Yet another area...Viburnum?

(Zone 5b)

This is yet another area that I want to redo this spring. I'd like to enlarge the area around the pine trees to make it more of a bed. In between the pines (but in front) I want to add, I think, Viburnum, and then in front of them some perennials. I'd like to use Viburnum because it will serve double duty, help screen the neighbors house with some color and also help feed the birds.

The area is full sun and gets it's fair share of wind.

Thank you, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Annie

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Annie that's exactly what I'm working on in my back yard. My trees are mixed, though, i have deciduous trees mixed in with the pine (mostly maples) . I plan on putting large shrubs in there too, for color and seasonal interest and to feed the birds. I'm planning on viburnum, lilac, beautyberry, I have a hard time just choosing a couple! Check out this link for suggestions, you can narrow it down to your zone and sun/shade requirements.

http://www.naturehills.com/catalog/Bushes_and_Shrubs.aspx?zone=5

(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Lynnie! I could have spend all day on that site, so many to look at. It's great for finding plants that work in your zone and sun. So many beautiful plants and too few acres to plant them all on LOL!

Share pictures of your area after you plant it!

Annie

(Zone 5b)

Annie I'm afraid I may never finish it lol it's such a big area, it's 150 feet across the back. I have a LOT more planting to do. It was full of weeds and sumacs. We finally got that pulled out and I got just 3 white pine trees planted before winter.

I love that site for researching. I have a very hard time narrowing my choices, I love those Arnold's Promise witch hazel, viburnum, cottoneaster, beautyberry, I pretty much like everything I see. I love conifers. I tend to buy things on impulse, plant them, and then move them every year like they're furniture, actually I move my furniture less!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.