Spring RU 2010-Picking a date

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Ok, I have a general time frame of dates to pick from for the RU that I think will work the best weather wise.

The weekend of April 24th-25th thru June 12-13th, or the last weekend of June. It's a wide range right now but I figure that will make it easier to narrow it down.

I will warn you all ahead of time: I can't garantee that I will make it. If the greenhouse is still up I may not be able to get the day off. It took quite a bit of hasseling last year to get time off for the spring one so this year may not be any different.

Post on this thread your preferences for the dates. We need to try and have the date picked out by the end of Feb at the latest so that we can use the rest of the time to get door prizes together, cuttings started and making sure we can get that day off from work if needed.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I think I can make it any time you have it. I personally think mid June is best. It probably won't be too hot yet but people will have plenty of both perennials and annuals to share.

The place and my health will determine whether or not I can come.

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Don't know if We can make it never do till just before the date but June would work best for us and it would still depend on where it is. Don't see as good as I use to and heavy traffic bothers me

Sedalia, MO

June is good with us also, and like the others depends where it is, we to have old eyes and cain't see to drive great in the dark.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I can't make it the weekend of June 5-6. That's the weekend of our MG Garden Tour. Any other weekend works for me ... so far. =)

Ok, I will start working on location this week. If you have any ideas, post them here.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Where do most people from from the east side of the state or west? The end of June there is a Dayliliy tour in Columbia from all the local breeders. We also have Shelter Gardens and MU to visit. If it was here I could set some stuff up. Maybe we could tour one of MU greenhouses. Thoughts?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Allen, we have members all over the state. The closer to the center of the state the RU is held the better I think. Tho how one determines the center of MO can be tricky. At this time I don't know of but one from the St. Louis area. There are quite a few south of Sedalia in the Ozark & west to Humansville areas. A few in the K.C. area & one in St. Joseph..The membership and subscriber list will show several in Sedalia and Marshall but only one besides myself ever attends RUs.

Unfortunately most of us are older people who have health issues which prevent us from making long trips. That is what accounts for the low attendence at the last few RUs. Health, gas prices and jobs just keep us more or less hometown bound. We all wish it wasn't that way.

I do hope a RU can be planned and attended for this spring.

GOD bless and keep each and all of you.

I was trying to think of a good central location that had places to go too and I think Colombia is a good choice. What does everyone else think of that? We're just tossing around ideas for now. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Allen, we are all over the state and a couple are from Wichita KS, hope they come.

I have been to the Shelter garden and really enjoyed it. Didn't have much time but would love to go back. Would love to go on the daylily tour that sounds great also.
Columbia is not bad from KC at all just barely over 2 hours.

Now that I have said all of that I don't really care where it is, but I like June dates the best.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Columbia would be great for me as it is only 1 1/2 hours away.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Our first MO DGRU was in Columbia. I could drive right to the park but can't remember the name of it. It is right on the north side of I 70 just as you come in from the west. I think you can take the Stadium Blvd. exit, turn left, go across the overpass and about 2 more blocks to an entrance to the park We reserved a nice shelter which had grills, rest rooms close by, etc. Alan probably knows the one I am talking about. It's maybe 5 min. north from the Shelter Insurance gardens.

I think mid June is a good time because Pepper's job might be slowing down enough for her to get the day off and everyome will have time to start seedlings, root cuttings, know what they had to buy extras of just to get what they wanted etc.The weather should be good then too. Not too hot yet as a rule.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

Ok, June for the month and Columbia for the location. It's a good central location and most of us can easily reach it.

June weekends avaliable:

5-6
12-13
26-27

I'm leaving out Father's Day weekend so we can leave that weekend for family time since it's an important holiday weekend.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I'll vote for one of the 2 later dates. Probably the 12 - 13 one. By the later weekend we may be getting some summer heat and it will getting a bit late to transplant annuals.

Sedalia, MO

Sounds good to me.

Not that I don't love you all but I vote NOT for the 26th of June cause that is my birthday and I might get to go on a trip.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Where is the local in Columbia? Take your time...

Allanme, One of the MU greenhouse or Shelter Gardens tour is best to see and if they have some cafe there? Please let me know about this tour place website...

