SALVIA FOR 2010 - WHOSE IN?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, this is gonna have to go both ways, annuals or perennials..

I like May Night the best for a perennial.

I also like the red annual salvias, they make fine border plants.

So whats your pleasure, pain and strife?

Mine is its winter, the May Nights are dormant and I dont have any annual seed! And I dream of doing perennial cuttings! LOL!

Or photo for that matter!

(Edited for spelling!)

This message was edited Jan 20, 2010 11:40 AM

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I grow a few different Salvias. For the past 4 years I have started Salvia S.farinacea. "Victoria". It is a very nice blue and easy from seed.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats lovely! I think the red annual salvia I had was caled a firecracker.. not sure, its been a really long time.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Salvias, here are:

S. coccinea (yes it does pull in Hummers!)
S. elegans (simply incredible fragrant LEAVES!)
Silver Sage (cannot remember botanical name, lol. This is the one with huge, furry leaves)
S. officnalis (monstrus herb)
S. officnalis 'Purpurea'
S. 'Victoria'? (the one that has tall, blue blooms)
S. 'Mixed Victorias'??? (same as above, but with purple and white mixed in).

The one good thing about Salvias is how attractive they are to Hummers. On one plant of officnalis, 5+ hummers can be found. I cannot decide which one is more beautiful;)!

~Daniel

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My hummers get so tired from not knowing what flower to go to next I think they sit on the branches when thinking iabout it! They are so beautiful!

THE secret to attract Hummers:
Plant Cypress Vine.
It works! Before having it, 1 hummer a week was good. After, every time you look out the family room window, at least two are feasting and chattering away!
I have got lots of seeds for this plant too. Anybody want seeds? This plant never fails, or disspoints!

~Daniel

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I was surprised at which of my Salvias the hummers frequented most- 'Black and Blue'! And, its growing in quite a lot of shade, where I don't see as many hummers. I was expecting B&B to behave as an annual in my zone, but its returned for the last 4 or 5 years.

The various colors of S.coccinea (Hummingbird Sage) have been my favorite annual Salvias thus far. 'Coral Nymph' is a real charmer, and I'm looking forward to growing a white and a lavender form this year for the first time. Last year I discovered that they overwintered indoors, under lights very easily. One was in a pot with coleus and begonias I brought in, and it kept at least a few blooms all winter. I took cuttings in spring and used them as bedding plants. Here's a red one with a yellow Dahlia, which is all washed out- it was a bright yellow, but there was no washing out that red!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I finally got some decent blooms from Yvonne's Salvia this past summer, hoping this year to achieve one of those 4-6' specimens I've seen pics of!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

I grow a lot of Salvia's, some of them you can see here http://www.seedsite.eu/r__t.htm (scroll down a bit to reach the Salvia's)

Besides those I grow:
Salvia traijuga
Salvia turkestanica purple
Salvia farinacea
Salvia patens royal blue
Salvia glutinosa

Most of the perennials bloom in their first year.
Like gemini_sage, I hope to get bigger plants of Yvonne's salvia. I just started the seeds, to give it time to grow. Last year I sowed the seeds February 12, but that was too late.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Jonna, your Salvia viridis are so lovely! I tried those for the first time last year, got some blooms, but they didn't perform all that well. I have some seeds to try again this year- will try them in a different spot and keep my fingers crossed.

Another one I tried last year was S.subrodunda, sweet, airy wands of dainty orangy-scarlet blooms on 4' plants- I really like them. Seems like one the hummers would love, although I didn't notice much activity around them.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

At this time I have salvia plants:
Limelight
Mexican Bush
Pineapple
Hot Lips
Blue Bedder
Mealy Cup.

