Adenophora lilifolia (Ladybells)

Calgary, Canada

Anyone grow this from seeds in Canada?
The package says 2 or 3 weeks warm.
Databases are inconclusive? less than 5ºC or 41ºF or
several weeks in soil and no temperature given?
I am thinking a winter sow might work? or a frig sow?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

not sure what they are.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I've grown a couple of adenophora from seed, but not this one - at least not knowingly. (I'm hazy on the IDs of the ones I did grow - hard to find comprehensive descriptions for IDs of adenophora.)

Deno got significant germination (44%) at room temperature (20 deg C) in 2 weeks, so I'd start with that. If there is no germination after 2-3 weeks, move your pots outdoors or to a coldroom or to the refrigerator (whatever your setup allows) for a month or so, then into room temp again for germination. (This a pretty standard default plan for seed starting - try warm; if no germination, then cold.)

Winter sowing works for any seed that has a reasonable chance of withstanding spring frosts, e.g. any hardy perennial. So, yes, you could winter sow. Or you could give them a cold period in the fridge - there is no harm to be done by it. (Actually, cold, then warm, could be considered another basic default plan if no information is known.)

Calgary, Canada

I have half in frig and other half in a winter sow jug outside.

This is a woodland plant which has nice smelling bell flowers in the fall.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Hmm, I've never heard of (nor experienced) any adenophora with any particular fragrance... ? (Yes, they are generally late blooming). EDIT: I do see a few sites that claim it is fragrant, though. It will be interesting to hear an update in a couple of years time on fragrance ;>)

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 12:31 PM

(Zone 6a)

The other Adenophora, A. stricta grows wild here. So I'm thinking a wintersowing will probably work well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.