Hawk ID please.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Sharp-shinned or Cooper's Hawk?

Thumbnail by Joyce128
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Probably Sharp-shinned as it looks fairly small, but not enough visible (particularly not the tail tip) to be 100% certain.

Resin

Thanks. I think it is a Sharp-shinned too because of its' size.

Butler, NJ

I agree with Resin, the head is small compared to the rest of the body, the eyes are set back which would point to it being a Sharp-Shinned.

San Luis Obispo, CA

One of the characteristics I look for in a stationary bird is the crown, nape and back. On Sharpies, the crown, nape and back are all the same color, in effect giving the bird a hooded look. All of the adult Copper's I see have a capped appearance because of the nape being lighter than the crown and back.

One other mark I look for when an adult bird is facing me are the feathers above the cere. In a Coop's it is light, a Sharpie dark. But given the wear on this part of the head, that can sometimes be misleading.

Greg

Sandusky, OH

This from a couple weeks ago, same day (diff. times) and nearly on the same branch, left side of pic is Sharp-shinned and right side is immature Cooper's. The tail is a dead give away between the two in this photo with resting (more like waiting lol) birds.

Thumbnail by Burd_Fotos
Butler, NJ

Burd-your picture is a great picture for comparison, thanks for posting it.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Burd, Isn't that Cooper's immature?

Sandusky, OH

Quote from thebestmissy :
Burd, Isn't that Cooper's immature?[/quote]

[quote="Burd_Fotos"] left side of pic is Sharp-shinned and right side is immature Cooper's.

Yep! ;)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I'm learning something:) Thanks to all my wonderful DG friends!

Sandusky, OH

Quote from misseymarie :
Burd-your picture is a great picture for comparison, thanks for posting it.

Thanks, would have loved to have been able to add a Northern Goshawk to the picture for the full package of North American Accipiters.

Sandusky, OH

I just noticed in the bird files there is no Northern Goshawk photo's. I thought I seen one a few weeks ago at the marsh. I will be looking for this bird in 2010 for photo's.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Getting Goshawk photos won't be at all easy! They're very shy, and never hang about

Resin

Sandusky, OH

Quote from Resin :
Getting Goshawk photos won't be at all easy! They're very shy, and never hang about

Resin

I know that I have lowered my odds of seeing this bird by just mentioning I would be on the look out for it. lol

But most of the sightings the last couple of years have been in area's I have visited before. Ive been checking some of the bird lists in Ohio, but need to do a lot more checking yet.

Thanks everyone for all the great information.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.