Discourage established cut off tree trunks (privet)

Port Chester, NY

I have thinned this privet extensively and think I may want to get rid of it altogether from this holly. Very difficult to dig out. Any alternatives you can suggest to get rid of it? Discourage the new shots at least? Thanks

Thumbnail by feathervisions
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd remove all but the farthest stem from the holly. It'll probably require regular removal of suckers on the holly side though.

Port Chester, NY

If I decided to keep one stem (tree) - the birds like it and it covers the telephone pole a little - that a black plastic bag wrapped and wood chips covering, might do in any suckers? Is there some sort of tar that can be used to kill stumps?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Privets are notorious for regularly seeding in wherever birds perch and deposit. I'd delete the thug.

Cut it off 6-12" above the ground (any time you'd like) and immediately spray or paint the cut surfaces with a general woody herbicide. BrushBGone, or Roundup/glyphosate ready-to-use products are a couple of labels that are easy to find. If the plant is rude enough to resprout, you can cut it again (below previous cuts) and paint it again.

You will win this battle, and your holly will appreciate it in the long run.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.