Let's Talk Gaillardia!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gaillardia Goblin is the longest blooming plant in my garden This year it bloomed from Mid May until it was buried by 18 inches of snow in Mid December. That's 8 months of bloom. I'd like to add some other forms of perennial Gaillardia to my garden but don't know which ones to choose. Please post photos of your favorites and share your experiences as well as the heights of these plants. Thanks!

The photo is Gaillardia Fanfare, which has been sporadically hardy for me.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful Stormy
I will lurk here and try not to cause trouble. I plan to buy some Galliards this summer.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Ge, I enjoy your breed of trouble! LOL

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Just layin it out there so no one gets snowed.
Good luck here.Beautiful picture.
I will be on the look out for varieties for my gardens.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

A landscaper friend gave me a flat of unlabeled Gaillardia last summer. I planted them between my others in front of the house and some on the side of the house, but they turned out to be a taller variety that looks very similar to Goblin. They were lanky and flopped all over. I will have to move them next spring to a more suitable spot. I am winter sowing some more Goblin now. I like it's compact dwarf size.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats the type I need for the border. with blues.Walkers Low catmint.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I planted some in one of my erosion control strips in my market garden about 6 years ago. I don't know if they are reseeding or growing from same plants, but are doing very well. They are getting crowded out by grass in some places. I not sure of varieties. Best thing is to look for the perennial ones. They will give you Zones they are hardy in. Most are hardy, but some are used only as annuals here. (Zone 4A).
Bernie

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

My Goblin in front of the house are planted in front of Salvia May Night. I like the combination. That Salvia is a Butterfly and Bee magnet.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Bernie. I was looking at seeds for some, and quite a few of them were Annuals. I did buy seeds for some Burgundy ones.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Now see.... didn't ya'll tell me that they didn't come true from seed??? I put in a few Burgundy seeds last summer, no blooms one way or the other to tell me if they are true or not.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Wasn't me Sheryl. I think it was Pirl. I never grew any Gaillardia other than Goblin from seed, but that one blooms in the first summer after sowing. I even sowed them late, like toward the end of March and they still bloomed that summer.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

Stormy, I'm in the same situation as you, longblooming but flop over all over the place. Otherwise love them, even the spent blooms look great after the petals fall off. I've ws "Arizona Sun", as it's only supposed to get to 18". I have seeds for "Burgandy" and am planing to ws it but it may have the same problem flopping over as it's supposed to grow to about 3 ft. I have "Goblin" and "Frenzy" in my want list and hope to find them before this spring.

Yep, must have been Pirl.

I just looked at my useless clump this afternoon, lol. They better be Burgundy!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Goblin is short lived for me (about 3 years) but outstanding. I would like to try some others too!

It's really amazing what a span of conditions these plants will grow under - I've seen it grow wild in the mountains in Tucson, Arizona - all the way up to Alberta, wow.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sheryl, Alberta has some of the most spectacular flowers in the world. You may have seen the poppies and delphiniums up there. They are breathtaking and majestic in their size and vigor.

I checked out my beds today too. Gaillardias are all laying down and look like fried twigs. Maybe I'll clean them up over the weekend.

dahlianut, maybe 3 years will be it for them here too.

rockgardener, thanks for the imput. Maybe I'll plant those taller ones in among the Agastache blue fortune. Those are very sturdy and upright and should support the floppers. I'm familiar with Arizona Sun, but not Frenzy. Will have to look that one up. I didn't realize that Burgundy got that tall. Some of those seed sites don't list the heights. Oh Well, I'll find a spot that should work for them.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

I've had success with Arizona Sun and Burgundy, and also with Oranges & Lemons (24"). I planted some Amber Wheels (18") last year, and the plants looked green and healthy, but no flowers - and I was really looking forward to the flowers. Has anyone out there had success with Amber Wheels?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

SnowlineRose, you're reminding me that I want to check out Amber Wheels. Based upon the unusual weather and lack of sunlight throughout many parts of the US last spring and summer, I'm not surprised if anyone didn't have blooms. I've seen Oranges & Lemons and it didn't really appeal to me all that much.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

rockgarener, that Arizona Sun looks really good. Height reports seem to range from 8" to !8". Some say it starts to bloom earlier than Goblin. Some also say it doesn't like Clay. Mine grow in clay, but I amend the planting hole. It says not to use compost or too rich a soil mix.

