Aristolchia propagation

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Is there a way to propagate Aristolchia other than by seeds? I have a plant that's at least 7 years old, it flowers occasionally but doesn't ever set seed. I'd like to take some cuttings of it if I can propagate it that way. I want to keep it going, it falls on hard times every few years but so far has survived. I'd hate to lose it, though.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

They will root from cuttings easily - takes about 2 months to root.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Will they root in water or should I use a growth hormone and stick in the soil?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Just stick them in a pot of free-draining, loose soil or perilite, keep moist and shaded and WARM - no hormones needed. They WILL root in water sometimes, but my experience hasn't been good.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Hmm, I'll wait for warmer weather. Thanks very much for your help!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

lakeside, I've had very good luck rooting these in "wet" floral foam. Cut it into little one inch cubes. Make sure you trim your cutting right below the leaf nodes. make a tiny hole in the center of the cube for the cutting. dip in rooting hormone, and place in a tray or cup and keep a little water in them, and keep them warm as Kay says. I've got them rooting now under lights in the house, they can take anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 weeks to root.
I'll try to take a picture later for you.
mj

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Thanks MJ, I have some foam and I'll try it. A photo will help, do you insert the node into the foam too?

Blackshear, GA

Do you use the hardwood or softwood for your cuttings? I have tried before with no luck.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

semi hardwood. the new thin shoots sometimes root but not as well as a bit thicker shoots. the hardwood I've had no luck with.
It's very important tho that they be kept between 70-80 degrees and have plenty of humidity.

Phoenix, AZ

I've had great luck with just burying a portion of vine in the ground. They root really easy that way. I then cut it from the main vine leaving in place for several more weeks. Then dig up and transplant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.