old pets

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

This is just the forum I needed this week! All our loved pets are getting old and in need of medical care at the same time.

I have a horse that is 38 years old. She is in great shape, eating well, holding her weight, and moving around well, until she lays down . . . Then we usually have to help her up with the tractor. I have her on Gloucosomine and MSM and it seems to be helping. Poor girl seems to know that she has to stand up to sleep nowdays.

Our 3 Shorthaired Pointers are 11 1/2 years old. Not really old for some dogs. Patches has had a problem with bowel blockage for the past several years and is on medication. We have to keep a close eye on him so things don't get serious.

Ticker develops allergies each fall now and requires a couple of shots and some pills. That's easy to do.

Now Missy has just been diagnosed with diabetes. So this week we're trying to get her blood levels under control.

Add to this - 11 sheep with 4 lambs that we treat as pets, 1 goose who thinks she's a sheep, 15 chickens, one hen with 7 baby chicks, 5 ducks and 1 turkey.

And we also have deer that we feed and talk to each day. There are anywhere from 3 to 9 each night. One winter night last year there were 15 that came to dinner!

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!