http://www.google.com/products?q=gaillardia+arizona+sun&rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=8BdRS4PVM4-Ytgfzyv2mCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CB8QrQQwAg

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

SnowlineRose, That Amber Wheels is very pretty. I like the feathery petals and the red centers. My beds have a lot of Heliopsis in them so I really don't need another long blooming 3' tall all yellow daisy like flower. Thanks for the suggestion.

http://images.google.com/images?q=gaillardia+amber+wheels&rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=GRpRS_vHNY61tgf0_LmtDA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=6&ved=0CC0QsAQwBQ

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

rockgardener, That Frenzy is beautiful. Double petals like Fanfare, but the opposite coloring red with a touch of yellow. It seems to get a bit taller than Fanfare, up to 24 inches. Hmmm, I think I might try one or two of these to see how they perform. Fanfares are hit and miss with me and I suspect that this one is another variety from that series. But, it is very pretty, enough to give it a go!.

http://www.perennialresource.com/encyclopedia/view/?plant=1754

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

It really makes you wonder who writes the narratives for all of the plant catalogues and where they get their info. I've found Oranges & Lemons described as anywhere from 15 to 30" tall with blooms anywhere from 2 to 5" across. They all agree that it is extremely floriferous & long blooming, with tangerine to orange shaded blooms with yellow edges. Some say front of the border, others mid border.

Onewish grows these. She told me they always flop, but I do like the color. She offered me a division, I may take her up on it.

http://www.planthaven.com/pom-feb07.html

I've been tempted by Oranges 'n Lemons for a while .... they're floppers, are they? Ah well - I think I'll grab some anyway. Wonder if Bluestone has them - they're still offering everything at 15% off for pre-spring ordering, such a deal...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ooooo I've been eyeing up Oranges and Lemons. Seed not offered by my suppliers yet, just plants :(

Shoot, there's more - anyone try Tokajer yet?

Now Bluestone is saying no clay soil... grrr....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Dahlianut, I read that Oranges & Lemons is grown from Cuttings and not seed.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

bummer no wonder I haven't seen seed. Thanks stormyla.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sheryl, That Tokajer is beautiful. I love the orange color. Height seems to range fro 18 to 24" I just saw an Apricot colored one. Gotta go back and get it's name.

http://images.google.com/images?rls=com.microsoft:*&oe=UTF-8&q=gaillardia+tokajer&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=PyRRS5XwKYW3lAeVhfDFDg&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CB8QsAQwAw

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's the Apricot one - Summer's Kiss. Says it's 18 to 24" Starts out pale yellow and darkens to an Apricot or Melon Color. Another one that says it's propagated by cuttings.

http://www.redbarnperennials.com/PlantArchive/Gaillardia_grandiflora.SummersKiss.htm

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This Tizzy is very nice too. Like Fanfare & Frenzy it has the double quilled petals, but it is all red. Height seems to be about 20".

http://www.greatgardenplants.com/index.php?pageId=107

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I still like the short one.Goblin is for me and if Stormy can grow them in clay I will defiantly try.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Defiant Goblins!!

I like the Apricot colors much more than the darker oranges, but the Tokajer just grabbed me.

LOL, Storms, you're on a roll!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found the Apricots to be nicer too Pagancat

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have found that the reds and oranges on Gaiilardia do not fade like Echies. So don't count on an orange to fade to apricot.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Been sorting my seeds today and have found that I have seeds for Arizona Sun & Amber Wheels. I've gotten so many seeds this year from ones that I've puchased as well as from other DGers, that I have to do a big list to keep track of them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Pagancast and stormy - I'm innocent. I'm the one who doesn't believe things grow true from the seed of the mother plant. A division of a mother plant would be the exact same thing but not seeds.

My Fanfare from Dutch Gardens bloomed until mid December and never faded one bit even during the warmer days in summer.

A DG friend sent two Gaillarida in October. Wish I had the name at hand.

Thumbnail by pirl

This is the one my DG friend sent me - Tokajer.

http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/GATOS.html

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I really like that one, Pirl. I have never seen an all yellow Fanfare.

It did have more color earlier. It's on the left here. If I had kept another photo of it when it had more color it would have been much more helpful!

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.