How do I cut off or dig up baby plants from the main plant?

West Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

I have cannas that are growing lots and lots of smaller plants and i would like to put some in other areas. I understand that dividing a rhizome is done usually when it's dug up. But these are all in the ground growing like crazy. I don't want to dig each main plant up if I don't have to. The more I've cut back the more that springs up which is wonderful but I just want to spread them around. Please Help!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

You can take off divisions from the edges of the plants. Just make sure they have some rhizome with them. Shoots with roots already going is always good :)

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I took a piece off mine last year for my mom early in the spring.. I tried to take some off the edge but once i got it up it wasn't a big piece at all, in fact i think I cut through half the side of the rhizome.. I had to get another piece. This time i just brushed off some dirt so i could see the edge of the one i wanted, and took the piece the size i wanted.. You dont have to dig them up just brush some of the dirt off the top so you can see where they are.. Dont just guess, i lost a piece that way...
jen

West Hills, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks,
Abutilon and Smurf428, I'll dig down and make sure I get some shoots and roots. I have Peach Gigantum and Robert Kemp that are growing and spreading like crazy. I also have some Hootsie Tootsie while slower growing are just beautiful and continually blooming once thay got going, right now even with all this crazy rain in California the Hootsie Tootsie has 9 gorgeous blooms going. Thanks Alice.

Crestview, FL

I divide all mine every year, I dig up the entire bed of canna lilies, divide the rhizomes and then after adding Black Kow and fertilizer and tilling the beds I replant all of them, I do it one bed at a time. They multiply like crazy and it keeps me from having to buy new rhizomes every year.
joy

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I have to dig mine every year for winter storage.. I agree they multiply like crazy.. I have more then i could ever plant.. good thing people like to trade and my family are always willing to take some..
jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.