Seed pod from a very confused Iris

Pawleys Island, SC

Hi All,
I harvested a seed pod friday night from a TB iris, "city lights". It bloomed in the spring and then rebloomed and was actually still blooming Christmas day. My question is I harvested the pod while it was still green because our temperatures dropped drastically saturday. Do you think there is any chance the seed will be viable?
Thanks, Linda

South Hamilton, MA

Probably not if it has not started to split open.

Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks, it is a huge pod, I sure hate to lose the seeds.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

I know nothing about Iris seeds specifically, but I've gotten unripe/green seeds from other plants before and if the seeds are full size, but still green, you can sometimes get them to germinate if you plant them immediately before they have a chance to dry out. It may not work, but it might be fun to try. :)

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If IrisMa says not, probably not, but it's always fun to try.

South Hamilton, MA

Sow them in a big pot & see what happens. Nothing to lose, I just think they are too immature. You can always tell that I was wrong if they germinate.

Raleigh, NC

If you "harvested" with the stalk intact, there is a method someone told me about. but it needs the stalk attached.

Pawleys Island, SC

The stalk was intact, but I simply cut off the pod.
I am going to try them anyway and hope they germinate.

Raleigh, NC

can't remember which hybridizer told me to do this, but it was one of them: stick the stalk in a potato. you can keep stalks with pods alive a couple more weeks this way. I've done it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.