Garden Symposium at Callaway Gardens, Jan. 29 - 31

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi, to all the Georgia DGers! I received this info through our local Extension Office this morning and thought I would pass it along for your information. A short fuse for the registration deadline - January 22! I wish I could attend but time and money are both currently in short supply.

Jeremy

Quoting:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GET READY FOR THE GARDENING SEASON WITH NEW IDEAS AND TRICKS BY ATTENDING THE 24TH SOUTHERN GARDENING SYMPOSIUM AT CALLAWAY GARDENS®,

JANUARY 29-31, 2010

Eight Great Speakers at ONE event; Deadline to Register is January 22nd

PINE MOUNTAIN, GA (1/13/10) – Before you know it Spring planting season will be upon us. Get ready by spending a weekend learning latest trends and new ideas at Callaway Gardens’ 24th annual Southern Gardening Symposium, one of the nation’s premier gardening events.

Regardless of skill level, participants can listen and learn about gardening from an outstanding group of experts. This jam-packed schedule includes lectures, presentations and demonstrations. Though content-rich, this event provides the unique opportunity for personal interaction with the speakers throughout the weekend. The 2010 SGS program includes:

* Learning how to create an oasis in your own garden from Taunton Press’ “Idea” author Lee Anne White, who will discuss water garden design.

* Dreaming of a bold, tropical garden? Author Pam Baggett recommends sizzling plants for our sultry Southern climate.

* How about the dream “easy” garden? Author Pamela Crawford will highlight some of the easiest plants to grow in the southern garden.

* For the ultimate dream garden, June Mays will offer inspiration from the British landscape.

* Learn sustainable management practices including insect and disease basics from the University of Tennessee’s entertaining entomologist, Dr. Mark Windham.

* Sustainable gardening starts with good soil and William Cureton, a.k.a. “Captain Compost” will share his soil improvement techniques that anyone can do.

* George Sanko, from Georgia Perimeter College, will talk about ferns for shade gardens and even some ferns that tolerate sun.

* Keynote speaker, TV personality and garden writer Erica Glasener will share stories from ‘A Gardener’s Diary.’

In addition to these presentations, guests can indulge their passion at the SGS Marketplace offering one-stop shopping for the gardener. You’ll find an assortment of choice plants, many of which are touted by Symposium speakers as the new “must-haves”; a superb book selection including new releases by SGS speakers; and a delightful array of garden ornaments. SGS participants will have an exciting opportunity to participate in both silent and fun-filled live auctions.

The program registration fee of $225 includes Friday’s opening reception; Saturday’s continental breakfast, programs with printed materials, box lunch and evening banquet; and Sunday’s continental breakfast and programs with printed materials.

Simply call 706-663-5153, email education@callawaygardens.com. Deadline for registering is Friday, January 22, 2010.

The Southern Gardening Symposium is approved for seven contact hours for Georgia Certified Landscape Professional Continuing Education Units.

Callaway Gardens provides a variety of lodging options for SGS participants. The special rate of $75* per room per night is available in the Mountain Creek Inn® (based on double occupancy). Rates also are available in the Southern Pine Cottages, Mountain Creek Villas and the Lodge and Spa. This rate includes admission to Callaway Gardens per night of stay and day of departure. Nestled in the trees, the spacious Cottages and Villas are available for the choosing. Those looking to pamper themselves will love the luxury Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens.

For further information about SGS or to request a brochure, contact the Education Department at 1-800-CALLAWAY (225-5292), 706-663-5153 or education@callawaygardens.com.

Callaway Gardens®, is in Pine Mountain, Ga., 60 minutes southwest of Atlanta and 30 minutes north of Columbus. For additional information, call 1-800-CALLAWAY (225-5292) or visit www.callawaygardens.com.

*The above room rates are available only to registered SGS participants. Valid for Mountain Creek® Inn only and based on availability and double occupancy. Some restrictions apply. Symposium registration fee is separate.

Contact us about attending for future story ideas/leads in gardening trends, ideas, tips, etc.

