Winter Gardening Reading

Kalamazoo, MI

What are you reading about gardening right now?

http://www.laferle.com/2010/01/winter-garden-tour/

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

The Garden Primer by Barbara Damrosch I have dead it through twice now and use it all the time !!
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

nothing!!!

i have been spring cleaning!!! when spring gets here i will be ready to GO OUTSIDE!

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I have been reading more this winter than I ever have in my life. I have read Eliot Colemans The New Organic Gardener, Backyard Market Gardening, Tasha Tudors Garden, Amy Goldmans The Heirloom Tomato and The Complete Squash, The Vegetable Gardeners Handbook, Starting and Running Your Own Small Farm Bus., Carrots Love Tomatoes, plus 5 organic gardening magazines, 3 Hobby Farm Magazines, 3 Mary Janes Farm magazines and on and on.

I am currently reading P. Allen Smiths latest book, Living in The Garden Home. It's really beautiful!

Plus tons of seed catalogs as they arrive.

Kalamazoo, MI

Thanks for the recommendations. I've written down the titles/authors' names. Anyone ever read anything by Elizabeth Lawrence?

I love Elizabeth Lawrence but I haven't read much of her stuff yet. Her books are very popular. I want to read her book 'The Little Bulbs' next. I have read bits of it and it's wonderful and sweet.

Dearborn, MI

You could add Carolyn Males "100 Heirloom tomatoes for the American Garden." So far every one of her choices that I have tried has been excellent. She has been a great contributor on the tomato forum, sharing her knowledge and answering questions. Nancy

That's a book that I really want! I love heirlooms.

Lachine, MI

Flowrgirl1,
Would you please share with me the titles of the 3 hobby farm mag's that you read?
I get one called Hobby Farm Home and just love it- but always looking for others to read as well ;-)
Thank you in advance!
Sandy

Kalamazoo, MI

Just ordered the Barbara Damrosch book for $1.00 + $2.73 shipping!

My husband is a constant reader and rarely pays retail prices for his many books. He checks Amazon first for used books, then abebooks.com. That's where I found this book.

After you sign in, go to Advanced Search > Bookseller country > U.S.A. or you'll get listings from all over the world. If binding is important, Binding > any or pull down to soft cover or hard cover. Also Sort Results by Lowest Total Price.

He recommends not buying library books because of all the stamps, stickers, etc., nor does he recommend alibris.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

WOW good buy on the B,D, book I payed 20.00 for mine but its worth it to me ;0)
Gloria

michigander- I read Hobby Farm Home and Hobby farm. I had a back issue that I hadn't read yet. They did just come out with a new mag called Urban Farm, i think.

Lachine, MI

Thank you flowrgirl1,
I'm always on the lookout for new mags that pertain to rural enterprises. I also read grit and mother earth news too.
Garden Hugs,
Sandy

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Anyone think we should do a book swap once your done with them? There are a lot of books out there that I couldn't afford but would love to read...Still love getting my Organic Gardening magazine and rereading books I have in case I missed something.

I tend to keep using my books as reference so I can't part with them. I have always wanted to participate in a book swap but then I look through my books and realize I can't part with any of them, LOL.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i have a ton of garden books and magazines im going to be getting rid of-hope to have a rummage sale 3rd weekend in may -if they dont sell id be glad to trade!!

Has anyone read Diane Ackermans book 'Cultivating Delight'? I think thats what it is called. It is a wonderful book.

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

I just bought a new book, "WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY GARDEN AND HOW DO I FIX IT?". It has organic alternatives to insecticides and pesticides. I haven't read it yet, but my sis has and she said it is very good. It's by David Deardorff and Kathryn Wadsworth. I got it through National Home Gardening Club and Timber Press if you are interested.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.