Heidi Chronicles - Just Hanging Out Until Spring

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing saga of Heidi and friends, raccoons and the occasional opossum who frequent my backyard wildlife buffet. Right now, however, we haven't seen the raccoons for a while. They will be back in spring when they are mommies again and very hungry. In the mean time, we are just chatting about whatever topic comes up until the raccoons return once more.

Prior Thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1059026
1st thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944/

The pic below is from summer 09. It is Echo standing upright in an effort to get my attention so I will toss her another treat.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Congrats on the camera's return, Cheryl: great news!

Our daytime temps are supposed to rise to the 30' tomorrow for the first time in over a week, but they're also calling for some snow. Is it spring yet????

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

So glad that your camera is AOK! You had me "on the edge of my seat" and worried that they had returned it more badly broken than you had sent it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

OMG, Ruth,

To think that you are waiting for a daytime temp in the 30's is just incredible to me, especially after realizing how horribly cold I felt last night when our low was 32. Ouch! But, alas, no, I think winter has only begun to 'entertain' us. Spring here usually starts in about a month, but somehow I'm doubting that that will be the case this year.

It is wonderful to have my camera back - and work well at that. Now if I just had something to photograph. How ironic that the whole time it was gone I had things to photograph almost daily, and now that it is back I have nothing. The pink camellia is long past 'gone'. The few trees with brilliant colored leaves are now naked. The cat won't even come out to plan because it's so cold. I have the camera and like a kid at Christmas I long to use it, and suddenly I find myself in a desolate 'winter' wasteland where nothing looks interesting enough to photograph - but I'm sure that won't last forever.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

Oh, good. I was trying to effect a transfer of how I felt as I unwrapped my long awaited prize only to find that it was almost totally dead. For those few awful minutes I actually believed like you that it had come back in worse condition than when it left. That really was a very dramatic moment.

But, thankfully, now it seems to be working great. They even adjusted the white balance, something I needed to do but didn't. Now if I can just find something 'photographable' on which to try it out. Where are those winter roses when you need them?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl -- that is just so ironic!

this COLD snap is really unbelievable... i mean, we are used to 20's and below -- we may not like it, but it's quite common for Jan and Feb .... but you southerners ... from what i've seen, this is quite rare. Snow in Texas, freezing in Fla, Alabama and the Carolinas.... the weather is obviously all the chatter in gardening forums.

Certainly hope next month its warmer... I'm heading to FLA

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

I may have misled you as to our current weather. For some reason last night I was just cold, probably mental because I had heard it was supposed to get so cold even here, but in reality it never dropped below 32F here last night. That's not really out of the ordinary for us. We usually even get a few nights (3-5) down as low as 28F.

Our high for today is expected to be in the 50's. At 10:30AM I was sitting in the parking lot drinking my coffee and waiting for my favorite parking spot - yeah, I do that - and believe it or not, I had to turn the A/C on lightly because the sun beating down on my left side was making me HOT - and I had the window down already. I was wearing a light but lined suit jacket over a short sleeve shirt, and between that and the hot coffee and the sun beating down on me through the open window, I was literally getting uncomfortably warm. I tell you we are practically living on the face of the sun here. It might get cold at night, but as soon as that sun comes out good in the morning, it heats up fast.

So, again, it really isn't unseasonably cold here. I was just feeling extra cold last night. I can't trust my internal thermostat these days. I'm cold. I'm hot. And it rarely has anything to do with the actual temp. Sigh.
And since I erroneously believed it was so exceedingly cold, I let Kitty off the hook last night - and I was so looking forward to featuring her on the cover of this thread. I figured a cat pic, especially a cat that is practically the same color as a raccoon, would be rather unique and eye catching on the cover of the Heidi thread for a change, but it just wasn't meant to be. Oh, well.

After seeing how cold I was last night, I just don't know how you guys do it up there. If it got that cold here, I don't even know if my heat pumps which are sized for the weather we expect could even maintain the house at 70. Heat pumps, as I understand it, work based on the difference between the outside air and the inside air. I don't think they are intended to handle a difference of 70 degrees or so like you might have up there. I have to admit. In the past I have never truly understood the big rush (from up there) to hurry spring along, but now I think I am getting it.

