Reworking hardwood floor

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I did manage to find my pictures, so to keep from going further OT on the brownbagging thread, I will start a new thread here.

This hardwood floor was redone shortly before my parents passed away by someone who either didn't know what he was doing or didn't care. I know he originally told them the floor would have to dry a day or more between coats and the last 2 coats he put on in the same day.... think he only put 3 coats on. Within a few months the floor had already started showing signs of deterioration. Now, the finish is peeling up and seems to be down to bare wood or fairly close at this point.

I was wondering if I could lightly sand the floors and apply more sealer, or if I am going to have to rent a big floor sander and strip all the way back to bare wood...... I inherited my parents house, and I will be renting it back out. But the rent on the house barely covers the insurance and taxes annually, so I need to get by as inexpensively as possible . Due to all the rain we have had, and now COLD weather..... it has already been empty about 3 mos and I need to get someone back in there. Just know no one descent will rent it with the floors in the shape they are in. In addition, we have to replace a large part of the kitchen subfloor because the dishwasher apparently leaked everywhere without us being told. I will be taking the dishwasher out and leaving it out!

See if you can tell anything about the floors in these pics. These were NOT taken to show the condition of the floor, they were taken for prosecution purposes because the girl had left so much JUNK and trash in the house even after having a FULL MONTH rent free to get her stuff out. .... she ended up coming back and getting MOST of the stuff out so we didn't bother with the prosecution. Anyway, so please ignore the piles of stuff that might be in some of the pics.... this first pic is the only one I could find of just the floor.....

Thumbnail by gen2026
This thread has 42 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!