Meet Bowiea volubilis

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I believe the common name for this is climbing sea onion? Not sure about that...

These used to be very common. This is another one I bought from Geimer's Greenhouse, I think! Doesn't do much, just sits there.

Like a FOOL, I sold this on eBay for about $10. Back then I was broke and wanted to grow tropicals. Now it's hard to find a tiny one at any price. I think they were over-collected in the wild.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Here is the plant from farther away.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Decatur, GA

I love my climbing onions. I have had them for years. They get big and then split... making more. They are easy to separate and repot.
Helen

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Let's see some!
:)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here are some on Ebay.

Decatur, GA

I am snuggled in bed at the moment. I will get my camera out and get some up to date pics tomorrow or this weekend.
Helen

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Yeah, they are about $10 for a 1-inch bulb! I'll have to save up my money and get a new one when the weather's warmer.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

jlp, no url for the plant on ebay?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Wow, someone sure got a bargain when they bought that plant for $10.00! You should have split the bulbs apart and potted them separately; you could have gotten a lot more money for them.

Grigsby Cactus Gardens carries Bowiea volubilis (listed as Bowiea nana) in their online catalog for $4.50 USD. I've purchased from Grigsby many times and I have received very nice plants. I visited Grigsby in 1991 and their place is beautiful.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I forgot about Grigsby, I bought some plants from them back in the 90s I think. I'll check it out, thanks!

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

I got a baby>>......
you need one??

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hard to part with $10 for one onion plant.

Doris

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

If you don't want it, sure!! Or I can look for one in the spring, I guess they aren't as scarce as I thought.

I've had mine quite a while But it had a baby that was getting crowded in the pot. I have here over her with a couple of voodoo babies.
Waiting for Spring to do something with it. it is not too big.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Pendleton, OR

You can find this at arid lands greenhouse

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I would buy just about everything Aridslands has, if I could afford it! You should see my wish list for that place!
They are very nice people, too.

I know it's sorta dark but here's the Mama.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

ridesredmule - If you don't have any takers, I would LOVE to have your baby ;)

I have some Amaryllis bulbs that are 2-3 years old and will have some other bulbs soon. Oh, and some Epiphyllium cuttings. Here's a pic:

Thumbnail by jlp222
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

That's a very nice sized plant!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I just purchased this plant, now to wait for the arrival and see how it does. Is there anything specialI should know.

Doris

Don't over-water.I water mine about every other week. I don't want it to die.
This has divided just in the last year. I don't pay too much attention to it. I thought it was a
single Bulb. I saw the baby it was being squashed up against the side of the pot. I was so careful getting the little fella out.
It's got the will to live it has a little top on it now.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

You should stick it in some soil! Are your voodoos Typhonium venosum?

Yes, they are.

Decatur, GA

Here is mine. It is years old (15+) and I have divided it many times. I have given a lot of them away and I hate to think I may have put some on the compost. In fact I just traded the small one on the left in the picture to someone here on DG.
From now on I will make available any extras for trade!
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hope mine does as well as yours when I get it *S*

Doris

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

It looks nice!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Well, if anyone ever has any, the above offer stands :)

Do Sea Onions ever have multiple tops?

Decatur, GA

Molamola,
I don't think they get multiple tops. The bulb gets bigger with vines coming out of one place on the top. When it gets big it will split forming two bulbs. Each of these with grow with vines coming out the top. The bulbs are can be split apart and grown separately or not.
Helen

Like this....

Oh, my, nice photo of such an interesting plant.

English fails me all the time. Your plant is just what I meant, multiples like regular onions do.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

lakesidecallas: I want to thank you for putting your caudiciform pictures on the forum. Both you and helenchild have wonderful collections! You have inspired me to try some. I love plants that don't require a lot of water since I live in a desert environment.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Thank you! You live in a great place for growing, and especially, collecting. You'll be sure to find some very interesting plants, and I for one can't wait to see YOUR photos!

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I was given a pot of this with 5 bulbs probably 7 or 8 years ago. Not long after I got it, it made little tiny bulblets that I took off and gave away. It has not produced these again. Why not? One of the bigger bulbs has split. Relieved to find out this is normal.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well when mine arrived it was just a small bulb, sure didn't look like much, I kinda sat it in the dirt 1/2 way , and watered it, now almost two weeks later it has a little stem growing out of the top.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice picture, I really need to get one, even for a measly $10.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I got a small one off ebay, it has a 2" vine coming off the top, but isn't growing. Hopefully this summer!

Helen or RRM, how fast does yours grow?

Decatur, GA

Periodically they grow fast, with lots of new vining stems. Then it will rest. Mine has been knocked over, repotted and ripped apart for various reasons so I am not sure if there is a pattern. I think it takes awhile to recover with each disruption. I have seen it can grow a lot in the winter and that is the time I have flowers.
How about a picture of our new plant?
Helen

MIne has "popped' open and it is so pretty and green right now. Yes, I believe Helen is correct, they do grow more in winter. Will get you a new pic , hopefully in the morning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.