ORVG COFFEE HOUSE #169 January Blues.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We came from here...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1067663/

Looks like we have finally hit some average weather FINALLY!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy we have one of those!
Didn't know what it was.
Great now we have to clean it up!.....lol!

Love those bowls!

Don't get me wrong Robyn is a GREAT Painter!
She just tends to get a bit more paint on her than I do....LOL!

Ric

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Marcy, I LOVE the bowls, bench, and the pottery!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys! We got that bench for five bucks in a used furniture shop. They didn't know what it was...lol. Like I said..it wasn't a very nice one...but I knew it wouldn't look too bad, painted up. I have seen some that were a lot nicer...and pricier too. Is that a word???? LOL.
Awww I'm sure Robyn is a good painter, Ric. Dave can be too...when he wants to be. He just doesn't like to paint...so gets in a hurry to get it done. And like you said, a lot of it is in being close to the work!
Well..haven't got to the cookies yet. Been doing laundry, dishes, etc. So now it's time to get busy!

Brownstown, IN(Zone 5b)

Marcy Love the bench and the bowls. I love mixing bowl sets but don't buy them unless I can use them. No place to display. Did I see some hardwood flooring under the bench? I love that too. My house originally had hardwood flooring on almost all of it but with all the adding on and putting down of carpets the floors are now a mess. A few years ago I got some new carpet upstairs and thought to myself when I take up that old shag carpet maybe I will just use the wood flooring. Well guess what we had allowed the carpet people to glue the carpet to the floor. Now we are in our later years and no amount of cajoling could convince DH to scrape off that black rubber backing. I really didn't try but as most of you girls know there are somethings we just let go. Right?? If I had it all to do over of course I would do it differently. Hindsight....
On the subject of painting I always say I would rather scrub toilets with a tooth brush. I get it all over me and everything else. Can't use gloves as I need my hands to wipe some of my messes with. I have a few painting jobs to do and guess I will bite the bullit and get in on it. Small jobs I hope.... I just retyped bullet 2 or 3 times and still don't think either of them look right. Anyway would love to provide the cooking cleaning and all other jobs if only some of you good painter would do my painting. Just kidding as I know it is a skill that is worth $$ as I have had to have it done before. By ladies that did not get it all over them.
Veronica

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Veronica, thanks! Yes, the kitchen and utility room floors are poplar. No finish on them.
I damp mop them...well actually, now...I use a Shark steamer mop on them. Poplar is a very hard wood, and the 'no finish' seems to be working quite well for us. The floor was put down by my DH and my brother in 1998. There was this AWFUL...UGLY ...linoleum on the floor when we moved here. We started to take it up...and lo and behold, it was glued down with this black glue. DH spent about a week trying to get up a 4 ft. square area...and finally said...NO MORE! The thing was, there was a heart pine floor underneath that linoleum...and I was just sick about that. But it would have cost a small fortune to have that glue sanded off...so we just laid another floor over the top. Can't win 'em all!
BTW...when they were laying the floor, the dog and I went outside for most of the 3 days it took them to do it. They used square cement nails to do it...and that wood is almost bullet proof...sooooo..you can imagine the noise level!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I love your bowls. My Mom has a bowl she uses to death. It's very old. She got it at a yard sale when I was a kid and she paid a dime for it so she calls it the dime bowl. It's not really special or expensive that we know of but it's her favorite and I have dibs on it when she leaves this earth. I just want it because she loves it so much and we were together when she bought it.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy, what a find! That bucket bench is beautiful. I

I had carpeting in this old place I live in and the previous tenants had pets...lots of pets...and no litter box or sense to open the door when nature called the animals....so me and the kids stripped up the carpet and lo and behold there was a hard wood floor....problem was it was stained and nasty from all the stuff soaking through the carpet...so we painted it white with an exterior oil based paint....looked great for about a month...not just don't have the money to do anything with it......but at least the house no longer smells of animals.

Come spring when I can open the doors and block off rooms, I am tackling this place big time....anything I do here the landlord takes off the rent....and she lets me play on all 40 acres......I sometimes forget this isn't my place, I only talk to her about once every two or three months and see her even less. I really lucked out finding this place.....I can have any animals and do what ever I want with plants and gardening.......she said if she ever sells the place I get first dibs...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

And having been there several times I have to say Marcy's floor is beautiful.
The guys did a magnificent job!