This is my first time in Columbia as I drove by few yrs ago and never stop there yet! So, I'm in...

I vote for June 12-13...

Blessed you all...

Thumbnail by JuJu55

LOL Happ!!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I will send some emails out and start gathering info. Columbia has dozens of parks now and it would be easy to pick one. I think we should wait and see when the Daylily tour is before settling on a date. Hopefully it will land on a weekend that works for everyone.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I vote for June12-13. I can't make it June 5-6. And as leaflady said, it may be too hot by June 26-27.

Really would love to go on the daylily tour!
I have a few pics from the shelter house gardens. They had the largest ee's I have ever seen. I would love to have one of the leaves to cast, but I didn't take one, I was good. There was a water garden with beautiful blooming lotus and lilies.
They also have a great garden for the blind, which was really interesting.

Gravois Mills, MO

I think columbia is about the best choice because you have a lot of motels around. I thought about the Park here in Laurie but I have no oidea what will be going on in there that weekend. It is a really exceptional place for such a small town.

Imames----- Have you ever been up to Laurie to the Hillbilly Fair,car show or BBQ cookoff. ???

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Oz - Yes, I have been to the Hillbilly Fair. We drive through the Christmas Lights show every year, too. You're right, the Laurie Fairgrounds is a nice park for such a small town. Probably the nearest motel to Laurie would be the Sleep Inn in Camdenton.

I like Columbia. As many times as I've been there (one of my sons attended MU), I've never been to the Shelter Gardens. I have always wanted to see them; it just never seems to make it on my To Do list.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Pepper,
I just heard from someone in Missouri that hasn't been to a RU because they didn't think there was any in MO. It might be a good idea to start a thread in the RU forum.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/roundup/all/
Bernie

Thanks Bernie!!

I will start doing some reseach on the Shelter Gardens and other places that Allan mentioned in his posts. I will also see if I can find out about the Daylily tour. I know Allan is busy and will be back on here with the info he has as soon as he can.

Do we want do go for June 12-13th for sure? I will post in the RU forum as soon as I know for sure.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey pepper here is their contact info.

Central Missouri Hemerocallis Society
Bob Tankesley-Clarke, President
31642 Wieneke Branch Rd.
California, MO 65018
Tel: 573-796-3829
E-mail: adamgrove@socket.net
Blaise Brazos, Vice-President
615 W Broadway
Columbia, MO 65203
Tel: 573-449-4345
E-mail: brazos@tranquility.net

You are right I am super busy but I will help when I can. Shelter is a open garden it is where my wedding was at so you don't need to make reservations.

Hey allan!! Great and thanks for the info. I'll definitely be needing your help at times so I will dmail when needed. :~)

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper -
June 12-13 sounds good to me.

June would be a wonderful time I think.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I hope someday you will consider the Missouri Botanical Gardens
http://www.mobot.org/
and then there's also:
http://www.shawnature.org/
The Missouri Botanical Garden is considered one of the top 10 Botanical Gardens in the United States.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

birder17 I just noticed you are from Jackson I grew up in near Patton. I am planning on going to the Botanical Gardens over the summer myself.

I went to the Botanical Gardens a few years ago. It was pretty neat.

Ok, weekend of June 12-13th it is. Most likely the main RU will be on Saturday and Sunday is for those of you still hanging around and you all can do something together that day too.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I am planning on going this spring to see the Azaleas and bulbs. Then, I try to hit the roses in the summer. It's always a treat for me to go and I never see everything.
Allenme: I have never been to Patton, but I have been through/by Columbia.

Tomorrow I will restart a new thread for picking a location. I don't think the one I was working on went thru. There was a gateway error when I tried to submit it.

I meant parks in Colombia. lol. I'm figuring on Shelter gardens but want to throw a few options out just in case.

Ok, to save me some time, those of you who want to have it at Shelter Gardens post and say "Aye" and those of you who would like to see a few other parks listed that are in Colombia post that too so that I know.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Pick a new location? For the RU?

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Shelter Gardens sounds good to me, but I'm open to another park if it would work out better.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't think we can cook in Shelter it would just be a nice place to visit. Here is a list of the parks and their location.

http://www.gocolumbiamo.com/ParksandRec/Parks/index.php

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.