If you could only have 3-5 new Irises, what would they be?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I know most of you would say it's impossible to narrow it down to a few...but try...

For me they are:

French Riviera
Forever Blowing Bubbles
Center Ice

In about 3-5 years we plan on moving to a larger home with at least a few acres. For now, because I try to maintain a backyard habitat for birds all year round, my "lawn" space is needed to put out feeders for the birds in the winter. In the meantime, my limited space will remain what it is, and I'll only replace those that don't do well, or put a few in pots. I will have a little fun hybridizing a few this year. I'm still finalizing my "pairing" choices :)

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

Impossible but here's 5 I would like to get I haven't look at this year sites:
Expose
Santa
Applause Line
Jazz Band
Sister-My-Karen

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I just looked at some and now I am inspired.

3 new Rocky Top intros:
Blueberry Fudge
Fallalery
Magnificent Masterpiece

Fabulous One
Bluetique

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

You didn't say if you meant new intros or not, so I picked one new intro and 4 old ones.

Blueberry Fudge
Dawn to Dusk
In Living Color
Lady Madonna
Outlaw Trail

Harrison Valley, PA(Zone 5a)

Skywalker, any true med to dark blue with red or purple beards and a dark purple with either blue beard, or red beard.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Bluesky, do you mean like this one? It's a dark velvet blue.

Space Viking _

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

Wow! That could work! Thats beautiful!!!!!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone! Everyone's choices are lovely...I checked them all out :)

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

well... I already have an order in at Snowpeak for :
Wysteria Lane
Wonders Never Cease
and All About Spring.

Shopping around for:
Expose'

and will probably purchase
Crooked Little Smile,
Crowned Heads,
and Magic Kingdom from Iris 4U

oh... that's 6... oh well! ha ha!

Raleigh, NC

SusanLouise, were you aware that the American Iris Society has a symposium each year to determine the favorite irises?

Folks vote for their favorite iris. Think they post the top 100 or something. Not all irises are on the ballot (don't recall what the criterion is) but some that stay on that list are quite old - old reliables. I saw my first ballot last year. There were around 500 irises on it.

http://www.irises.org/top100.htm

check it out.

HappyJackMom, I'm not going to know what irises are coming up yet but in the summer, any chance of a trade? Would love to trade for a Space Viking! We could d-mail to talk if your interested? Thanks.
blue

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Sure Bluesky, as long as they bloom this year and we can find them. I re-labeled it last year, but with the high winter snow, heavens only knows where the labels will end up. ^_^

Central, SC

DaLove Rat,
Napa Iris has Expose'. So does Mid-America.

This message was edited Feb 5, 2010 1:27 PM

Kansas City, MO

My list is as follows:

Love Actually
Amber Essence
Jazz Band
Rainbow High

I will make room for them even though it means cutting back on the sizes of other clumps I have worked to accomodate for a few years. These will add alot of color.

Thanks HappyJackMom! I will write down what I have to see if you are interested.

blue

Raleigh, NC

I adore Jazz Band. Saw it in Keppel's garden 1st time. Was there hoping to see Pirates Ahoy- I was in love with its photo. But then I saw Jazz Band and had to have it. Hot Hot Hot color - just jumps at you. Love it. We have so much shade, the pastelly irises just fade into the background and you don't really notice them. JB I planted right along the street, and I've had folks stop and stare. LOL

Bakersfield, CA

Into Temptation
Oxford Countess
Lord of Mayfair

And one Bonus -- Rogue Trader!

Cherryvale, KS

Happy Saturday BIF's!! I haven't looked at many this year! I received Keith's catalog, and will have to have Adoree, and Haunted Heart. I wanted Bearded Beauty from Bluebird, but they were already sold out. I'm trying to be conservative this year! I will have to seriously delete some, to have anymore. I also need to add compost to several existing beds. My husband has been a problem this winter. He started running a high fever(104.5) in December, and we still have more doctors and tests to go. I'm going to try and get my kids and grandkids to make another bed behind the garage. My garden helper (Ruth) has also had health issues this winter. Can hardly wait till they are all in bloom again! picture of my first great- grandson, Kyndon!

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Gainesville, TX

Louisa's Song
Blowing Kisses
Naughty Nights
Trying not to even lust for the expensive introductions, these are pricey enough

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Nicky my thoughts are with you for your husbands health. It is a long road to go that long and still have testing going on. Oh and what a beautiful little great grandson. He is adorable. What a sweet sleeping face he has.
Steph

Raleigh, NC

great grandson?!! Not fair. Darn it, I havent' even talked mine into having grandchildren for me yet! (((grumble)))

seriously, take care of your DH, Nicky. Don't like the sound of that high fever at all.

Kansas City, MO

This message was edited Feb 12, 2010 1:56 PM

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

How cute Nicky. Congrats!

Hope your husband gets feeling better soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.