Decatur, GA

Pachypodium sp.
(lost the label)

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Calibanns hookerii

Thumbnail by helenchild
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

They are all pretty amazing plants, my favorite is the Monadenium.
It looks like you have quite a display of plants in that picture. very nice.

Doris

Decatur, GA

Thanks Doris. They keep me busy and I really enjoy them. It is fun to show them off a bit here as not many people see my ugly lumpy plants as very interesting. ^_^

Pyrenacantha malvifolia

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

M. erubescens

Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

I have more... but here is the last for now.
Tylecodon schaeferianus This one is small, only about 3 inches high.

Thumbnail by helenchild
Arlington, TX

"A face only a mother could love", I like these plants...they have character.
C

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Simply wonderful, beautiful plants; thanks so much for sharing with us, Helenchild!
Larry

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Where do you find such exotic beauties?
They are all beautiful. I know you need a fast draining soil. Those are gorgeous.
Thanks for showing.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, thank you for showing them. It is so good to have some caudiciforms besides DR! I think they are wonderful. My favorite is Pyrenacantha malvifolia.

Decatur, GA

ridesaredmule,
I find them on ebay for the most part. Aridlands is great of course but sorting through their huge online list is difficult if you don't know what you want.
Helen

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

lovely show!
Thank you so much for the entertaining eye candy
I love them all
especially the pachy YIKES SO THORNY!! LOL!!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Helen, I didn't see your post until now. What great plants! I love them all, especially the Pyrenacantha and Zygosicyos. Now I know who beat me out on all those auctions, LOL.

Thanks for sharing!

I like the Calibanus hookerii too, always has been one of my favorites. Another one I killed- had it for a long time and then it suddenly died. I think it was the victim of too much water, even tho it was summertime.

Decatur, GA

Heat and humidity can kill plants that like it dry. I keep a lot of them under cover (clear plastic) in the summer so they don't get rained on.
The Calibanus likes water in the winter.
I have been switching all my plants to coir and crushed granite for instant drainage. So far so good.
Helen

I like to use Orchid mix too.
It seems to be very well drained soil.
Would crushed granite be much the same a bird grit?
That is all I have, right now.

Decatur, GA

Yes its bird grit. I have use the starter and feeder grit. Either seems to be fine just don't mix the two sizes or they pack together tightly.
I would rather use pumice rock but thats too expensive to ship from the west.
Helen

All rightie, got that part right, don't I?

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice plants, just scored a really nice Dioscoria mexicana. I have no idea where its going to fit in the house.

Yardley, PA

Really nice plants Helen.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

If it doesn't fit, you can send it to me, AD. ha ha!

Helen really does have beautiful plants.

Decatur, GA

Thanks...
The Tylecodon schaeferianus rotted last winter :-( but the others are growing and some have bloomed. It is so much fun to keep working with them..
Sally I am intrigued by your s/h method and have actually gotten some of the materials. I am excited to give it a try.
Helen

Yardley, PA

Helen it is fun to try different things, especially when they are successful. It has worked very well for me. I love the Calibannas but never had any luck with that plant. Not sure why.
I was just noticing on the pyrencantha m. our leaves our so different. Maybe it is from the different way we grow them. Interesting. The caudexes look the same.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I would luv to find the pyrencantha m. but there doesn't seem to be any seeds for sale.

Yardley, PA

Helen, That may be the Pachypodium lealii saundersii. It has nasty thorns! Flowers in the fall. White or white pink flowers.

Decatur, GA

Sally, I gave all my Pachypodiums a careful look and decided that one is a P. succulentum. It has the long pendulous branches.
I think I have the P. lealii saundersii as well. Its picture is in the Pachy round up thread. Check the 3rd picture I posted and its the one on the left.
Helen

Yardley, PA

I have the P. succulentum also. The branches are short and don't have thorns on them. It is probably because they are short.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Decatur, GA

I have never trimmed the one I have that I think is P. succulentum. I usually like to leave them alone and see what they do au naturel. But I am not adverse to trimming either, so I may try it later on.
Your P succulentum looks really round which I think is a great shape for a caudiciform. What is the diameter?
Helen

Yardley, PA

It has about a 10" diameter.

Decatur, GA

WOW, 10 inches is HUGE. I hope mine will get big like yours.
Helen

Yardley, PA

It is one of my favorite plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.