THE GPS 9 - The Glorified Potting Shed

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, that poor babys relatives better get out of the grass Ima mowing. I cant help but hit them if they are slower than the speed Im a racing at. I ruin more snakes that way, but then my grass is over a foot tall.

Heres a hybrid for ya.. All my violas were blue.. this one jumped color in the seed.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My peoknees are just starting to bud. They look puny this year... time will tell.

The iris are starting to bloom.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

purple....looks blue in the pic, butit is in real life PURPLE

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Another disappointment. That new foxglove seed vendors were raving about Candy Mountain. I planted out 4"seedlings last fall and 1 gal. blooming plants in April and this is the best they've done. Certainly NOT what the catalogs pictured.Mark them off my list of foxgloves for my yard again

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

now this is more like it...Elsie Kelsey(white) and NOID set out as 4"seedlings last year same time as 4" Candy Mt. Both are 3 1/2 to 4 Ft. tall were as C.Mt only a foot to foot and half tall at best

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

saw some awesome foxgloves at Leos, but HOLY KRIPES.. not paying that for them... $14.95 was a wee bit outrageous.

Just put my four o clock seed to the cutting garden.. what comes comes. I might be sorry I did that.. owell...

Hope I can get the maters, cukes, loofs, peppers and begonias to a bigger por before Tuesday.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

$14.95!!!!!!! Geesh,were they made of gold? I generally only do foxgloves in 4" @ $2.50-$3.00 a pot for market. I don't like to do any biennals in 1 gallons already in bloom.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

No, one gallons three foot tall... still not doing that.. no way, out of budgie.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

That's outrageous! I'll have to send you some fox seeds when they're ready.

My green foxgloves are blooming and cute as a button but so far all pictures have been crappy.

Ooops! Found a picture but I think this my be d.lantana Cafe Cream

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ye-ah it tis...

Well anyway, its sunny today.. dare I move my vegs back to the GPS? We dint get the frost that was talked up on but it did get bloody cold.

Im losing coleus left and right and my impatiens cuttings bit it to.. Hopefully Iwill save enough plants to make more cuttings later, but Im up aganst a tough schedule in just to water lately. My new coleus seedlings are doing ok, just the old parent plants from last year are starting to die.

Gardening this year has been a real challenge.

I should be sending you your varigaters in the next few weeks.. just waiting on the postage...moneys tight right now, but its comeing... not just when you want it though!
Will let ya know when its mailed though.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

don't worry about it....someone sent some unrooted cuttings as a bonus in a trade.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

yer still getting a package from me.. got other thangs in it. Gauranteed you will like it.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ok, this is enough to make ya a-hem....I stoped at Al's to sniff....

The delphinuims - $17@
The pakls in a flat... $2.69
a flat of annuals...$21.52

A four inch pot of perennials...$3.69
ANd the pastee- re-sistence - $40 for ahaning basket..

Misc. Name brands well Im not gonna go there.. ya'll faint.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Rainbows...and rainbows of color that place....Just where is the pot o gold to buy anything!?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Foxgloves, same price as the delphs....not gonna happen here....

Im on a diet, can only afford the eye candy!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Ya gotta be freaking kidding me! I have foxglove Anne Redzsky(sp?) in 4 inch deep perennial pots for only $3.00!!! I won't sell biennals in one gallon in full bloom.

People around here sqawk at $14.00 for a huge 2 gallon hydrangea in full bloom.....but they'll go to a fancy garden center in next big town over and give $18.00 for an 8" pot with 4 stems. I just tell these folks"Bye,sorry I couldn't help you"

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, this place is up north .. I got to be wondering what the heck those people do for a living, because if you charged a third of what they were asking they would say bye bye down here. Key-ripes!

Like I said, its eye candy for me, I wont pay that. Bad enough I paid what I did for veggies this year.. but had no choice if I wanted them since Im having a rough go taking care of things this year.

I just cannot understand the price flucuation... but then we live in povertyville here and even the lower prices are sky high.

I wonder how much they end up dumping...

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I've done very well with my oddball annuals this year so far. Hot Chocolate and Chocolate Smoke nicotiana were selling w/o blooms last week and really well this week in bloom. Lonas aka yellow ageratum is moving well w/o blooms also. Dianthus in bloom..not so good,not even the yellow ones. One gallon red penstemons and variegated joe pyeweed doing good but not the red potentilla. I never know from year to year what will sell and what will just sit.

I'm pushing gompherna,coleus,impatiens,vinca and livingstone daisy to take next Sat. Herb sales are still good...sold out so far on basils and dill.Re-sowed some more dill to come out in time for veggie vendors cucumber stock that should be coming good in a couple weeks. Lavender was fairly good size so they did ok. Lot of folks lost their rosemarys this past winter due to teen tempts so I'm hoping my big ones will be ready for next Sat.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a plan to me!

Coming home today I passed the local hardware... $1.99 on hanging baskets.. now go figure. Granted, not as nice as the $40 ones at Al's but throw some fertilizer in them and they would be!.....Them biguns up at Al's.. be on the waining side by the time you get them home youd have ta prune them...

Just like those foxgloves.. shoot, that big in the store...you get them home and they start going down hill.. I would be afraid to repot and lose the seed value on them suckers.

Same on the delphs. But oh so pretty.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

raining

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Foggy today. I hope I can get to the thistles before they get to me. I need to bump up my veggies and get the garden area ready for those. Gawd am I behind.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

spent the day,weeding and getting part of my summer annuals planted....about 3-4 weeks behind schedule....oh yeah and dragging sprinklers around all day....already. I think we're in for a hot dry summer w/ our first 100% this coming Sun.

Time for the daylilies to shine.

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Thats gorgeous.. here is one of my hybs.. Gotta be a Stella cross.

Yours looks very much like Dominic

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

yes it is and that's is a purdy one

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Its more yellerorange than that pic says. I think the pi is showing it to be to peachy.

For some reason I m having trouble with my purples and yellows

My tea rose was purdy...

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Heres Stella again.. cant say the color in this pic is true...I have tried numerous lightings from trying to soot on a cloudy day to sun and still the color of this yellow does not come true for me in the pic.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Pink yarrow color is faded

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Names spelling escapes me... primrose...ontherea (sp)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This is Sweetie Face, now her color is true. Nice straight up yellow.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, here is that same yarrow above, but better color, but the photo is not as clear.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, this mess.. the dark solid leaves are lily of the valley and the hosta I beleive is Golden Tiara

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Baby columbines... gimme whatchagot! Wayward home for columbine seeds!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, I think I better open a new GPS thread.. this one is getting long!

THE GPS - #10 coming up soon!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Alley- kaZAAAAAM~

Going here guys...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1103915/

But I gotta warn ya the place is a ROY - YELL mess....through and through, inside and out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.