THE GPS 9 - The Glorified Potting Shed

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1061926/

Well its the middle of January. C'mon in and take a peak.. its not too messy in here but things are either dead or dormant as far as plants go. I have a pile of containers from last year with the last seasons annuals in them and some perennials here too. Soon I will be starting to clean off the plants and begin to water them to see what might spring back to life in here.

I like that, the very words "spring back". Isnt it what we are waiting for, the reserection of a new season. Well, reality check, we still probably have a ways yet to go with the winter hoe-hums.

In the meantime, while Im peaking in on things here for the rest of the month, I am still hard at it marking the calender with planting and sowing dates and getting things organized for the garden in my journaling.

Been peaking at catalogs and drooling over the new plants out there that I would love to have too.

So what are you doing this time of year? Is your potting bench getting in order?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, here they are again... dead and dormant!

My pansys still have a little green, but they are frozen. There is a dianthus that is actually greenand looks to be growing. The rest is pretty mych dead as far as the petunias, marigolds, allysums and other annuals, and the perenials, yep, very dormant.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Zzzz...*snark*...zz...z..zz.....UH?...Wha?..I'm up...I'm up.

Well,my pipes finally thawed yesterday and I was able to get my seed trays watered bur pipes were busting all over the yard so Hub's was busy repairing all that mess.

Today's garden club meeting here at the house so I'll be busy with that today.

I got my heat mat and grow light out of the lean-to,set up on the kitchen table so I can WS some of my new seeds.

Weathers warming back up but rain in the forecast so I still can't play out in the yard....Danggit!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh my, out of hibernation.. thats no fun, pipes busting and all that rot. You gotta do the heat tapes.

I have not been outside yet today, but not likely I will have anything to do in the GPS yet.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No...haven't been out yet either and not likely today because of garden club meeting

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Was outside in the GPS today. Looks like the pansys could still have life. Everything in there is pretty dry. Dare I put some to water? Ahhh the great debate.

Found my snips though so took a brief hike to through the nursery and snipped some apple and forsythia branches for cutting.

Looks like the garden has a lot of damages. As mild as this winter really has been, the ice storm of the previous year is still showing its ugly head.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I cut some pussywillow to bring in. It was already sprouting so didn't need to do anything to it. Need to check the loropetalums and forsythia for possible cuts. I NEED some color!!!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

PPussys! OMG! I forgot about them.. those are out in the woods

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

What the heck is a loropetalum???

Well I was out in the GPS today.. checked the thermometer...60 degrees in there.. bet its colder than a digger in there at night though!

Everything is dead to a crisp. Dried out and nothing showing any green.

Loropetalums... bet you made that one up dint you! LOL! Laura-pet-a-lum! YEE GADS!! What is it?

Whah, my pussywills are under the snow yet.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

loropetalums are kin to witch hazel and have simular flowers. Can be grwon to a small tree or kept prune to shrub size. I have 6-7 of the purple leaf ones in my yard.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

ooOOooo! sounds like bucket forcers to me!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

never tried them so..?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

So... try them! LOL!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Think I'm just gonna mope around until I feel better

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Okie doke...well. dont mope for too long. We would not want to have to spade ya under.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,I'm full of sh** so things will grow well over me. Feeling better already just have to work on getting focus on what pile of bullshit I'm going to work on today.

I aplogize for the bad word.I forgot I was posting on a public thread and not d-mail.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2010 5:30 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

YOu makum goood fertilizer being full of that yano!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im used to you, but the folks outside might not like it! PARDON HER FREENCH!

Ok, well, I was a futzing aroung in here today, found me my MIlky Spore applicator and got out and did the front yard. The gophers turned it into a mine field and Im putting the Spores down to kill the grubs they are eating so maybe after the spore starts working the gophers will go nextdoor!

Heres the before shot....looks like horse kah-ka everywhere! Man, they been busy!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Whar's that bar of lye soap. Wursh my mouth out. Potty mouth ole woman.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Well we forgives ya....

