Some pictures from my visit to Swan Island Dahlias

Boise, ID

While my wife and I were on our honeymoon in late August this year and we stopped for a few days in Portland. It occurred to me that Swan Island Dahlias wasn't too far away so we decided to take the 45 minute drive to Canby and take a gander at their dahlia fields. Fortunately, I brought my camera with me.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I would love to figure out what dahlia this is because I didn't take any notes and I contacted one the Gitts family members and she didn't know either.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I believe this one is "Sterling Silver" and if it's not that it's "Lady Liberty" I'm definitely getting one later this spring.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Vassio Meggos"

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I believe this is one of their 2010 introductions called the "Steven David" (maybe).

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

A field of "Pooh".

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Junkyard Dog"

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

This is an unnamed one in their test garden and I'm glad I got this captured. It's so wild looking!

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

Another one from the test garden I think I saw the same for sale on the Accent Dahlias website "AC Rooster", maybe? This one will be the last for a little bit I'll post more later today.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

A closeup of "Two-face".

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

This one almost looks like a fractal. You could just zoom in and see more and more edges form.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

A finished version of the fractal pictured above.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

Here's one I've been looking to get for this next year. "Nick Sr." a bit pricey but it definitely looks worth it.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

Another nice unnamed one.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I believe this one is named "Tempest", lovely shape and color.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Platinum Blonde" this one's a bit dirty but I love the anemones. Especially this pure white one.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Fuzzy Wuzzy" How can you not like this one?

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Ringo" if my memory serves me correct.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Wannabe"

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I really wish I could remember the name. Lovely dark foliage with a bright red bloom.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

Lovely little orchid. Might be either "Juul's All Star" or "Willie Willie". I think it's Juul's though.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

This little guy is great, probably works well for a border. I think the name is "Binky".

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I've got plenty more but I think I'm done posting pictures for now. I've shared the pictures with a few friends, I figured you guys would enjoy them as well. Something to kill time with until March-April.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 4:02 PM

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Congratulations on the wedding and thanks for the wonderful tour! Don't stop now, your photos are wonderful. I have tried to grow Fuzzy Wuzzy 3 times and rotted it all 3 tries so that goes into my "I can't do it" file. Sure is cute though. And AC Rooster- whew- I love that draping stellar form.

That two tone orange/red mystery up near the top is intriguing. Could it have been a seedling too, not yet named or trialed before registry?
Looking forward to more inspiration in your photos.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wonderful photos. Thanks for posting them and congratulations on your wedding.

My first choice would be AC Rooster and as long as I'm dreaming I'd also want the fractal one.

Boise, ID

Thank you, I've got quite a few more photos I'll post soon. I definitely love the look of the AC Rooster although I think it's $16 since it's a 2010 introduction. I was quite surprised I was there in time to see the "two-faced" dahlia bloom. It looks like they had crossed a "Spartacus" with "English Breakfast". Stuff like that makes me excited to try and make my own hybrids.

Uh oh! Do you have acres to spare? Just kidding. It would be so much fun.

Boise, ID

Round 2. Alright well if I know the names of them or think I know the names of any of these I will attempt to label them otherwise I just don't know.

Thumbnail by edewitt

Beautiful! Such clarity!

Boise, ID

Another shot of "Nick Sr." I love em, a great tribute to Nick Gitts Sr.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

A shot of their seemingly endless field of dahlias.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

I always enjoy the "tattered edges" look to dahlias like this.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

Here's a twist, a bee feeding off "Pooh" to make honey. The tables have turned.

Thumbnail by edewitt

Wonderful photos and you made me laugh with the last comment. I'll look forward to more of your great shots when I wake up.

Thanks for sharing!

Boise, ID

I love the shape and color to these. They almost look like an odd edible fruit.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

My pleasure, Pirl. Glad you've enjoyed the photos. It would be a waste to just have them sitting here on my computer for only myself to enjoy.

This one is either "Pirate's Gold" or "Mardy Gras". I think it's "Pirate's Gold".

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Bishop of York"

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Encore"!

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

A nice open-middle yellow one I have no clue of the name of.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Keep posting! I have got to get there one of these years. So many appealing blooms- no wonder they're so large and leading the commercial dahlia world.

And while you're ogling those photos- best be pulling the Mrs. to the screen and involving her in the expansion plans for the front yard dahlia bed. "What do you think of this color/form/foliage, dearest?" "Do you like the bright little collarette more than the irregular large informal decorative?" These are trick questions designed to pull the spouse or significant others into the dahlia vortex from which there is no easy escape.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.