Bug Question for Yankees

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi,
I am moving to MA this Summer and have been farming here in NC for the past 7 years, we get killed here with squash bugs on squash, cukes, melons, etc. I am wondering if they are as bad in SE MA, zone 6? I know the answer I am hoping for but I will wait and see what I get. LOL

Thanks,
Susan

South Hamilton, MA

Lots of mosquitos. Lily leaf beetle is bad here NE of Boston, don't know if they are in the SE.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Welcome to the Northeast! I just got back from Greenville, NC last week, where I was visiting my family. I don't think squash bugs are a big problem. we do get potato beetles and squash vine borers as well as some japanese beetles. In the past few years, winter moth larvae have been lacing out the trees, but they don't seem to like any other plants but marigolds. Oh, and tomato hornworms. I am sure there are other pests, but these are the biggies here at the moment. The red asiatic lily beetles are killers. You have to fight for your lilies.
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

AMEN to that. The beetles love more than asiatics. I have them on ALL my lilies and heard they have been spotted on DL's as well.
I guard my perimiters and do a weekly check.I spray early in spring as the lilies emerge and then every week until September .
I use Sevin (liquid) and Bayer Rose and Insect spray.I cant stand to touch the awful things.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Welcome to SE Ma. Sorry I can't help you with veg bugs, but any questions about bugs that get after flowers ask away. Good thing is they die sooner here :), bad news so do most of the flowers. :( BTW if you say Yankee up here everyone will think you are talking about that awful nasty rotten to the core baseball team. LOL
There are lots of helpful people here to help you adjust. Welcome.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

susan i have not had any problems with squash bugs here - i do have a problem with a bug that goes after eggplant - do not know the of it - blackish beetle with a very hard shell - need to spray when plants are young - and then they seem to not to cause many more problems

This message was edited Jan 19, 2010 9:02 AM

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

good advise Bill

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

lol that's right. There is a different connotation for Yankee up here. But you are still welcome anyhow.
I have dozens of daylilies, and they have never been bothered by ALB's though some are planted right next to bulb lilies that are infested.
We had problems with veggie diseases, molds and rots here this summer since it was one of the dampest on record. The weather needs to get all of this precipitation out of its system. My daughter is graduating college in May and I want a stunningly beautiful day for the commencement.
Martha

Hi EVERYONE!

I guess I wasnt clear in my post. I am a native to SE MA lived there for 40 years of my life. I am in North Carolina at the moment but moving back to MA in August of this year. Been gone for nearly 10 years.

Wha: Those bugs eating your eggplant are called, I believe, eggplant beetle. They love them. I am a horticulture major here and will be finished with school in July. I heard that bell peppers and marigolds help deter the eggplant beetle. And that nasturcium(sp?) helps with squash bugs. They are horrible here, like a plaque and once you have them the only way to get rid of them is to skip a year planting any type of squah, cukes, etc. I grow all natural so it is hard to get rid of them.

I am really looking forward to moving back home and hope to get to know you all more this year through DG.

Thanks,
Susan

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

We're glad to have you back. Just leave those nasty squash bugs down in NC.
Martha

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would add blight to the list even though it is not a bug

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sluggs
lets
not forget
SLUGS

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh yes!!!

oh I get rid of slugs with moth crystals in my flowers that is, not veggies.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Really? Does it really work?
Sluggo is so expensive and has to be reapplied.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

did we ever have them this year. i found them crawling in my entryway several times. When the slugs head for the high ground, you know it's wet out!
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I take the salt shaker out with me on my walk in the AM
I sprinkel the ones I find on the stone walk heading for the shade of the deck .

The moth balls seems to work. I also use cayenne pepper. I have not had much trouble with slugs, not sure why? I try to companion plant

http://www.homeandgardensite.com/combating_pests.htm

This is a good site, I try these sorts of things.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just checked my sticky traps and there are 3 knats.I guess I dont have much of a problem.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I have never had such a slug problem as last season. So many days of clouds and rain strung together that they came from the woods across long stretches they ordinarily would not be able to travel in just one night. I must have bumped off thousands of them by the end of the summer. I do admit to the pounding them into the pavement as being very therapeutic.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its odd how that sight would bother me.I dont mind seeing the disolve in the salt sprinkles.Then other slugs come along to finish the remains.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I did notice that trait too with the slimy slugs. Had a slug route to do on every cloudy or rainy morning and evening. By the time I returned to the first smushing station there were always a couple more there cannibalizing their dear departed. Usually made two tours each time just for that reason.

you guys are all sort of sick, ya know? LOL I cannot step on a bug, I can beat them to death with a broom, but there is something about stepping on them that grosses me out. Especially ones that squish. But you have all given me an idea, I like the idea of catching them and using them for bait for flounder fishing. That is called re-cycling!

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I recommend the organic brick method of slug removal. I take a brick and squish them with it when I see them. No pesticides, no chemicals, no messy death by salt. And seriously, check under rocks and bricks and things in the spring. slug eggs look like little white pearls in clusters. squishing those with the organic brick method in March is much less icky than waiting for them to hatch and doing them in then.
Martha

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

even better.. a rock I dug up while planting (free ya know)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

I had this half brick left over from a patio project in the past. the flat sides do a thorough job.
Martha

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Right there with Martha. Flatten the slimers!

ooowwwwwwww! Yuck!

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

I go out on the evening and catch the slugs and feed them to the goldfish in my pond.The fish love them JOY

South Hamilton, MA

great idea!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

is it just me or does the title of this thread seem like the entire yankee line-up has N1H1?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

LOL , couldn't happen to nicer bunch, eh?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.