Small Pipevine that looks like elegans ?

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

My neighbor grew a pipevine from seed that she ordered and lost the package...amazing it even grew, she didn't soak or anything, just threw them in potting soil and set them out under the eve's of her outdoor patio in late spring. One came up and bloomed ( I didn't think they bloomed till their second year) The bloom looks just like elegans, only smaller, the whole plant was barely 3 feet tall when it bloomed. When she noticed it forming a pod she asked how to save the seeds and I gave her some seed catching pouches. She brought me two pods that were in the pouches. She did not get pictures of the bloom or plant tho....and I didn't think to go down and take pictures.
Does anyone have any idea of which pipevine it might be?Both my poor big pipevine's are frozen. Hopefully they will come back from the roots, it's very well mulched.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have A. littoris, which looks like a smaller version of my elegans - maybe that's what she has.

Kay,
I googled Aristolochia littoralis and found a plantfiles description, but it showed that name to be a synonym for A. elegans. I have A. elegans. Her plant she said looked just like it but did not get as big, and bloomed the first year from seed. I was under the impression that pipevines were second year bloomers, guess that proved me wrong. I saw the plant when it was not blooming and the leaves do look like A. elegans. I just never saw it when it was in bloom. She's said she'd look to see if she ever took a picture of it, which would certainly be helpful !

I just ran out and pulled the grower's marker - it says 'Aristolochia littoralis'. so I don't know what to say.

Is yours big? Mine A. elegans easily covered a 10 ladder arbor and hung down several feet and then climbed up a nearby tree.
Her's never got over 3-4 feet tall. ummmm, a mystery to be solved !

Oh, yes - it is a very large vine, with blooms bigger than a cereal bowl. The blooms on the other one are the size of a tea cup.

This is where it's getting confusing. When I googled A. littoralis it came up with a plantfiles link to davesgarden

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/942/

Which shows it as a synonym for A. elegans, but A. elegans gets much bigger. Yet you have two different plants ? One big and one small and the tag on the small on is A. littoralis?

Yes, Maam.

Where did you get your small one? I'm wondering if it was mis-tagged?

I got it from a grower - yes, that's probably it - got mis-labeled. I have no idea what the 'right' name might be. I'm not worried about names - just how well they grow in my yard.

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a pipevine that stays around 4 feet-gets little fragrant yellow flowers on it. I'll see if I can find the pic and/or tag

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

Mine is Aristolochia clematitis zones 4-8

48"-72" tall

Here's a link to a pic or you can do your own search

http://botany.cz/foto/podrazecherb.jpg

Edited to add:

Oops....missed the part of your thread that said yours blooms like a small elegans, so it wouldn't be the same one as me!

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 3:10 PM

haha...no, but now you created ANOTHER issue, I'll have to see if this one will grow in Florida....It's lovely !
(you wouldn't have seeds or a cutting would you)
Oh rats, just "registered" the zones 4-8 .....pooh

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 7:22 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.