As to you heading to FLA, I think it is cold there, too. Better head for South America. Or at least stay near the coast. There does seem to be a warming blanket just along the immediate coast that keeps us from experiencing the temps elsewhere, even in other parts of SC.

Stay warm.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

the last week of Feb i will be on a cruise to the western Caribbean. hopefully it will be warm there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Oh that sounds marvelous. If it is warm anywhere it should certainly be warm there!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Forgot to mention that my camera did, BTW, return with numerous attached [small] discounts for Nikon products, both H/W and S/W and for links to online photography classes sponsored by Nikon, etc. They did not miss out on the marketing opportunity, but they did handle it in a subtle and unobtrusive manner.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If our weather is heading your way,Cheryl, look out! We're at 38° now, and the temp is falling fast. I'm going to run the sprinkler this afternoon and then cover the garden.

Tonight Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Much colder. Lows in the mid 20s. North winds 15 to 20 mph.
Friday Partly cloudy. Colder. Highs in the lower 30s. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Lowest wind chill readings 9 to 19 in the morning.
Friday night Partly cloudy in the evening then clearing. Lows in the lower 20s. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Brrrrr....!

Oh, and yes, tulips DO grow about 40 miles away from here! And lilacs, too. On the other hand, they get both colder than us in the winter, and hotter than us in the summer (although not nearly so humid.) So I guess I can't complain TOOO much. LOL

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

When I lived in the Missouri Ozarks I got to have the rhododendrons, tulips, lilacs and peonies and I did enjoy them and planted lots of different ones just so I could experience the "northern" spring. I really did like them a lot, but I missed terribly the camellias and roses that were still blooming at Christmas... And the fact that I had to put up with the temperature extremes of over a hundred in summer and less than zero in winter...well, let's just say that coastal weather is so much more moderate and lovely that I will try to never live very far north or inland again. Though there is no telling where the Army will need us to live next, the gulf coast is where I would like to spend my retirement.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ouch, Marylyn,

That does sound cold. It's lucky that you have lived in colder areas and at least have some idea as to what to do to prepare for the cold - and you have blankets available. I was just checking the weather.com site and noticed that their main page has a link for power outages. That would be my #1 fear in the cold.

I looked at the map of current US temps. Your area is currently much colder than mine. You are in the lower part of that cold arctic blast, not the purple area that is horrendously cold but the grey/white area that represents the next level of cold. Thankfully, we aren't in any part of that arctic blast area. At the moment it is 50F here and still climbing. Inside, I've had my suit jacket off most of the day.

I checked our 10-day projected weather. Unless things change, we aren't predicted to get that super cold blast - thank heavens and I sure hope our luck holds out. Maybe you should come for a visit until things warm up at home. : )
Except for Fri, Sat, & Sun, our projected weather is in the 50's by day and the 40's by night. That sounds downright comfortable compared to what I'm seeing and hearing about elsewhere. At that rate, we may be warmer than parts of Florida (hint, hint, Terese). Our weather for Fri, Sat, & Sun (the worst of the 10 day period) is projected to be in the 40's by day and drop to the 30's and even 20's at night. Sun is the worst of it with a projected low of 22F. That is really extreme for us, something I frankly haven't seen here since I've been taking note of these things. I will have to see that to believe it, but just in case, I think I'll try to dig out what cold weather gear I can find.

So far our projected weather doesn't look all that bad. It looks like we will just be on the outskirts of the actual artic air mass that is effecting much of the country, but as it is coming down hard through the mid west, you appear to be in the path, at least of the secondary part of it. I have my fingers crossed that our luck here holds out and we manage to stay on the fringes of that thing.