We got all the trim sanded and painted w/ primer.
Robyn has changed her mind on the color so tomorrow we'll head out and pick up some paint.
Originally we were going to paint the whole room Linen White in a satin finish and in fact did paint the Bay that color.
Then the paint got used on the remodel up north.
We brought home the about 2 1/2 gallons of that mellow yellow color from there...
And the color on the Bay Trim won't work w/ the new color.... with me so far...lol!
So we will get some Linen White enamel for the trim.....
Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the curtain rods back up and the sliding doors hung.
We'll use temporary curtains for now.
Robyn will make the curtains after we get the room done.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well I just had a near disaster! Spilled my drink all over my computer desk! Luckily, it only went on the desk, and a bit under the computer. I yelled for DH and between us, we got it cleaned up right away...whew!!! I never learn!! LOL!
Ric...that room will be fantastic when you guys get finished!! I know you are both happy to get it done!
Thanks Julie! When we lived on our farm, I painted the kitchen floor. It took me ..hmmmm...probably a month? I had to do it in sections, so I could still function in the kitchen. I painted it with porch and floor paint...double coat. Then I stenciled it...then I polyurathaned it..two coats. Thought I would never get done with it. But it was soo neat when it was done! It was a dark red...with a center stencil...and a stenciled border. I loved that kitchen! I wallpapered it. It had a chair rail...botttom was a dark blue with a small print ..and top was an offwhite with a pattern. It was a big country kitchen...had big cupboards, and a yellow pine counter on one side with a row of windows. DH used to lean on that counter and shoot groundhogs out the window...lol! See...ground hogs are smart. If they see you with a gun...they just disappear!! Only thing I didn't like about that house was the popcorn finish on the dining room and living room walls. Talk about something hard to paint!!! I remember my dear oldest son came up and helped me paint them...or I would probably still be painting them!!! We lived there for ten yrs before we sold it..had 40 acres....no animals but cats and a dog. But I had a BIG garden and canned a lot. I did most everything myself then...as DH was stilll working in Dayton...about 45 miles away. I remember we had a tv tower, and I was mowing the lawn one day...and hit that tower...couldn't find the brake! I bent that tower over! Don't think DH ever let me mow again...hahahaa! Good ole days!
Ok..I get carried away...I better shush! Nite all!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Ric, it is looking good. I am not a good painter, and don't mind tackling it, but I get so much on me. I have seen painters, and by that I mean professionals who could paint in tuxedos and not have to worry about getting anything on them. I pull out the oldest rattiest clothes I have when I have painting on the agenda, cause at the end of the job they will be tossed, not even good for rags!!

Marcy, that bucket bench looks so good. I love the crocks and pottery sitting on it. I noticed the floor too, and it sure looks pretty.

jar, sounds like you got a good deal on that house. Wish I could get a tenant that would do improvements to our property. All I ever get are the kind that want to do demolition but not restoration!!

Off to bed soon, tomorrow is grocery/errand day.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Hmmm....Defoecat....got any jobs down there my SIL could work at? like masonry? I will send you some tenants that love to fix up places....they are both into art and fantastic artists so walls tend to become murals instead of one color borders. JK! lol..........but they have been here helping me lay new linoleum in the bathroom and put up wall paper and get rid of all the trash left from the previous people....6 truck loads went to scrap and 2 went to the dump...still need to take another 2 to the dump in the spring......they trashed this place...it is such a shame because it is a fantastic house but there is just soooo much work to do here and sometimes I get overwhelmed with what needs done.....If I did own the place, the first thing I would do is make everyone camp out in a tent for the summer and store every thing in the garage adn start fresh.....huh, I might just do that anyways. wonder if the kids would mind using a tree for a while....hehehehehehe...just kidding

I hope the weather holds up for a few more days so I can clean up some of the flower beds and get a jump on spring

Jar, I would say yes, but I do have 1 tenant who has been enhancing the house. But that leaves 2 other properties, and since it is early in their tenancy can not tell what the trend will be.

I really don't care what they do to the house decorating wise, I am just concerned with not breaking anything. Last tenant broke 3 windows, and just trashed the kitchen. So gave a couple of months rent to the present tenant to clean it up. It looks like a little doll house now. She is a single mom, and is having a hard time, but always manages to have the rent when it is due. We will se how long this lasts.

One tenant went off for a few days, turned the heat way down low, and have some frozen pipes. So had a plumber there all day today, and I am cringing and have not even seen the bill.

