The Outdoor Room

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Anybody catch The Outdoor Room with Jamie Durrie? What do you think?
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its a lovely idea for anyone in warmer climates.The conversation arear look so inviting but,
Its another room to clean and store furniture for the off season.
The idea took up a few percious spaces at our annual Garden Show. I didnt hear raves about it.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will look and record it.. thanks for the heads up.. I always dvr victory garden & the garden home.. my cable company is having a hard time agreeing on a contract and for now I lost the food network & hgtv.. hope they fix that.. I miss both of them!!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

FOX network is holding cable hostage here.
I never watch that channel so I could care less.
I believe other networks settled.
I like the HG channel but there isnt enough Garden to suite me, the home programs are just ads for granit tops,hard Crown molding.Guess I have the winter grumpies.wood flooring

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I agree JoAnn, for warm climates its okay. I rather have a deck or porch that can be partially covered or screened in against the summer bugs. Also the so called garden shows are mostly building hardscape and then at the end they stick in a shrub or plant and call it a garden make over. I wish they would have a show that actually discussed different plants, pest control,edgings and mulch using natural things. What plants work well together or attract nature, you know a garden program not a building how to. Some of the old time garden tour shows where good but they are long gone. I guess advertisers couldn't make enough money off of them and they run them in the summer instead of the winter when you want to see them.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - the garden shows stink now. The Gardener's Journal and Gardener's Diary were both very good. The makeover mentality has taken over the shows now.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The GardenScape show here in March was going in the hardscape direction and they almost didnt have it last year. Popularity was waneing.
I guess customers complained to enough vendors that there are now more plant displays.
I wanted to see different uses for plants. I realize at this time of year it is tough to force perennials but my Oriental Garden Supply guy had a blooming Cherry tree and a Wysteria in his booth,he won a prize.
I also get to see original handcrafted garden ornaments from local artists.
They have always had one day workshops on a variety of topics.
Cornell U. Puts out professional plant people who conduct them.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Who is going to be at Gardenscape this year, Jo? I saw Pamela Harper there a few years ago. Quite a lecture she gave.

But it seemed like the vendors were same old, same old.

Victor, my favorites were always A Gardeners Diary, and Gardeners Journal. I think some of the other shows are good for beginner gardeners, but those were wonderful for serious gardeners.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm still undecided as to whether or not I liked it. I rather liked the project and result. I'm hoping they do projects that are more suited to our areas. Ric

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Polly! The big Landscape and garden centers can afford to be visible everywhere.
I will check for the website and dmail you.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found our local annjual Garden Show website and am amazed at how it has ramped up the looks .
You can see one of the "outdoor rooms" displays from last year.
http://www.rochesterflowershow.com/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I loved the room not too sure about the personality of the host. Last year I e-mailed HGTV and commented about the lack of gardening shows. A friend and I had been discussing that we hardly ever watch it anymore because so much of it is home oriented with very little garden. A good bit of what is garden is just not suited to our area or pocketbook. I do like to see things that I couldn't do or afford just to enjoy them. Most of the gardening shows seem to be located in Calif and Fl which are great places for outdoor living but what about our area. I thought they might pick up more on the Veggie Garden theme as there has been more interest in that area. But I haven't seen that happen and I'm not sure that Paul James show is on HGTV anymore. The only reason we saw the new show was because I always watch the Rose Parade on HGTV it has the best coverage. I like curb appeal and some of the unusual home shows. Holly

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I also miss Paul James.
I had no idea he was off the programs.
I also have stopped watching HGTV for the same reason.
Its always where the money is that dominates programing scheduals.
There must be more money in Home improvements than in gardening.
The "makeover" shows are interesting from a clever creative standpoint ,but I am tired of the "house hunting" same old scripts.
I quote from every show of that type" I like the hardwood floors,the granit countertops and new appliances are really nice,this bathroom is really nice with 2 sinks" "The masterbedroom is a nice color"
What a bore.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gardening by the Yard was a good show.. and I agree there was not enough garden on that channel

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Maybe the HGC programmers didn't think gardening had a wide enough appeal.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

right now I don't have it anyway

:(

but you can see the Paul James things on the website

http://www.hgtv.com/gardening-by-the-yard/show/index.html

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

great I'll check it out

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I always liked him - the first show I was into - but he's been on long enough.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

He reminds me of Alton Brown on the cooking channel.Both made their areas fun and took the stress out of it.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you hit it JoAnn... they are both out of there minds!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.