Splash Sequence

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I bought this Amaryllis bulb at a plant local retailer. It was called Splash, and it was marketed by Van Bloom. It was quite expensive. Has anyone heard of that company? The first flower is just beginning. I thought I would show its development.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I've not grown this one before but I notice that Royal Colours have it in their catalogue. It looks a beauty!

http://www.royalcolors.com/index.php?orderitem_id=354228&nav=item_detail&path=group_items

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks for the information. Here is day 2 of the bloom. This is a full 24 hours later. The flower head has tipped downward. There are two other, smaller, flowers erupting that are hidden by the green sepal.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Here is the view early in day 3. Because of my daily schedule, I have been forced to photograph this flower in the darker hours of the morning and evening using flash.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

The flower has finally opened. In the meantime, I have found the (wholesale) Van Bloem website where they describe selling bulbs from crates, just as I bought this one.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Normally I don't care for doubled flowers because the form becomes too busy, but this is an exception. Here is the blossom fully opened at day 4.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Here's the flower as a snow bird, in the overcast and snowing daylight.

Thumbnail by Cibarius
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

And finally, in the sun.

Thumbnail by Cibarius

Beautiful, I love the dbls.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.