Help! Hot and dry climate dweller looking at Rosy Dawn.

Kennewick, WA

I live in a high desert area and I want to grow coleus. I have a couple good spots, and I do irrigate, but was wondering if you guys could help me prune my list down by either telling me:
a) if one did not perform for you
b) not tolerant of heat (not sun tolerant is ok, I have shade)
c) If one wasn't a vigorous grower for you
d) if you have some of the cultivars available as a cutting and would be willing to send me some for postage

I really want to try out coleus this year.

Here is my 'want' list:

Golda
Flamingo
Bronze Pagoda
Royal Glissade
Watermelon
Perilla 'Magilla' (I know, not a coleus)
Religious Rutabega
JoJo
Henna
Trailing Plum Brocade
Trailing Rose
Trailing Green Olives
Elfers
Mariposa
Haines
Pink Chaos
Peter Wonder
Sparkler aka Smoldering

I want to get a really nice pink that doesn't muddy. I am hoping one of the above doesn't. If you have a suggestion for best pink, please note it. I searched for key words 'favorite pink' and got 0 results.

I appreciate your time.

I can't wait to be able to exchange cuttings, observations on color/growth habits, garden performance, etc.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I had trailing rose and trailing green olives last year and they were wonderful.
Trailing rose (I think)

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Trailing green olives. I loved this one, too. Kinda plain olive green but pretty red tint in new leaves and stems. The snapdragons and nicotiana tried to swallow it but green olives fought back like a champ.

Karen

Thumbnail by kqcrna
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Of note, it does get hot here in summer but unlike your climate, it's very humid. Cuttings from them have held up fine all winter, though, with the furnace blasting dry air.

Karen

Port Vincent, LA(Zone 8b)

ultasol, I think you are in zone 8 as well. I know that your zone 8 is not the same as mine down here, but we realllly get hot down south. I find that it is better (for me anyway) to grow them in dappled shade regardless, because our sun tends to fad some of the colors. But I just water them with the rest of my plants and they do fine. Pam at Rosy Dawn, is great with knowledge on all the areas of the country. Go to their website and email them your questions. They always respond. Tell them you are wanting to order on their classified ad on Daves, but you need help first.

Karen, beautiful photos.

Debbie

Kennewick, WA

Thanks guys! I will send my questions to Rosie Dawn's experts. I'm actually zone 6, hedging on zone 7, but we get very little precipitation here. It's hot and dry in the summer, but we occasionally get darn cold in the winter. That said, I have a Chitalpa (intergeneric hybrid between a Catalpa tree and Chilopsis aka desert willow) that has gone through two winters with no damage at all- and I was told it's a zone 7.

That said, our soil is fertile and I have had some fantastic vegetable gardens here. The first year here I planted based on my experience in a zone 5 garden in NY- figuring zone 6 wouldn't be a much longer season.

Boy, was I wrong. My eggplants were almost waist high and my basil produced enough to fill the freezer of all of my friends with pesto- I donated a lot to the food pantry that year.

Now that I have a bit better feel for growing here, I want to try some plants that I'm a bit unsure how to tackle in such a hot dry climate (we usually get one or more weeks at about 105 in the summer- low humidity).

I grew up in AZ, but I have no memories of growing or using Coleus there however it has been a few years.

I appreciate all of your help! I am looking forward to future participation in forum discussions.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont know about your dry area but Watermelon was great for me last year.I had Elfers one year but it was so close to Watermelon in color and character,I didnt take cuttings.
This is Watermelon and Glory.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Most of the Tri-Cities is zone 7 (it's colder the farther you get from the rivers), but it's not typical. The growing season is unusually long, however we're prone to very cold or hot spikes which can catch sensitive plants unprepared. We're also low altitude, which means that a very low relative humidity (as we feel it) does not translate to as low an absolute humidity (as the plants feel it) as it does in places like Wyoming. Have you seen the Sunset Western Garden Book's description of the area?

I've done well with some of the new coleus varieties as long as they are well-irrigated. If you've got some of the sandier soil that runs through the area, that will mean very regular watering during the hottest parts of the summer.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They really like a more humid climate. They originate in the far east and Florida is perfect.
There are some that DIDNT perform for me. Dr.Wu
Fishnet Stockings

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Good Morning All,

Ultasol,

I have found that the dark reds do the best here in the summer, for there is a problem of wilting with our heat. Rutabaga did well, Perilla. and Trailing Plum also were winners. The light green/yellows are good in the am and late pm. During the day they look like they are on death's door.

Good luck. Experiment...what's the worse that can happen?

Hap

I had a Perilla that was doing fine, tho I just about never watered it. Felt sorry for it one day, watered, and it died, pffft. I'm believing they are akin to succulents.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.