Seeds to sew:
s.canariensis
s.clevelandii
s.coccincea"Brenthurst"
s.jurisicii
s.lyrata"Purple Volcano"
s.nemerosa"Cardonna"
s.retans
s.roemeriana"Hot Trumpets"
s.splendens"Jewled Towers"
s.subrotunda

and still looking for:

s.africana-lutea
s.bulleyana
s.dorisiana
s.nipponium"Fuji Snow"

just a few...*G*

Gemini_sage, don't know if you sowed the S. viridis in or outdoors. I noticed they perform much better if they selfseed or are winter sown. Why they get bigger that way, I don't know. It's strange, because when I sow them indoors I have earlier plants, but they never grow as big as the ones who where sowed outside.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Jonna, you hit the nail on the head! Sure enough, I started them indoors, under lights. Thanks sooo much for that tip! I believe I'll wintersow most of my Salvias this year, aside from Yvonne's.

gemini_sage, I looked up the S.subrodunda and I would love to get seeds of that one. Do you have some seeds left? If so, please have a look at my website to see if you can find something you want in return www.seedsite.eu
ALL seeds are available for trading.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I do have plenty of seeds left, glad to share. I'll take a look at your offerings, I remember looking at your site recently and was impressed by the variety!

Salvia elegans in bloom>

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Showoff!

I posted a series of Salvia elegans in the PFs, if anybody is interested.

~Daniel

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

That is beautiful Daniel! I just looked at your PF pics, and realized that is Pineapple Sage! I quit growing them because they would start blooming just before hard frost. When do yours start blooming? Do you bring the plant(s) in for winter? Another gorgeous one I loved did that too, Mexican Bush Sage. Note the velvety calyxes on them, they feel like velvet too!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/28305/

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I tried bringin gin my pineapple sage and either it died or went dormant.. I booted it out to the GPS for storage for the winter.. Im seriously doubting it will come back even with the mild winter we have benn having.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Did it bloom for you?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Last years pineapple sage did not bloom for me, but I have had it in other years where it did. As I recall it has red blossoms.

Gemini, they did not bloom outdoors, but started in the Porch (it's glassed in!), then indoors it bloomed some more. I took lots of cuttings, including one that took off and it growing like WOW!
Their blooms are the brightest red imaginable. Very good for hummers.

~Daniel

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Pineapple sage grows like a small bush for me...3-4 ft tall and as bushy. Will normally come back each year for me but I'm not so sure it will this year after having temps in teens. It looked like it was still viable when I pruned it back so we could replace the smokestack on the woodburning stove.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You guys are a bad influence. I finished off my wish list and placed all my seed orders last week end. Ended up ordering these Salvias: Fairy Queen, Sahara, St. John Fire and Evolution. I have Victoria seeds left over from last year. ;)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!! Thats US! Bad I's!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

My wishlist is NEVER done

Right after I just finished last years wishlist this year, I put together a list of 72 more!!!

~Daniel

Forgot this blurry, but really cute pic of a Cricket Frog on S. officinallis>

~Daniel

Thumbnail by DMgardener
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Theres a frog thread on the floral design forum...! Lots o cuties there!

Wish list... still looking fo rthe salvia seeds or plants that I like.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

DM
found this lil cute grey frog on my plumaria last summer. He so cute. Would make a darling lapel pin....if he'd sit still....LOL

Thumbnail by bigred
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I am really excited about trying coral nymph this year. Does anyone have any tips for starting and growing salvia?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Salvias need light to geminate and form a coating of "mucus" to aid in germinating so they must be surface sown. Salvias are warm growers so I generaly wait until 2-3 week in March to sow mine in the greenhouse.

CUTE grey froggie!!!!

The only tip I have for Salvia from seeds is: Warmth. LOL!

~Daniel

Thanks, bigred. I am glad that you mentioned the mucus. I'll add them to the start indoors late group on the heated shelf.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

once it forms the seeds look like tiny frog eggs to me

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

My friend had bought some kind of special frog for an indoor pet. She asked her DH to pick up some crickets for the frog and her DH came home with singing crickets. She said she couldn't send the crickets into the frog's atrium since they sounded too darn happy to be dinner.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953765/

FROGS!

Be careful with crickets, they eat silk and wool. If any get loose they may start snacking in your closet.

One Salvia that can be found anywhere here is Russian Sage. It smells like an excellent Sage, but better. Kinda undescribable...
They seem to like the hot summers and cold winters of Cinci so everybody plants them (but me... Too much like a ghost and too big)....

PF: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/733/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.