That's Entertainment!!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I think entertainment warrants its own, dedicated thread. So this is the place to discuss books, music, movies, tv, theater, art, games - whatever!

I received a novel for Christmas - The Dante Club. Anyone read it?

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Anyone see Sherlock Holmes?? I like Robert Downey Jr. a lot, but he seems miscast here.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Everyone should see Avatar!

Looks weird!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm definitely seeing Sherlock Holmes, whatever happened to Ironman2 I wonder..

I think it's coming out soon.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

DS saw Sherlock Holmes. He couldn't stop raving about it and he's currently going through the stage where he's "too cool". He doesn't act excited about anything.

Avatar was excellent. I wasn't thrilled by watching the previews, but a friend insisted I go, and I'm glad I did.

One reviewer said SH was more like a Bond movie than a traditional Sherlock.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't think I'd be able to look at Sherlock as Sherlock because I've read a ton of the books, so I have an image in my mind of what he should be like.

Not crazy about sci fi so probably a no go on Avatar.

Haven't seen an grown up movie(in the theater) in ages, hubby just bought for us Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and UP, haven't watched UP yet.

UP is great. Sherlock Holmes is Basil Rathbone to me!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, Basil was perfect.

UP is ok but not as good as the 'Ice Age' movies with the squirrel! lol!

I think it's much better! But the best Pixar to me was The Incredibles!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Basil Rathbone. What a perfect name.

Naw, ...I didn't like the down side to UP in the beginning, my fav Pixar was 'It's a Bugs life'.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Toy Story was my favorite.

Yes, the beginning was sad, but it was still really good. Loved Ratatouille.

Yes I have Ratatouille, just copied it last week, saw it in the theater too! lol!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOVE Ratatouille, actually is there a bad Pixar movie? I think NOT!(Principal in the Incredibles)
Monster's Inc was great.

Mary Poppins will always be my favorite Disney movie.

I was not thrilled with Cars, but it was still not bad. Can't believe they're making Cars 2, but no Incredibles sequel yet!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I liked Cars a lot but we're into NASCAR too so that may have something to do with it.

Learning the strum for Brown-Eyed Girl on the guitar. Getting some of the chords is proving pretty challenging. I need longer fingers.

Monsters Inc was very good - have to pick up the sequel next time.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Hacuna Matata!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejEVczA8PLU
Great idea for a thread! Was thinking...do you suppose, while it is so cold outdoors, we could agree on a book to read and discuss here? Just some of my late night musing...^_^

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

LOL! Good idea!

Monsters Inc sequel????

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Even if you don't like Sci Fi - Avatar is worth the 2 plus hours. Now that I have vision in both my eyes (cataract is gone!) I want to go see it in 3-D. It has to be awesome! You should see the plants and the creatures on the planet - especially the collared lizards! The color scheme is beautiful and the digital images interfacing with the actual actors is flawless. But this has to be seen on the big screen! Someone I know saw it at an IMAX theater - I am jealous!

My suggestion for a winter book to read is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver if too many of us haven't already read it.

Edited because I remembered to put the book title in Italics!

This message was edited Jan 10, 2010 11:37 AM

YC, I think thats what intriqued me..the plants and animals...when that huge tree was destroyed I actualy cried...I'm going to see it again too.

The blue female looks interesting.

She was..she was kind of the Pocohontas go between the earth people and the planet inhabitants...even thou I know thats not what you meant:-)

Of course I did! ^_^

I doubt she can top Mystique, from X-Men.

Saw a monsters 2 dvd with the cartoon characters, but not pixar's, must have been 'gray market'. (lol)

Saw Tim Burton's '9' today, interesting, creative, definitely not a child's movie.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

9 looks like something I would like

I saw previews for 9. Its on my list.

You're right Victor. Mystique looks a lot like her. But its a whole other concept.

I have a stack of winter reading books by the nightstand but all I have been reading are cookbooks:-) Comfort foods and soups and stews for these cold days.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Any of you ladies watching "The Bachelor"?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was at a dinner and the "Up in the Air" movie was discussed.
I could watch George Clooney forever but the person who saw the movie didnt think it warranted all the Oscar buzz.
I rent on Netflix as the movie theaters are too loud.I'm just a geezer.

And too expensive!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont particularly care when I see a movie.
I only rent 4-5 star rated ones.
The new Merel Streep movie rated 2 stars. I could tell from all the hype and Alec Baldwin in the buff looking like a creampuff pastry isnt entertaining.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I usually don't go by the main stream reviews either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.