ICE GYPSIES

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

It is only 33 degrees here....guess that is toasty in comparison....but here I am calling y'all to to come on down south before ya become a Poo'scicle.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
(Zone 5b)

it's 13 degrees here, Moon, and the wind was howling all night. We're now calling 30 "mild."
cute pic!
mmmm hot coffee thank you! I hope you have enough, I fell asleep at 1:30 AM I think, the kids were still awake!

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Cute picture Moon. Yeah, 30 is a heat wave. It's 9° here, wind chill is -7. Can you say "Lake Effect"? Expecting 3-6 inches more, and it snowed overnight.

Couldn't see for the snow, Lynnie, my glasses don't have wipers, had to turn around and go home. Sorry 'bout that.

Wouldn't want to be sitting in that stadium today..

edited for stupid typo's

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 8:09 AM

(Zone 5b)

ah well......
oh no they're getting up already! don't these kids ever sleep???

I truly do not like cold weather. Good Morning Lynn. Bet the girls will sleep in for a little while anyway. At least long enough to let ya get a cup of coffee. Do your girls go back to school on Monday? Jordan goes back Thursday. The next week he gets out early on Thursday, and has Friday and Monday off.

Spoke too soon. Good Morning Smiley....BRRRR

(Zone 5b)

and they're hungry...

Of course they are hungry....and they are hungry right now.....grin

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Don't worry Lynnie, when they hit puberty they'll sleep in. Half the day.

When DD does that, they get up & cook their own stuff. Of course they have to get the biggest bowl... measure everything into little bowls like they taught them in home economics.. oh, excuse me, I believe it's called 'living environment' now.

Do they still teach baby and diaper care in "living enviornment"?

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Good Morning Moon. How's it going?

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Up here they teach them a whole course in child care, including baby care, and they become 'red cross certified babysitters'. They give them a little babysitting packet, it's cute. They even get a red cross card.

DD knew all that stuff anyways from taking care of the 5 little boys that used to live next door.

(Zone 5b)

not in elementary school, anyway haha we called it home-ec I don't think they have it here anymore.
they're having bagels & fruit while waiting for pancakes.
so when does this sleeping in thing start? I was always an early riser, they probably get it from me.
they go back to school tomorrow...they'll be cranky pants.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Me too, Lynnie. And so were both of my kids, no matter when they went to bed they got up early.

Then puberty kicked in & it was all over.

DD goes back tomorrow too. She did the red cross thing in middle school. 7th grade, I think.

Sorry, was over on Tropical Gardening site. Jenn's beautiful GreatDane Braveheart died in his sleep Wednesday night....had to shed a tear or two for him.

Someone once told me that birth-time had a lot to do with sleep habits. Not how much you want to sleep, but when your body thinks it should be awake.

(Zone 5b)

I think I was born at dinner time (hah when else!) and one of my kids was born at 8:30 AM and the other at 7:30 PM.
although my mother had 8 kids, so she sometimes just makes stuff up if she can't remember details....there's a baby pic of my brother that she claims is most of us *grin*

I think it has more to do with the Mom's circadian rhythms than the time you were born

Have a good day, Ladies. Hope to catch up with ya later....stay warm.

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

You too Moon & Lynnie. Better get moving myself.

Moon, check this out. This is what's playing now on our computer. Different.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121757293

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Morning
No early risers here today.

Right now 30 sounds warm its -6, and wind howling with wind chill of -21.
High today is 7, bet we don't make it.

Home ec room caught on fire the other day, they were doing some work in there while the kids were off. Now the kids get an extra day off. Go back on Tuesday now.

Too cold to go out to dinner today....

(Zone 5b)

nice Smiley! love the Kinks
JJ the kids are getting dressed to go outside...it's 13, -8 below with the wind....it will be 45 minutes of dressing for 4 minutes outside. Hope none of 'em blow away

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Did you listen, Lynnie? We are still listening. It's Ray Davies fronting a choir singing Kinks songs. Really different and good.

Hi JJ. THAT is cold! It's 10° here, I went in my sunroom, which is not getting any sun today, and wouldn't be surprised if some of my starts don't make it. The brug seems to be loving it, though. It's a monster. That happened in our local high school a few years ago ~ cafeteria caught fire. So they redid the whole thing & now have a pretty good menu.

I love when kids spend all that time getting ready, only to find it's too cold out and the snow won't pack.

(Zone 5b)

I only got to hear about 90 seconds, hoping to get back to it....
they stayed out a little longer than I thought, it was hysterical watching them, they kept falling over lol
I just realized I forgot to take the garland down over the sliders.

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

That makes it quicker to put up next year...