I need to get out to the GPS.

I sorted a bunch of seed yesterday. Got quite a bit of mixed annuals and margolds off my 2009s. Still have to get the dead stuff off the pots in thar.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Just came in from GH. It's COLD out there. If it's gonna get 58,it needs to come on.

Variegated hops and nicotiana Smoked Chocolate are up...even in this deep freeze,something pops up almost daily. Fancy aquilgeia are putzing along. Only a few Roman Bronze,Single Black and Chocolate Soldier are up while seeds I collected 2-3 yrs ago from my Towers Light Blue are coming up like gangbusters which leads me to wonder how these seed vendors store their seeds.

I have a large zip lock baggies crammed full of annuals to sow if the darn pots and inserts would just get here.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, yesterday I put Milkie Spore on the front yard to combat the grubs....

Was 29 in the GPS this AM.

Got ants in my office....gotta go beat the pants off them....maybe I can use the TUBE here to club them with. BAM BAM BAM!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

FINALLY got the last of the tree and shrub stock inventoryed....nursery display cleaned...mostly. Inserts arrived yesterday but not the 4's....GRRRR! I hate it when shipment comes in sperate.Now I gotta clear off some bench space in the GH so I can at least get all this dang annuals sown.

Thumbnail by bigred
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! Lucky you!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Lucky me? LOL...very funny. Do you see how many seed packages are in there? I guess I'm going to start on my petunias and torenias and hope the pony packs arivve soon so I can get the vincas,impatiens and whatever the heck else is in there sown.
Bumped up trays of rose campion Hutchinson's Cream,rudbeckia Red Spot, Round-headed rampions,digitalis Cafe Cream and d.virdiflora and put them out side along with a tray of giant callas I bumped up last fall. All pansies and violas went on an outside bench yesterday and I moved stuff around but I still don't have near enough room inside to even start the petunias,vinca and impatiens...DAG!

Tomatoes,peppers and herbs are ready to start going outside for short periods each day until they're ready(and weather is ready)for those to go to the greenhouse.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sounds like yer too big fer yer britches over thar!

Oh, I will not show you the seed I got stashed! You would faint and then I would have to come over thar and wheelbarr ya to the dung heap!

Yano, yer x-rateds came yesterday! THUD!

ROTFLMBBO! X2!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,that package must have took the scenic route....LOL. Don't say I never gave ya anything.*BEG*

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Awww heck.. take a peak, this ois only part of my stash...

Scenic route my duff.. the postmaster ate it!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,I only showed you my bag of annuals. My seed frig is not quite that organized.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well thems the annuals.. I got a bunch of perannimals too.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Are you trying one up me?*G*

Happy Birthday too ME......Happy Birthday to ME....Happy Birthday Dear Peggy....Happy Birthday too ME! Hey? What am I so happy about? I'm another year older? Grump!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

yer alive?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

and kicking

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

HAAAAPY OLDNESS TO YUUU! HAPPY OLDNESS TO YOU!

YOU smell like a donkey and belong in a ZOOOOOO! LOL!

HE-YAWWWWW!

Gotta get my kicks yano!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Ha-Ha! You so funny.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, E-veal twin... what can I say!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

See here too you old whupper sniper... look what yer cake did to the world. Dang girl.. remind me to bring a far hose to the next main event ok! Dang, I thought I would never find my way to the GPS this morning after torching, ummmm I mean liting yer candles!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

PHFFFTTTT!
xxxx$xxxxxx$;>)#)

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Hehehehehe!

Well the fog, er I mean the smoke has finally lifted! Found my trusty rain gauge. Poked that in its stand.

Gotta prune some trees and start some willers.

Your varagaited sunroses are looking good now too.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

depends on how dry we are when I get back from exercise class on what I do today. Ponies arrived yesterday so let the seed sowing commence!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.