Need Your help

Poland, ME

I have been asked to help a gardener plan for a graden tour in 2010. I would be supplying lily bulbs. I am not exactly sure of the dates but it would be in July -- when daylilies are at peak. This would be in the Columbus Ohio area. Can someone give me an idea when peak daylily bloom would be and, if you grow lilies also, which lilium types (that is, asiatics, Trumpet, OT's etc. would be most likely to be blooming at that time?

I would appreciate any help you can give!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mainiac I'll be sure our DL and AL Experts see this post.

Make sure you keep us advised on the tour date and location(s)!

We LOVE tours!

Ric

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Around Cincinnati, peak bloom is the first couple weeks of July. As you go further North, you can plan on a week or two later. Columbus is about an hour north so I'd say mid-July would be perfect!

I can *show* you what was blooming in July but not tell you the names because I didn't mark these photos and the tags are getting snowed on right now. Sigh. Are you good enough to go by photos? LOL

Blooming July 11.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Same day.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

July 5

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

(Activa and Cobra July 12).

American Original July 8

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Asiatic Jacqueline July 12

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sigma July 15

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Species? July 18

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

July 26

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Orienpet?

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Really bad pic. July 27

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess I had better lighting on the 23rd!

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

July 23

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

July 25

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Electric was back on June 11

Same series, but can't think of name. June 22

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Asiatic Tiny Todd June 28

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I lived in Cincinnati all my life, in zone 6 (b according to some sources and micro climate) and moved about 40 miles east, still in the same zone and really haven't seen a difference. Dayton, Ohio seems to be a week or less behind me for peak bloom. I don't imagine Columbus is much different-maybe a week or so as they are listed zone 5b-6a.

I'll have to see if I have any photos labeled OR have more pics. I can at least tell/show you what is done by the end of June and what will last the month of July.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Asiatic Endless Love 6/24

Poland, ME

Thank you so much for the information. I see there is quite a bit of variance in the types that bloom but I should be able to come up with some nice choices! The tour will be part of the 2012 American Hemerocallis National Convention.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I wish I could be more precise but I didn't label all the pics or didn't find the right files. I'd go out and look at the tags but it's 14 degrees out there with a "feels like 0". LOL I bet it's colder there! It's been snowing all night and the kids have a 2 hour delay.

Hopefully we'll be back on our feet again by then so I can make it to the National!

Danville, IN

There is a huge daylily breeder/seller here in Indianapolis and they always plan their annual open house for the middle two weekends in July. Of course it depends on the weather (cold spring, etc.), but they've always had at least one of the weekends when the display gardens were in peak bloom. Indianapolis is almost the same exact latitude as Columbus, OH.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Cox Arboretum in Dayton might be able to help also.
They like Indianapolis are on the same latitude..

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

in your first post, you mention a tour in 2010- then later you mention the AHS national in 2012 - so not 100% sure which event you are talking about.

http://www.columbusdaylilies.us/ahs_national_convention___20.htm

this is the page for the event I think you are talking about.

Looks like they will be having it July 12-14, 2012

Clubs try very hard to time these events to be at peak bloom time for the area the event is being held.

Poland, ME

That's the one! Thank you!

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ramona, I thought you'd get the info you needed here, cool! So this garden tour being planned is in 2 years? Oh how the Lilies will have matured then!

Chele, that Orienpet with the ?, I believe you're right. It looks like Black Beauty to me, which I think some consider to be the first OT. And I didn't know you'd gotten this into Lilies! Hope to see you join me in this hopeless addiction, LOL.

Poland, ME

Yes, that is the point of planning for display/tour gardens. It takes a couple of years for the lilies to establish and show their true potential. These places start planning years in advance with their plantings and selections. But the reward is a mature garden.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Neal, I love Lilies! They were one of the first things I bought and planted and I've loved them since. :) I've just missed all the co-ops the last few years due to hard times. The last ones I purchased were species. I even planted some Lanzhou Lilies from the Asian food market. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Chele did you find them at JJ's?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Craig actually picked them up at an Asian food store in Evendale.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Chele, have they bloomed? That's so cool! I need to check out the Asian groceries.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Chele!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Yes, they've bloomed. I've actually had them since 2004 or 2005. For me they have been a miniature version that is really recurved and orange. I'll find a pic to post.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Fun project, Mainiac!

We'll have to put that Daylily convention on our calendar. I've been kind of out of it on hemerocallis for the past year or two~~they are hard to keep up with since they are always coming out with new hybrids but the convention would be fun to do.

Badseed, great photos and boy, you sure keep good records!

Anyway, I thought maybe Brookfield's (in Connecticut but it's Zone 5) gives daylily varieties fairly precise bloom schedule data that might be useful for planning purposes: http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/seasmid.html#midseason If you click around on the page you can find specific recommendations.

And the Ohio Lily Society always has it's show at Kingwood Garden (about 40 miles north of Cols.) around the 2nd week in July and here are a few photos from their website that may help you with lilium choices: http://www.ohiolilysociety.org/apps/photos/photo/next?photoid=42618159

For anybody who is interested, I also wanted to add that the Franklin Conservatory and Gardens has a big daylily display and it features plants from all the hybridizers in Ohio. It's a fun place to visit to compare the different styles of hemerocallis developed by various growers in our region.

I hope you'll keep us posted about the garden plans, mainiac! t.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.