The other tenant pays the rent on time, and the utilities are included in his rent. Got his electric bill today and it is over $200, so he will be paying a portion of that. We allow $75 in electric. That will teach him to turn the heat way up!! This is the best property, and there is no reason for the electric to be that high.

Off to bed.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Bonnie and Cajun.
I will use those bowls, cause I use all my things..they aren't just for show! And like I said before, those bowls aren't old...they are new...and food safe.
I did make the cookies today...3 trays at one time in the oven!! Woohoo! Made 6 dozen cookies in less than an hour! The first 3 trays got a little firm, as I forgot to put the convection on the cookie mode...lol...but I did remember about half way through...so I changed it. I am very pleased with the oven!
Ok...off to bed here...and to shut up...lol. Night everyone....sleep well.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Now...who was it that recently told me you can only do one tray of cookies at a time? ROTFLOL Of course we didn't discuss what kind of stove I have.....(glass top, semi-convection). hahahaha

Okay, so who has a four-five bedroom house on about 5 acres and would love to see it filled up with obnoxious kids and daylilies??? (fat chance, right?) We rarely use A/C and keep the heat at 68 tops.

Unemployment rate is up to 16.1% here now. I'm not even getting offered restaurant jobs!

Just popped in to harass you guys. Nothing much going on. Nolan is almost walking. Basketball is almost over. We're in the midst of a septic back up and waiting on a plumber to return my call. Yay!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well duh..Chele! YOU didnt tell me you had a convection oven!!! LOL!
I'll keep my eyes peeled around here for a house like that for you guys!
Sorry to hear about the plumbing problems...that stinks!! Yessss..pun intended!!
Ok..off to the shower..I've done my damage!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Finally got caught up on this thread. I would like to do some painting, but it will have to wait for some funds....I'd like to do a lot of things, come to think of it....

We had to take Cayenne to the vet cause she had this big bubble on her head by her ear. It just started out small like a pea, but it had grown to the size of a small meatball. The vet said it was a tumor and that she wasn't worried about it, but it did need to come off, so she went yesterday and had that removed. They sent it away to have it tested, so pray that it comes back okay. So two days of vet bills was over $600.00. Sigh....

I have a job interview tomorrow, so I'm nervous and excited about that. They said they would be interviewing for it for 4 days, so I know that there were a lot of applicants. I just hope if I'm right for it that the money is decent. So I'd appreciate any prayers you guys would offer up for me!

Ric, it's looking great! Marcy, beautiful!!

Anyone have cabin fever yet????

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I do..I do!!! Have cabin fever!
Joyce, that stinks too...about the vet bill. My cat had diarheaa for several weeks. I should have taken her to the vet, but called instead. They told me to give her yogurt..which I did. She still had it! And I can always tell when something isn't right with her because her fur gets very dull looking and feeling. But all of a sudden she got over it...and her fur looks healthy again. So I managed to avoid the vet bill ....this time!
Good morning everyone! Time to clean this dirty house again. I don't know where it all comes from...with only the two of us here?????
I hope I can talk Dave into going out somewhere after we clean. I really NEED to get out of this house for a bit....and don't think I can wait until Friday...lol.
Joyce, I hope you get the job! My daughter has another interview sometime this week. They are going to have the BIG boss sit in on this one! I sooo hope she gets it!
Well...I best get busy here if I am going to get out of here today.
Hope you all have a really good day out there!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ohhhhh my goodness. Terry was just here. They will be starting on our bathroom this coming Monday morning...at...............7:30 am!!!!!!! I don't know if I can do that!!!!!
What an hour to be up and done in the bathroom!! Yikesssss!!!!!
I know..I know...I'm a lazy wuss...lol.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sending you thoughts and prayers Joyce! I know how rough it is right now. Craig has another phone interview today at 1pm. I don't even get excited anymore. sigh...

Sending thoughts and prayers for your daughter too Marcy. Good luck on the bathroom remodel!

I'm still waiting for a darn septic company to call me back! I talked to someone about an hour and a half ago. They were going to call me back in about an hour to let me know for sure on the price and if they work in this area. Checked with a second company and they are a little more than the first and can do it tomorrow but would prefer Friday. I probably didn't mention I need my tank pumped....I won't say how we figured THAT out. Ewwwww.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Marcy does your stove adjust by type of baking?