Hoping your weather won't get as bad as predicted. Better wrap the pipes and leave the water dripping just in case though. You probably know all of the tricks, but when I lived in a slightly colder area we used to put a 150 watt or greater light bulb in the pump house (well water) on really icy nights to keep the pump and related pipes from freezing. You might be able to use a version of that trick for pipes in exposed places if necessary. Since my house is built 'on the slab' (no crawl space for wind to get to pipes), I don't have to worry too much about pipes, but I do have a small section of narrow pipe that runs above ground for the back-flow assembly for the automatic sprinkler system, to let inspectors test that it doesn't allow water and other things to flow back into the system. The narrow pipe runs up about 2ft into the air to allow the testers to reach it, and consequently, unlike the pipes encased in the ground and the house, that pipe can freeze - and has done so. I keep it encased in foam insulation which seems to do the trick, but in summer the testers lift part of the foam to get to the pipe to do their test. When finished, they always neglect to put the foam back down over the pipe the way they found it. If I forget to check behind them, that section of pipe freezes on the nights when the temps drop into the upper 20's, and I wake up with no water. Argh! Just to be safe, all this week I've been leaving the water dripping since I don't think to check the pipe insulation until after dark when it's too late and cold to mess around out there.

Oh, now that I think of it, I need to get out there and wrap the outside faucets with insulation to be sure they don't freeze and burst. Better to take preventive measures than to have to deal with the mess of frozen pipes. Good thing we had this conversation.

Take care - and try to stay warm.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Cheryl I wouldn't mind a picture or two of Widget if he will pose that is!

June my sister lives by Lake Truman in the Ozarks and is snowed in right now! It really gets cold in the winter there.

Sounds like you need a nice field trip to an arboretum or tropical plant conservatory, just to try out your newly returned camera...

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Quote from spartacusaby :
Sounds like you need a nice field trip to an arboretum or tropical plant conservatory, just to try out your newly returned camera...

That is a great idea/reason/excuse! What a nice idea to stay warm and get outdoorsey type shots.

"Snowed in" is a bad thing! Even at Truman Lake! I was snowed in last week and saw that storms were hitting the US pretty badly too. Right now we are just marking time until spring ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

The problem with Widget and pics is that with all that hair, he has more bad hair days than good hair days. He looks awesome the 1st week after grooming, but somehow I never have time to get a pic then. Also, Widget has ADHD and can't be still long enough to take a picture.

I know I have other pics of Widget somewhere, but in the mean time, have you seen these?

Here is a thread from right after I got him as a puppy. The reddish discoloration around his mouth is due to chemicals, probably iron, in the water where he used to live. That wore off shortly after he got here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/563369/

Here is another, puppy Widget again: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/563418/

Here he is, slightly older puppy: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2159203

Watching me under the fence: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2218757
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3013273

Another from the garden: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2222171

Running with frisbee. That's actually the small 6in Frisbee, BTW, and it is almost bigger than he is: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3055643

There are other pics of him buried in the Heidi threads. I think I have some tagged. Will post links if I see them.

A different perspective: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3013009

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Occasionally I mention Sassy, the Maltese I had before Widget. Here is a thread with some pics of her. Widget is actually from far superior bloodlines and, when groomed, looks much, much better than Sassy did, but I have more 'groomed' pics of Sassy, so... Beware, though, I started this thread when she died. She had been with me for 9yrs and I was horribly sad at her passing. I still miss her sometimes. Anyhow, it's a very sappy thread, so you may not want to read it, but you can scan for pics.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/536978/

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is a better pic of Widget as an adult and with at least decent grooming:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4346259

My dopey attempt to reproduce the famed ET shot. It's harder than it looks, esp since any time he sees me with his toys, Widget assumes it's play time:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3817575

Widget sleeping. Can you figure out which end is which?
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3817482

Another view from under the fence. In summer, he spends a lot of time in this position when I am gardening and take photos in the front-side yard.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3817581

another one of baby Widget when I 1st got him home:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=1933150

This is NOT Widget. It is Sassy. She slept like this a lot. Here head is pointing away from you and to the left. Her front paws are straight out over her head and her hind legs are straight out and down, almost like a person might sleep. Since this is not the normal sleeping posture for dogs, my x used to think she learned this from watching us sleep. I think it must be a Maltese thing, however, since Widget sleeps in that same position often.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=1689916

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Found another. They are all over the Heidi threads really.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4346306

Thanks for asking, Judy! : )

