Ideas help with building a coffee table....

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I don't usually hang out on this forum, but my oldest son is in college and is in an on campus apartment. His former roommate who had almost all the furniture has graduated and taken everything with him! I am needing to furnish an apartment on a small budget. My son had enough money to purchase a decent sofa and a tv - priorities in his order.... but now he wants end tables and a coffee table but has a DEFINITIVE idea of what he wants! ^_^

He is a wanting a flat wooden top - preferably hardwood - with legs all the way out to the corners and a shelf underneath for magazines, etc. Hard to describe by written word, but I need a source for square legs (they can be tapered but don't have to be) and I also need some input on what I might can use for the tops. He is not wanting molding around the edge so that pretty much eliminates a hardwood plywood....... I am wondering about purchasing hardwood flooring and ripping each side that would be an "edge" and gluing the hardwood flooring strips together to form a solid top. Anyone have any experience with this?? Any other suggestions that might work better??

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions as I am on a tight budget and an even tighter time line!!

We are currently in the process of sanding down a table top and seats on the matching chairs - we will stain or clear seal the hardwood tops and then paint the rest of the legs, etc black to resemble some of the modern dining sets that you see in the stores. My Sister in law was kind enough to donate him a nice square oak dining table with 4 chairs - and it is just a matter of redoing it to change it from Shabby Chic to more masculine.... :) Thanks for any help you can offer......

Also, if you have any ideas on how to add some inexpensive additional seating to the living area that would be great as well.

Genna

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!