About Callaway Gardens

For almost 60 years Callaway Gardens has provided “a place of relaxation, inspiration and a better understanding of the living world” for millions of visitors. Owned and operated by the non-profit Ida Cason Callaway Foundation, Callaway Gardens includes a garden, resort, preserve and residential communities on 13,000 acres in Pine Mountain, Georgia. Highlights include a butterfly conservatory, horticultural center, discovery center, chapel, inland beach, nature trails and special events throughout the year.

In addition, Callaway Gardens offers nearly 100,000 square feet of meeting space, 923 guest rooms, restaurants, a full-service spa, shops, golf, tennis, fishing and more.

Callaway Gardens Living includes five unique residential communities with custom homesites, lakefront properties and cottages on the golf course – each close-knit community offers an ideal home away from home or full-time residence.

Callaway Gardens is home to a 4,000 acre preserve – conserved, untouched land set aside for biological studies and environmental conservation.

Rachel M. Crumbley | Public Relations Manager | Callaway Gardens

O: 706-663-5187 | F: 706-663-5068 | rcrumbley@callawaygardens.com

Mailing: PO Box 2000, Pine Mountain, GA 31822-2000

Shipping: 205 North Cherry Ave., Pine Mountain, GA 31822

www.callawaygardens.com (Includes Media Room with Image Gallery)

Media: Twitter | Facebook “Rachel Crumbley” | RSS

General Interest: Twitter | Facebook | RSS

Callaway Gardens: Connecting Man and Nature in a way that benefits both.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info Jeremy,, too late now, but that looks like a good one for next year. But I am thinking that maybe we will extend our stay in Florida next January. We just got back from 2 weeks in New Smyrna Beach with mostly warm sunny days...I hate this cold dreary weather..

Elaine

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jeremy, missing you over on orchids. I'm trying to figure out if that Den. is going to do a spring bloom for me. Bumps are forming under the leaves. Whaddaya think? Does yours bloom whenever?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hi, Elaine and Laurel! Not much happening with my orchids currently, so I haven't been popping into the orchid forum often. I do have one Lady Slipper paphiopedilum making two flower buds that I'm coaxing along gently on the kitchen window sill. The flowers should be in full show in a couple of weeks. The paphs are my favorite orchids and I once had about a dozen of them, but killed most of them by trying to divide them. I don't know if others have had that experience, but thought I would ask in the Orchid Forum when I have the flowers to show. Christina has fallen in love with my dancing lady yellow Oncidium which has been in flower and on display in the kitchen on a shelf for a month or two. She rarely takes any interest in my flowers but is convinced the the "ladies" are moving and dancing and she sees choirs of angels and other apparitions in the flowers (did someone mention going back on their meds?? LOL) The Cymbidium you gave me is still in gorgeous bloom in the greenhouse and I am seeing the changes in flower colors that you mentioned. It is a real joy to have. Thanks!

The Dendrobium that ate Chicago does bloom at will whenever it wants to throughout the year, but it also sends out new shoots frequently, so I'm not sure if your bumps will be flowers or new canes. The flowers usually emerge from the center of the topmost leaves or somewhere near the top. If the bumps are near the soil line, it is probably giving you a new division.

I've felt more overwhelmed then usual lately, and suddenly have a few more urgent matters to which I must give my attention. I wish life had a pause button. I might be able to catch up and start afresh and not always feel like I'm a thousand dollars short and a month late (economic inflation even affects old adages like "a dollar short and a day late" LOL)

Jeremy

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jeremy, there are several orchid folks here as well and they don't necessarily post on orchids. Everyone is very friendly here so post away. There are also several Master Gardeners here. So you have something in common. If you want to post photos along the way, feel free.

I've got a cool Paph. getting ready to blow open. There are several Oncs. in spike as well as a few more exotic species poppin'. I'm laying low on their progress 'cause you know it's the kiss of death to post photos of orchids in bud.

Glad Christina is becoming a supporter. Good sign. Better when she becomes an enabler. :>)

Dollars are as long as ever but days are way too short. I blame global warming. It's burning them (the dollars) up way too fast!
Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.