I need some worms

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Okay, so maybe winter isn't the time to start a worm bin, but its so hot here in the warmer months that I can't fathom having them shipped here then. Besides I am tired of wasting my kitchen scraps in the outdoor compost bin that has been a miserable failure. Not to mention that the indoor worm bin will be a great home school project for my kids. So, I'm looking for anyone who may have some red wigglers to spare. If there is anyone out there who does perhaps we can strike up a deal for them? Send me a D-mail. Thanks!

Erin

SUN CITY WEST, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi tarziesgirl,
I just purchased worms from Uncle Jims worm farm, and they arrived in good shape the next day.
I bought the 2000 amt. with free shipping and noticed they have lesser amts. available.
Good Luck
Chuck

Virginia Beach, VA

I've also purchased from Uncle Jim's Worm Farm and could not be happier. Try the 2000 Red Worms - its the best price I've seen and even has free shipping.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

fruitsgarden, how long did it take for the order to arrive, I ordered today, I posted on another thread. I seem to remember when I prepared a new bed that I gave them corn meal to get it going, I'm already saving kitchen scraps, so they'll be well fed, hostajim

Long Beach, CA

I got mine from Worms Ect. They were very healthy and active and came well packaged. I got 1000 for $20.00. Well worth the money. I already have little worm babies.

Superior, MT

Erin, you don't have to buy huge amounts of worms. 3 months ago I put 20 adult eisenia fetida in an 8"x14"x8.5" plastic bin. When I counted the worms (yes, I did count them--my non-worming, patient husband gave me several hours of his time to tally my count), I had 204 adult worms, 191 juvenile worms, and many babies and cocoons! This would be a fun project for your kids! It's hard to wait 3 months, so you could count after 1 month, then 2 months, etc. I have found some really good worm sites for kids by Googling vermicomposting. I haven't tried Googling "kids and vermicomposting"--but you might narrow your choices.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2011 9:40 PM

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I totally agree with OffTheGrid; My redworm farm started with a Styrofoam cup of "fishing" worms I bought for $2.25 in 2008. I had stopped at a country gas station/country store and there they were, 8 or 10 cups of red wigglers. No, I didn't count them - it was probably 15 to 25 worms. Now (2 days ago) my outside worm pile is full of worms again. I don't know if the worms freeze during the winter and these are hatchlings or if the adults go underground and come back for the veggies and coffee grounds when it gets warmer.

I understand the worm farm people needing to sell a lot of worms at a time to make it economically worthwhile as a business. This is just another way to get started.

ps - just be sure to get red worms, not night crawlers.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2011 9:23 PM

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

totally agree with off the grid and pbyrley.. i started 2yrs ago..with 3 tubs..now up to 4..i started with 3# of worms..more than i really needed
to start..but typical of my overthetop thinking..LOL
ive given worms to 3 friends over the winter..(slow time for worms to reproduce) and my bins are full of worms/eggs..still..
friends say they'r bins are going strong..and worm population has increased alot..
good luck to ya....

Longwood, FL(Zone 9b)

I bought my worms from Monroe Works in Archer, FL, and I bought the minimum amount a year ago. I have so many worms now that I need to go to another bin (I use the 10 gal Rubbermaid Roughneck containers). My household size is one person to create worm food.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

i'm not sure what kind of worms i got, but today at work while i was planting i filled a 40oz cup with dirt and worms, i dumped half in my compost bin and half in my garden bed, it was raining though so i promptly covered them with more soil cause the robin's were eyeing me! i can't believe i've been gardening for weeks and i've found not one single worm! what's up with that?! i'll be buying lots more from bait shops and just transplanting them to my yard. lol

Port Townsend, WA

I got uncle jim's worm package from uncle jim's last week and the worms added up to abou to 2 cups (aprox.2000? looks more like 1000) of baby worms that were in shock after 3 days in the us mail. All for $40!!!

The box was slightly crushed and some worms excaped just to die in the large plastic post offace container.

It would make much more sense to find some local gardener that has worms, then offer them money! $10 a quart would be plenty.

This message was edited May 23, 2011 10:48 AM

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

In the South anyway, red worms (red wrigglers) are fish bait and you can get all you need for less than $5 but you must get red worms, not night crawlers.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I looked at the website for Monroe Works in Archer, FL (near Gainesville) www.shop.earthwormworks.com
Their prices are pretty high UNLESS, you buy their "cupped European worms", 8 cups for $19.95. It's called "Cupped Bait". I'm sure 8 cups would make you very happy if you really want to pay more for fish bait.