If I find others later, or catch him in a decent pic, I'll post

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Such fun photo's. Thanks for posting them for us to see. I think both Widget and Sassy are adorable. They are so tiny and look quite cuddly. I just love it when they have the belly up sleeping posture. Angel(chow/corgie mix) spends half of her sleeping time in that position. She has dysplasia in both hips and she slept that was even as a pup. I just figured it helps align the bones with the socket and took pressure off or some such thing. I love rubbing her belly when she lays like that.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

You are very welcome. Neither Sassy nor Widget had/have any sort of hip or joint problem. Maltese just seem to be uber flexible. They appear to find that position very comfortable but also sleep in other more 'normal' positions as well. Widget sleeps curled up in his puff ball bed a lot. As to the flexibility of these dogs, another 'strange' position that seems quite normal to them is to lie on their stomach with hind legs either splayed out flat on either side of them (at 90 deg angle with body, inner thigh on floor) or stretched out straight behind them. In both cases the dog is flat on his stomach and the hind legs are stretched out flat in positions that look 'impossible', yet you can see that the dog is quite relaxed and comfortable just the same.

I rub their bellies, too. I used to rub Sassy's tummy more often than I do Widget's. Sassy was older and less 'animated' and more content to lie on her back that way. Widget - not sure if this is a 'guy' thing - doesn't like to be put on his back by someone else even though he loves to sleep that way on his own. I think it's a power issue. Also, not to be indelicate, but it's more difficult to rub a male's tummy because, well, there is an obstruction in the way.

Once when Sassy had surgery to take a liver biopsy, she was cut across her tummy from head to toe and was in a lot of pain even with a Fentynl (sp?) patch. That 1st night after she returned home, I put her in a small, cut down box (for her protection) in the bed beside me so I could keep an eye on her. She lay on her back with her 'injured' tummy in the air as if to say, "Look what happened to me" If you've had a dog or cat for any time then you know how they communicate with us even w/o words. She was whimpering with pain and kept 'asking' me to rub her injury. I rubbed gently beside the newly cut & sewn wound they had made on her stomach. When I did so she stopped crying. You could see that it made her feel comforted emotionally if not physically to have me noticing and tending to her 'boo-boo'. That night, all night long, every time I drifted off to sleep and thus stopped rubbing her tummy, she would start whimpering again and wake me up. Then I would resume rubbing until I drifted off again and...repeat. repeat. repeat all night long. I didn't get an ounce of sleep the entire night.

One night last week Widget had a tummy ache from something he ate. I was in bed, and he was driving me crazy. He would get up, walk around in a circle and sit down again over and over and over like a female about to deliver a litter. Finally, I got up, turned on the light, forced him to lie on his back, and started gently rubbing and massaging his tummy. In a few minutes, he calmed down. I could see that the rubbing/massaging was helping to relieve his stomach cramps. In time we were both able to go to sleep.

Glad you enjoyed the pics. Maybe I will have a chance to take a current pic of him sometime over the weekend.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, Everyone, here is the much awaited pic of Ms Kitty. See those big, lime green eyes? I also like the well defined tiger striping on her legs.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Kitty waiting for dinner.

Call me silly, but I could almost swear that she has a little extra pride in her stance now that she isn't totally homeless.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Back view. Trying to eat.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Trying to get a whole chicken breast in her mouth at one time.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

help. the crazy human won't stop sticking that camera in my face - and I'm trying to eat.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

trying to ignore the lens pressed up too close against my face while I'm trying to eat.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

Wow. That really sounds like a great idea. There is a garden/arboretum in Missouri where I could get lost for years. I've only seen it in photos, but I have a Webshots 'friend' who takes 100's of gorgeous, high quality pics there each summer, so I almost feel as though I know the place. The only gardens I know of near here are outside types, gardens on the grounds of historic plantations and home sites like Middleton Place, Magnolia Gardens, and Drayton Hall. Magnolia gardens probably has lots of nice camellias in bloom now, but those places are at their most splendid in early spring when over flowing with dogwoods and azaleas.