Marcy Dave can bring you here to paint! lol!

My SIL is checking jobs for me thru her union..... just found one but it's about a 2 hour commute....
NOT!

Off to paint.

Ric

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Chele....good luck on the plumber situation!
Ric...yes...my oven does have 4 diff settings on the convection. Now all I need is to remember to use them..lol. The cookies are a little hard today!!
LOL on the painting...Ric. After Terry being here this morning, I can tell you, I will in the same boat as you soon. I will have to prime and paint that bathroom myself. I am hoping he will do the sanding for me!!!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I finally called them a third time. They are coming to pump it out tomorrow. $225! I feel sick still...more??? LOL At least that *might* be the end of my stinky situation. ha!

Chelle have you looked at these link that Jar gave ?
i m looking into the freeplants one.
link to get you started.
http://www.freeplants.com/
There is lots of info on the site to get you going and you don't have to buy the book to get started.

2) Search the internet for telemarketing jobs...West telemarketing does not hire in every state but they pay every two weeks. You have to have a background check and go through training but it is inbound calls straight to your home for companies like Virgin Mobile and ShopNBC
http://www.westathome.com/

3) If you like to write, like I do, there are several places hiring writers to work from home...
http://www.workwithclark.com/
Clark Covington pays per groups of articles...10 to 30 articles and also e-books...he pays when the project is complete and pays through paypal...he sends a 1099 at the end of every year for taxes...
http://demandstudios.com
This is a division of demand media and they own many many websites offering articles on tons of different subjects. Right now they pay $15 to $20 per article and pay twice a week...yes twice a week...through paypal
Not sure if writing is right for you...get your feet wet here...for free...also pays through paypal
http://associatedcontent.com/

4) Be creative...if you have a good slogan or a great idea for a t-shirt create and sell one through either one of these places...
http://www.zazzle.com/
http://www.cafepress.com/
Neither one charge a fee for joining or setting up a shop...they pay through paypal also

5) Sell those photos of all the beautiful gardens I see on here...advertising companies can not always hire a photographer for a single shot of a specific flower or plant so they buy them from stock companies like these...
http://www.photostockplus.com/sell_stock.php
http://depositphotos.com/pages/promo?gclid=CIW-v8CI7J4CFag65... these guys are looking for pix
http://submit.shutterstock.com/?language=en
http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php?view=full&gclid=CMfLr8G...

6) Sign on to the message board at http://www.wahm.com and join the forum...there are tons of other work at home people who discuss where they work and their experiences with the companies...offers good insight into what you may or may not be getting into.

..hope it helps.
not much going on here
Cookie i sure hope its ok with Cheyenne. Poor little girl.
welp gots to run and get the monsters. :)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I did Sue! Thanks. I did mean to copy and paste it somewhere and didn't so thanks for the bump.

I'm familiar with the free plants one. :) I'm just not in a position to propagate plants right now. sigh...

I hear you Chelle. I m sure praying for you guys ! I sure hope Craig gets a hit on something soon.
welp still nothing new here LOL
ripped the door of my GH . Just got so mad . i ripped it off . grrr. i know i will regret it tomorrow :( it just seemed like a good idea at the time i was so PO'd. GUess i should cut down on my sugar intake slowly ? not cold turkey ? uhg. i want sugar ! *sigh*

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sue. I'm still looking for the light at the end of a veeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrry long tunnel. LOL

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

I know what you mean, even fast food places aren't hiring, or if they are, they have a bazillion applicants. I keep calling anyway. Hopefully spring will bring a few jobs...

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Renee, have you tried McDonald's? They are getting a specialized coffee area (Starbucks kind of thing) and advertised pay is $7.80 and higher for experience. Good luck! I'm sorry you aren't getting more out of your degree. :(

well i m going to bed
I got denied emplyoment from Mc D's how sad is that ? i know what you mean Ky. its tough out there.
i was cleaning houses but i gave up . No one was cleaning my house LOLLLL but seriously i was cleaning houses , but i got such little response ?
good night friends an sleep well

Oh, I am so sorry for all of you who are looking for jobs and can't find one. I know the agony of it. DS had been unemployed for about a year, and he FINALLY got a job 2 weeks ago. It is Taco Bell, but he had put in applications by the hundreds for anything that he was qualified for, and nope, nada zilch. He has worked construction, concrete (has a degree for concrete testing) factory work, fork lift, and on and on, and nobody is hiring. So sometimes you just have to take what is offered. $7.50 an hour is better than zero.