I am going to try wintersowing some seeds I have.
I have some of those foil pans with the plastic lid and been saving all the milk jugs for awhile.

Just have to figure where I am going to set them that they won't get blown all over.
Sounds like a job for DH. He can make me a big wooden box to set them in. :)

Lynnie get out the riding lawn mower and pull them on the sled behind it.
GS loves it when DH does that...

(Zone 5b)

JJ I can't reach the brake on that thing ;)

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Must be a job for DH then..get him moving and you take a nap :)

(Zone 5b)

I just finished the pot of coffee...

Dronfield, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,hope your sunday's going ok,
Cold and frosty on top of the light covering of snow from last night.....19f,now at 5.30.
Lynnie,glad to hear New Englanders keep up the old traditions and endlessly discuss the weather.Are all your extra girls still there?
Picture of Robin ,I took this afternoon on Tow path of Chesterfield Canal,Sam and I were on our usual Sunday walk:}

Thumbnail by joyhughes
(Zone 5b)

aaw cute birdie!
one kid left so far
I'm attempting wheat bread from scratch....it's rising now. We'll see how it tastes after it's cooked.
I also have to bake something for work...my coworkers are non too subtle with their expectations *grin* I think that's half the reason they took me back. I have a recipe for a chocolate cake with cinnamon in it, it's good, goes great with coffee, maybe I'll whip one up.

Looking in opposite direction,don't think the Geese like the frozen Canal.

Thumbnail by joyhughes
(Zone 5b)

lol poor geese!

Lynnie,glad I'm never expected to bake anything to take to work,dunno if anyone's noticed I never add anything worthwhile to baking or cookery discussions,I dislike both and only ever cooked cos i'm a Mum.My DH would be better able to comment:}
Even so,both my sons grew up ok and as I was a single Mum,it must've been down to my feeding..Lol.Eventually ,I met and married a man who loves to cook:}
your baking sounds delicious ,I bet your co-workers are glad to have you with them
Hope the bread goes well too.

(Zone 5b)

I just enjoy cooking & baking, there's something about baking that's a big stress reliever for me. I don't feel particularly stressed right now, I've just been wanting to try the bread for a while. I might make a beef stew today too. That will go good with the bread if it comes out ok lol

The bread 'll come out perfect I bet:},My DH's just cooking dinner,he says same,it's a good stress reliever.I say same of gardening,walking and swimming....especially swimming,cos no one can ask me anything in the pool.....mobile phone's left in locker:}

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

Smart woman you are, Joy, to leave the phone in the locker when swimming.

I agree with Lynnie, there's something about cooking that is a stress reliever for me also. Just stay out of the kitchen! I think it's the 'being alone' part. I don't like a helper.

Stew sounds good, Lynnie. I was going to take mom to the store & pick up a few things. DH wen out to get DD and called, said you're not going anywhere, he went farther on ABS brake slide than ever before. Thought he was going out into the busy street. Mom didn't need any meds, so that worked for both of us.

Don't know what to make now.. gotta scope out the freezer.

I'm going to telephone my parents,then eat and may be back to chat later,Smiley,hope you find something good in freezer.Sound like your roads are slippy,like they are here.Sometimes wish there weren't so many hills around here:}

Woodhull, IL(Zone 5a)

Whoops been lurking around and have to pick friends up for dinner at 2:15 better get moving and get DH moving too.

Finally found a birthday present for the gentleman. Found a remote for the tv even he can't mess up.

(Zone 5b)

yup it's pretty ugly out...a car just flipped on the highway, driver lost control when the wind whipped up a whiteout...both people are ok.
Started the beef stew...now I'm down to one kid lol little one went down the street.
Baking and working out are my big stress relievers, and gardening is a new therapetic outlet for me too. new the last 2 or 3 years.
the bread SMELLS good....

(Zone 5b)

JJ tell us about your yummy meal afterward!

Hello All. In the mid 40's here....sorry....grin

Smiley, Thanks so much...I love the Kinks....gonna burn this one to cd so I can take it along in the BAT.

I used to love cooking and especially baking, but think like Smiley it was the "alone" part I enjoyed. I always had fun with the kids in the kitchen for cookies and stuff, but think it is the ADD that causes the problem. DH got interested in cooking when we moved....we can not work on the same things, as he can not take any advice..."cut back on the temp and stuff won't stick" "soften the butter first for easier mixing" "everything does not have to be cooked on HIGH" ya know, things that come from 50 years of being in the kitchen....grin

Believe it or not, I do remember snow suits....grin Always seemed like ya just get suited up, outside and 5 minutes later have to go to the bathroom....grin

Joy, love the ducks...they look so perplexed....grin Darn hard water....grin

JJ, good choice. Have a nice dinner and y'all be careful.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.