I love the idea but am actually very busy right now both at work where I have a Feb deadline on a multi-million dollar effort and at home where I've been hard at work getting the house in order now that I finally have the back pain under control enough to do so. I took a lot of time off last year, mostly in 2 day increments, for steroid shots and other back treatments. Then I took 2 weeks off for the flu and another 2 weeks for Christmas and New Years, most of which I spent cleaning and organizing around the house. Bottom line, I don't think there is an arboretum close by, and I can't spare the time to travel anytime soon.

While I'm feeling good, I'm determined to get the house back in order. Just the work I've done so far has decreased my stress tremendously and helped to make the house a much more inviting place to live. I've setup a cozy spot in the living room where I can work on my book and things of that sort. Sometimes I just don't want to go upstairs and sit in a stuffy office after spending an entire day in one at work. I'm also looking forward to painting again once I the house transformed back into a place where I feel relaxed enough to do so.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

June,

Is the army the reason you are in S. Korea? I wondered about that. I thought you were in the states earlier. Was that not the case? I can definitely see the downside of having to move at the discretion of someone else, but on the bright side, you are seeing and experiencing more of the world than most of us ever do. (I'm not sure I would be so quick to see the up side if it were me, of course.) How do you like S. Korea? I figure most places have their pluses and minuses. Or are you basically just waiting for the opportunity to leave?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

Eh, hope we didn't loose you in the move, esp since I know it was probably hard for you to read the last part of that long thread.

I didn't realize that you could pet the kittycoons, even if only under some circumstances. That's good to hear.

While still unsure about me, Kitty keeps showing signs of her former life as a pet. It's as though at moments she forgets that she is supposed to be wild now, and, without thinking about it, goes back to acting domesticated. The other day she really surprised me. I had put several pieces of chicken in her dish. Then I set the empty box on the bench to get ready to take some pics of her. I knew she was hungry and had expected her to eat the chicken. Instead, as I bent down to put the box on the bench, she jumped up on the bench right in front of my face. Everything about her body language at that moment was completely consistent with any ordinary house cat. She jumped up there in that mood cats get in when they rub all over you to ask for food. For a minute or two it was as if she was a 'normal' pet. A few minutes later she jumped back down and started eating the chicken. Still, in the brief interval when she jumped up on the bench just inches from my face and in that friendly, "rubbing against you" mood, I glimpsed the pet in her and her behavior seemed to suggest that she might convert back to a pet more easily than I had expected.

Glad to hear that you are able to interact with your kittycoons a bit.

How can work stand in the way of a good photo op/field trip?? Just kidding, I know all too well how that happens; but it is inherently wrong somehow.

I think Ms. Kitty is actually quite lovely, though I'll admit to bias; I've very rarely seen a cat who seemed truly unattractive to me, the hairless ones being a significant expection. And jumping on the bench in front of you is something even a half-wild cat would never do, as I'm sure you know; that is surely someone's dumped pet. Such a shame, but at least she's eating well these days; the shot with the chicken breast is hilarious.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Quote from spartacusaby :
the shot with the chicken breast is hilarious.
It is a funny picture!

DH is retired Army and works for the Army as a Civil Servant. We were living in the Missouri Ozarks, at Fort Wood, in the perfect "until final retirement mode". We had the perfect retirement house & gardens, the perfect location... And all of that got boring as all get out after about 10 years. We have around 20 years left 'till we will really retire, and about 40 years left before we die. (Both from long-lived families) There are too many years left for us to be in that mindset and we were craving adventure. DH had lived here for a year, about 20 years ago, and had always wanted to come back and for me to come too. He and I have decided to live in as many "different" places as we can until we decide to retire and this sure is different! We moved from a small town in the Ozarks to a city of 186K! The crime here is like America in the 30's. Little kids and lone women can walk the narrow streets and alleyways at any hour of the day or night and know that they will be OK and theft just dosen't happen. Everyone has a card with their name & cell phone number taped to their house door and on the dash of their cars - no anonymity in the cities here! The food is great and the people are super friendly. The language is really hard to learn and that is the worst part of it all. We need to find some classes for it as it isn't at all like English (or French or German), it is too very different. We will be here for another year at least. We do not have any idea where we will go next, though we are trying to figure out the system and how to get the ability to pick and choose which job at what location he will be going to next. There is always a way...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

That work should stand in the way of plants and photography is a shame, I agree, but I doubt my boss is with us on this. I have worked out a design in response to a request from a gov agency and am now writing a paper to basically defend and 'sell' my proposed solution to their problem, a very difficult problem for which they have been unable to find anyone else willing (or perhaps foolish enough) to propose a solution. I have less than a month to finish this and package it up nicely. A multi-million dollar project which my company hopes to get, rests on my effort (alone - which is scary). For this reason, I somehow just don't think they will be very happy if I run off to parts unknown to exercise my camera right now.