Glad I have my retirement, as small as I think it is at times, and don't have to be out job hunting.

I definitely have a bad case of cabin fever. I want a nice warm vacation to the Bahamas, matter of fact have been trying to book one, and can't get all the details worked out. On these flight and hotel deals, most will offer a good price, but when you look at the flight schedule, who wants to be at the airport at 3:00 in the morning, or return at 11:50 at night? Not me. And I don't care how cheap the prices might be. Guess I am too picky. So I am destined to stay in Kentucky for the duration of the winter.

Chele, hope by this time tomorrow your stinky situation will be resolved!!

Marcy, just take a shower the night before, and then at least you will have been clean for a bit! I hate those sponge baths. Hope the bathroom redo is quick and they encounter no problems that will prolong being without facilities.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, I applied at McD's and they have no openings right now. I have called and stopped in since then, but nope. I worked there back in the late 90's, too, so hopefully that will help when they do have an opening. My Dad just paid over $2K for an engine transplant on my car, so I really want to work to pay him back!
I used to clean houses until some rich lady wanted me to scrub her 5,000 sq. ft. house with a toothbrush for $35, and followed me around the whole time.

LOL Ky , was it a firm toothbrush or a soft toothbrush ? That is one crazy lady ! i have had them ladys before too. I know the kind.
Bonnie i love taco bell ! i know its junk food but it just calls my name . We could use your DH in china ?? the chinese don't know anything about concrete .
not much going on here
kids are off in school
dishwasher going , i hate that noise .
fixed the chicken brooder and got the GH door in and took off the hinges. may fix it , may not.

(Zone 5b)

Marcy, great bench, love the color with the bowls and crocks!

Ric, the sewing room is looking good, can't wait to see the completed pictures. Robyn must be so excited!

We have some rental property too, what a pain it is! I never mind if tenants can't pay rent on time, times are tough, but it's all the damage they do. EIGHT times in less than a year the front door knob & lock has had to be replaced on apt 2. And that's the least of it! Wish the market was better, I'd like to just sell the place and be done with it.

I saw a sign at a local garden center that was going to be hiring soon. That would be a great job but lots of temptation to spend every pay check on plants!

Hey, I think our Julie from this DG forum will be coming to my house this Saturday!! I hope she's goign to put a leash on me and my wild ideas for spring flower/shrub beds LOL. I have so many projects I want to do so she's going to help with ideas, or end up laughing at me! It'll be great to meet a fellow DG'er!

Just so busy with things that keep me away from home. Helping a friend get ready for hip surgery, my dad has been ill. School stuff for my DN. It's been an expensive couple of months with animals too. ER surgery for one of my dogs and a long stay at the Vet afterward, 4 sick cats, and now my other dog is itchy and bumpy, it never ends. I just close my eyes and write the Vet a check, have to take care of my babies!

I join all of you with Cabin Fever! I want to go play and dig in the dirt! Spring is such a long way off...

Annie

Ric i m sorry to say that FIL did some weed control and some tractor damage to the area i had the plants in. :( uhg what can you do ? he didn't know and i forgot to tell him . So i m still hoping for the best on that area . I do have some in another area but see no signs of life yet ? i m wondering if the PI and honeysuckle was just to much for them ?
Annie how fun to meet fellow DG'ers , i sure hope you all have fun time.
for the money your pay your vet , please dmail me and i can help you with your pets skin troubles . i have a great remedy for it and i have seen hundreds of pets become itch free and skin problem free.
not much going on here
making a tater tot casserole to send over to a neighbor who almost died dureing the holidays. had her colon taken out and bunch of other stuff . poor thing.
gathering up stuff to help my friend out , she just inherited two nieces . Her DH is already working two jobs , so i got some stuff together . Their mom just up and left them.
so with that note
hmmm what else ? nuffin . cabin fever is a big problem at my house . No sun here for 6 days ! sheesh.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dare I hold out hope on hubby's most recent interviews......four phone calls, passed the interview with flying colors, should have passed the special clearance test..........dare I hope???? We really, REALLY could use the break!!!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Prayers and good karma being sent to you all. Will keep Craig in my thoughts and prayers for a few days so maybe you can get some positive responses. Lou

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Lou! Hey, if you are sitting at home, Dmail me your phone number.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm praying, too!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.