Garden catalog faves

Columbia, SC

Although the weather these past few days has been delightful, poring over catalogs this time of year is great fun. I always enjoy Plant Delights, but I appreciate Niche Gardens, too. For seeds, I go online to Dianne's. I really miss Value Seeds.

I was wondering which catalogs are your favorites?

Raleigh, NC

well, the only ones I get are irises: Schreiners, Cooleys, Keppel, etc.

I get Plant Delights catalogue, but they are in this county so I go there often.

Sure wish I could get some from seed companies! I'm planning on starting my own petunias this year, but have discovered that most companies do not list all that they carry on their websites

This message was edited Jan 20, 2010 6:22 PM

Columbia, SC

bonjon, I can't say enough great things about Wildseed Farms, especially their petunias. They're reasonably priced and easy to order from online. Try their 'Laura Bush' petunias, both the magenta one and the 'Pink Laura Bush' if pink is easier to use. The petunias germinate easily using the winter sowing method and will bloom from April until frost if you start the seeds now.

I just noticed they now sell three different packs of petunias. A packet is just $1.39.

http://shop.wildseedfarms.com/Laura-Bush-Petunia/productinfo/8882/

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I ordered from Renee's Garden and Baker Creek Heirlooms this year. There was an article in the NY Times yesterday about the favorite seed sources of well known gardeners.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/garden/21seeds.html

Columbia, SC

ardesia, you're a real doll! Thanks so much for the site!

Incidentally, our Sunday paper has idiotically decided to move gardening articles to the Thursday paper. I suspect it won't be long before the editors drop gardening information altogether. Grrrr.

I feel embarrassed to confess that I haven't grown tomatoes before, but this year I'll be wintersowing some heirloom seeds I'm excited about. Still, I'm going to wait until the first or second week in February before sowing the seeds.

I'll just have to figure out how to outwit the bunnies that are already patrolling my small garden~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.