.

Resin

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I know this is an old thread, but ran across it,

I thought cypress trees liked to be near water, or at least need a lot of water? Isn't it too dry in the OK summers for a cypress to thrive?
I think they get a pretty extensive root system on them as well and are huge trees, wouldn't be for a small yard? Ruin the plumbing, sidewalks, ect?
I think they are beautiful, but just always shied away from them myself.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Frilly:

Re-read the first post, where enid mentions the plant as Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Elwoodii'. That's a different tree from the Bald-cypress (Taxodium distichum) you are referring to.

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Elwoodii' is a needled conifer sometimes called Lawson False-cypress or Port Orford Cedar (both of which would throw Resin off).

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/78976/

By the way, Bald-cypress does just fine in drier conditions, thank you very much. They are excellent street and lawn trees, tolerating compacted disturbed soils better than a lot of other trees typically used that die quickly in stressful environments.

One of the best places I've seen Taxodium used that you wouldn't have thought of: shopping mall parking islands. Tough as all get out, and the Bald-cypress is just preening there, pretty as you please.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several taxodiums in my midwestern yard, incl t distichum and t ascendens,
both doing fine in typical yard conditions.
But I a don't think I've ever seen a chamaecyparis lawsonii cultivar thrive around these parts.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Really? I don't think I've ever seen a bald cypress in dry conditions, I'm going to have to keep my eyes peeled. Fairly common tree where I am so they don't stick out when I see them. They are a problem free large tree but I always thought they need a high water table or easy access to water.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_cypress

I did mistakenly supposed the original poster was referring to a Bald Cypress. I see that ruffled someone's feathers for some reason.

According to this wiki link, the well known 'bald cypress' is also commonly known as the 'swamp cypress', same tree if I am understanding correctly. They are native to hot humid areas with a high annual rainfall, and have an extensive root system which includes 'knees'. It can reach 130 feet in height. Not a lawn tree by any means, unless your lawn is the size of a park...

They can grow in much dryer conditions, and even poor soil, however they do not thrive in those conditions.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My bald cypress is doing fine - full, lush foliage in normal garden situation.
Certainly not a swamp.
And I think the knees are charming.
Here's a shot of one of the knees between a couple hostas.

Thumbnail by Weerobin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.