I don't really think Kitty is ugly so much as a bit plain, just ordinary. She isn't a beauty. There isn't anything flashy about her. I do, however, think that she actually looks better somehow since I've been feeding her. It could be that she is getting to me now, and I'm just biased; but I really think don't think that alone accounts for the difference I see in her.

I think she is walking a little taller now, holding her head up higher, looking a bit more stately and proud. Maybe having someone to depend on a little has softened the sternness and relaxed the lines I saw in the face of the cat who originally approached me so hungry, cold, and alone that night. Maybe these things have helped to evoke subtle changes in her look and in how she carries herself. She is still not a beauty, but walking tall now with the harsh lines erased she is looking much more presentable now than when I 1st saw her crouching in the pine straw all skinny and desperate.

I think part of her would love to give in, hop in my lap, and be a pet again. I think she is teetering on a fence between the desire to trust me (like when she jumped up on the bench the other day) and her fear of people, a fear acquired over months of trying to fend for herself alone in the streets.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Today I was out back with my landscaper discussing the work I would like him to do back there. I explained the buffet area, briefly, by indicating that I feed the raccoons and other wildlife back there - just feed, nothing else. A bit later as we were discussing the garden, he pointed to the back fence and said, "I think that must be one of your raccoons coming now."

I was shocked to think a raccoon would be coming out at noon and with a stranger in the backyard. I struggled through the bushes and trees to see the animal on the fence. "No, that's a cat" he corrected himself. It was Ms Kitty, probably hungry, and trying to get my attention. She was walking to and fro on one end of the fence along the forest line, doing that 'friendly', huggy walk that cats do when they are hungry. That she had come out of hiding in daylight and with guest around seemed to indicate all the more that she is becoming increasingly comfortable here now.

Well, like I told you early on, she is about as close in color to a raccoon as a cat can be. Now it's official. She even fooled the landscaper momentarily.

Oh, and while we were discussing the backyard, I asked him to bring 2 bales of pine straw and put them beside the pool - for the 2010 kits to build their fort.

The kits will surely love that gift of straw when they arrive at the buffet this year; and too funny that the landscaper mistook Ms. Kitty for a raccoon!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Brrrrr! Looks like we did not get spared that arctic air after all. I'm plenty warm, but when I sent Widget out this morning, he didn't go for his usual 10 min jaunt around the yard to see who had been there. He just did his thing quickly and came right back to the door, something he never, ever does. So, I checked, and, OMG, it is 19F here and the wind chill is 9F. I have never seen 19 here. This may have put and end to my [uncovered] outdoor houseplant. And poor kitty. I hope she isn't frozen solid. She didn't show up for dinner last night, so I guess she is somewhere trying to stay warm. I did notice that the heat pump was running a LOT last night.

Back when Marylyn mentioned this, my forcast had indicated a low of 24 for last night - and I had said I would have to see that to believe it. Well, the actual low was/is even colder. Now our upgraded forecast shows lower temps for the next few days, lower than what was originally predicted, including a low of 22 for tonight.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's 20° again here this morning, so I'm shivering with you, Cheryl! Tonight should be our last night below freezing - I sure hope so!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Marylyn,

I hope so, too. For the both of us. We've made it up to a toasty 35F now, BTW.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Have you seen the Sears eyeglass commercial...

the lady goes to let her cat in a night.. .has the door open, like she's calling her cat and here comes a nice sized raccoon, and she lets it in.

** I really didnt know what is being said, as I was riding the stationary bike with headphones on

But it's cute, and when i saw it this morning, on HGTV, i thought of the gardener who thought "Kitty" was a raccoon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.