Winter of 2009-2010 Could Be Worst in 25 Years

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It's official... accuweather: Winter of 2009-2010 Could Be Worst in 25 Years

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nearly the entire eastern half of the United States is enduring bitterly cold temperatures not experienced since 1985. Even Florida, which has been hovering around freezing levels overnight recently, is also feeling the almost-nationwide chill.

"It'll be like the great winters of the '60s and '70s," said AccuWeather.com Chief Meteorologist and Expert Long Range Forecaster Joe Bastardi.

The last time a large swath of severely low temperatures struck the nation was in January 1985. That historic arctic outbreak had below-zero temperatures Fahrenheit stretching from Chicago eastward to New York City, and all the way south to Macon, Ga.

While Bastardi says the upcoming days will bring cold not seen since 1985 or 1982, he believes this winter is shaping up much that of like 1977-78. That winter, nearly all of the United States east of the Rockies had a cold October followed by a warm November, with the cold returning in December.

What is most interesting in this case is what followed, where the months from January through March can all be classified as very cold, relative to normal.

"If it stays this cold for this long, will the groundhog even want to come out on Feb. 2?" wonders Senior Vice President and Chief Meteorologist Elliot Abrams.

This winter has already been rough for many areas of the country, with several blizzards dumping high accumulations of snow upon the Plains, mid-Atlantic and New England.

The cold air currently streaming across the Upper Midwest into the East and South will only compound the winter problems of the nation, especially since these depths have not been experienced across such a wide area simultaneously in decades.

Over the past 20-plus years, when below-normal cold periods have arrived in the winter they tend to have been limited to one region, according to Bastardi.

Temperatures have not been this low since the winter of 2002-03, which is known as the benchmark for frigid conditions in the last decade. However, that year the cold was not as widespread as what is happening now.

With the entire eastern half of the country in the throes of this arctic snap, this is shaping up to be the coldest winter in many people's memories.

http://www.accuweather.com/news-weather-features.asp?partner=&traveler=0&date=2010-01-04_1701&month=1&year=2010

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Joe sure does have an unfortunate last name...poor guy...

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

LOL...........Guess that's worse than mine is........LOONEY

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Bah humbug. I don't agree. We have already had one full less month of winter than last year (with Nov being much warmer than normal) So even if we have winter until June (like last year) it is still a month less.

Last year we had 36" of snow on the level on Christmas, this year 4".

We generally get pretty cold weather, we live in MI. And the other parts of the US get some extra crappy days too. I have a picture of me last year in Feb after taking a short walk, with frost on my eyelashes.

I think the weather guys just like to get excited.

My poor DH is always concerned about getting up early and plowing because some weather guy said we were getting snow. Most of the time, we don't get it.

So I am going to look at the positive side and BAH to the weirdly named weather guys. LOL

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Well, my plants here in south Florida look like mush. First time in 30 years. 35° here now as I type this and the temp is supposed to go in the low to mid 20's here tonight.
Florida's citrus crops are in severe trouble. This is not good.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Dorothian did you take your warm coat with you this year ??? the weather is weird all over this year sorry about your plants ;0(
Gloria

Yes, Gloria. I needed it for the trip down here and I'm wearing it now as we speak, LOL.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh dear I'm so sorry I know you go there cuz its warm !! what a dumb winter its so cold here try to have fun any ways ;0)
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

sorry to hear this

this is winter!! it does sink to new lows now and then(PUN)
it early this yr-feb is the month that really sinkz most yrs!!

10wks till spring!!! hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am really sorry to hear that the southern states are having such a bad winter. I think yesterday we had the same temp during the day. Now that is crazy.

I usually don't feel bad about people from Fla complaining about the cold, but this time, they have a very good complaint.

Warm it up down there will you?

Supposed to warm up by this weekend. i hope the farmers and grove owners aren't hurt too badly, but will take several days to find out how bad it is.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

44 days before going to Florida for 6 weeks (but who's counting)

Paul

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am heading to St George Island in March. It would be nice if it was warmer there.

Dearborn, MI

Don't know why, but the cold here is Florida seemed just as bad as Michigan. Yesterday, we lost power here for 15 minutes because the power companies can't keep up with demand because everyone has furnaces or heaters on. Must take more electricity than running those a/c units in the summer. Some of the stores are so cold because either they don't have heat or it's inadequate for the current weather. Florida is just not prepared to deal with Michigan weather. Because of the humidity, the cold seems to just seems to be bitter. Nancy

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes, the houses are not built to withstand those temps. and the furnaces etc. I hope your plants do ok. We may have to change you to a different zone.

I feel for you guys, you are really getting it bad. We expect it here. That temp there is crazy.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I bet the stores are haveing a run on warm clothing and such Its just crazy !!!!
Gloria

Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

Glad I wasn't up in the U.P. when this hit...

Thumbnail by Patriotboy247
Jenison, MI(Zone 6b)

and this one...

Thumbnail by Patriotboy247
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my melons are frozen too! O:)

notmartha, how are your buns? LOL

Some of the older houses have their water pipes on the outside of their houses and you can imagine what happens to them. My uncle had a house in Sarasota that only had a fireplace to heat his house with 2 floors. I remember it being quite cold there at the time. I was here when there was snow 30 years ago with my kids on Christmas break. That's the last time there was snow here.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

oh man I'm glad I wasent there either where is that at I know people that live up there including my grandson hes at Michigan Tec Berrrrrrr
Gloria

I was talking about Florida. Sorry.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.