I had European worms in my first worm adventure, near Charlotte, NC and they did just fine. Their advantage for me was that they are (supposed to be) better fish bait than regular red worms. Other than that, the red worms convert veggie scraps just fine and I wouldn't pay extra for European worms. I have no idea if they are somewhat better suited for those of you in colder climes but they may be.

Paul

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

I always wonder - what ever happened to tarziesgirl. Did she get her vermiculture started or just give up with all our instructions and comments. Note that she never replied after her first post in Jan. 2010.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Oh..... Why not night crawlers? I just bought 20 (& counted them to be sure!) from walmart for $3 in the bait section. They're Canadian night crawlers. I figured they'd survive zone 5.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I hadn't realized it had been so long since I asked about worms. My how time flies. I did in fact get a tub of worms together. I have now outgrown my little bin and am upgrading to a much larger setup. I bought mine from Uncle Jim's and they have happily multiplied. I guess it was worth the money since I couldn't find a cheaper more local source.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

OutlawHeart81,
the food that nightcrawlers (I think it's mostly dead leaves and rotted wood) eat is reported to be different from what redworms eat. However give them a try . In zone 5 Canadian nightcrawlers may do fine. Let us know how they worked for you.

It occurred to me that my "redworm" pile is just right on top of the dirt and the redworms stay there because they like what I feed them (kitchen veggies + coffee grounds). The pile keeps getting bigger so I guess it's working well. When I turn in the day's kitchen scraps, I always see redworms and never have seen a nightcrawler.

Nightcrawlers are plentiful in my yard and whenever I rake back mulch to plant something, I nearly always annoy at least one nightcrawler - sorry buddy. They work over the mulch (turn it into rich looking soil) as it decays and they like the fact that I water when it's dry.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Ok, awesome. My compost pile is actually mostly yard waste, i regret to report that we truly don't throw away many veggie scraps. Mostly coffee grounds. and in my yard i have not found A Single stinkin worm. So I'm transplanting them. Today when i rolled my bucket a bit i found A salamander!!! And many many daddy long legs....yeeesh....

Edinboro, PA

Just started and enjoy your thread. I have started with European night crawlers and am doing fine with peat moss and newspaper and a minimal amount of food until they are well established. I have kept the escapees to a minimum so something must be right,

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I've been checking in on them every so often and they look happy! I can't say as all 20 are accounted for, since the smell of the bin some days will gag a maggot, but usually just when i add new grass and weeds. Anywho much of the clumps of sod seem mushy and are starting to really break down nicely. There are no more visible coffee filter, and only the occasional weed seedling pops unjust to get rolled back into the depths. I'll be adding more leaves soon and possibly pine needles. Think the worms will like pine needles?

Tampa, FL

Please consider what you compost. What goes in comes out. When composting for consumption news paper, cardboard contains toxins which are carcinogens. Try to trace the origins of what to compost. Composting some manures contain wormers that are very dangerous. Also consider what worms to use.
CAUTION IN BUYING THESE WORMS, Eisenia foetida, or"European Night crawlers."are non native worms,
Eisenia foetida

Eisenia foetida, or"European Night crawlers."are non native worms, This is why we.
with any non-native species, it is important not to allow them to reach the wild. Their voracious appetites and reproductive rates (especially among the red wigglers) have been known to upset the delicate balance of the hardwood forests by consuming the leaf litter too quickly. This event leaves too little leaf letter to slowly incubate the hard shelled nuts and leads to excessive erosion as well as negatively affecting the pH of the soil. So, do your best to keep them confined!

CAUTION IN BUYING THESE WORMS, Eisenia foetida, or"European Night crawlers."are non native worms,
Eisenia foetida
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Eisenia fetida, known under various common names, including redworms, brandling worms, tiger worms and red wiggler worms, are a species of earthworm adapted to decaying organic material. They thrive in rotting vegetation, compost, and manure; they are epigeal. They are rarely found in soil, instead like Lumbricus rubellus they prefer conditions where other worms cannot survive. They are used for vermicomposting. They are native to Europe, but have been introduced (both intentionally and unintentionally) to every other continent except Antarctica, occasionally threatening native species.
Google the story of Hongkongwillie.

Use a native worm from your region. Thanks Hongkongwillie.

Thumbnail by Hongkongwillie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.