Skutt Firebox 8 Kiln on sale

East Aurora, NY(Zone 5a)

This kiln is on sale at Delphi for 399. Is this a decent kiln to use to fuse glass? I was thinking about getting a microwave kiln to make jewelry but am thinking that the Skutt is much more versatile. I am thinking of putting this in my basement and the manual suggests to put it on a fireproof surface. Any recommendations for how to set this up so I don't start a fire? I have an old short dresser that I could tile the top and then use the drawers for storage. Would that be sufficient?
I'm hoping that this kiln would allow me to explore other aspects of glass, yet isn't that pricey. I tend to get bored and then don't touch it for years. (oil painting, watercolor painting, decorative painting, stained glass, rug hooking....it goes on....) I love fused glass, blown glass, glass beads. I'm drawn to glass at art shows so I'm hoping that I will really enjoy this. I think its safe to say that I suck at painting. LOL. I'm hoping that I will love this medium. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced kiln in case I don't fall in love with glass. Thanks.

This thread has one reply. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!