Georgia seed start

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

When is the best time to start tomato and cucumber seeds, here in Georgia? I want to have my plants about 10 inches tall when I plant then outside. I started late last year and did not get very many maters or cucumbers.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I started my tomato seeds on 2/28 last year. I'll probably start 1st week in March this year. Not sure about cukes. I usually plant them directly in the ground early May.

I started my tomatoes on 3-8 last year ... and believe it or not on 2-18 in 2008. I'll probably go with the first of March. I'm going to keep mine pinched back and try to get mine real stalky this year. They looked the best they ever have last year. I'm also thinking about wintersowing a few for fun. Anyone done that?
~Susan

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan sounds like a good idea.. except this week...lol
How are you?
Stay warm,
Elaine

Hi Elaine!

I'm F F F FR FREEEEEzing
^_^

You stay warm! You're colder than me! LOL I hope my poor gardenia makes it. You should see my yard. Oh, and Ollie? Poor baby!!

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Hi fellow GA gardeners. I am freezing too!!! I want to plant some tomatoes in the spring and wonder how they will do down here in this sandy soil. Is it okay to put pine straw around them. I know when I planted them in Virginia we didn't put anything around them. I bought young plants from the nursery. I will need some help getting started down here and appreciate any assistance I can get!!!

Hi FlipFlops!
Go over to the tomato forum ... and you'll get a lot of great info specific to your growing region. :-)
~Susan

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Susan, I will do that. 24 degrees this morning. The coldest morning so far. Sure will be glad when this is over!!!

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Feb 14 with staggered plantings after that.

BB

You and me both! LOL What types of tomatoes do you like to grow?

We are growing about 30 varieties this year. Mainly heirlooms

BB

Bronx, I start same time. Brandywine and other tomatoes that flower in coolest weather are always my first to go in. Cherries can go in later.
Then I seed even more, quite a bit later for late summer planting and to get a good fall crop if the weather is right. This year I lost 3/4 of the huge fall crop to drought. It all got black rot. The sewer overflowed :(... I could only grab what did not get wet from the sewer. Then we had to dig out the soil and add 3' of fresh soil on top of it because of the sewer water. Blech.

Ugh

Sounds like a good time :-(

BB

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Can I put tomatoes in the ground the end of Feb??? Just wondered. Never planted any until the 1st of May in VA.

Blackshear, GA

Hi Flipflops and everyone else,
You are almost my neighbor in more ways than one. I live in Waycross, but we also have a house at Dovers Bluff at Brunswick. As a matter of fact, I am heading that way today, to check on all the pipes and things down there. Have you been to Ace on St. Simons and Flowers of Fredricia? If not, go, they have beautiful flowers and some unusual ones.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Hi GAgirl,
Yes, I have been to Ace many times and also Flowers of Fredricia. In fact my son & I went to Ace last week. They had everything covered up and brought in to the new building because of the cold. We are relatively new down here and not sure where Dovers Bluff is located. I have heard of it and glad we are neighbors. Can't be far away because Brunswick is not that big. We are located in Marshes of Mackay off Rt. 17.

Blackshear, GA

Dovers is one exit down (from the Goasis Hwy 82) toward Jacksonville. We love it, our house is on the marsh. We try to go over almost every weekend and spend alot of the summer there. Welcome, down south, and maybe we can 'compare notes (flowers)' Send me a dmail. I personally have a plant addiction and have LOTS of plants, so if there is something you are looking for let me know. TTYL

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

19 degrees here this am. I was checking to see when you all are going to start seeds. I want to start some but don't want to plant them too early. I am so ready for the temp to start warming up. Piggy Swap seeds are on the way, so should have penty of seed to plant and share.
Best wishes to all.
Charleen
Rides

Blackshear, GA

Hi Charleen,
Long time no talk!! I am going to start planting some next week, the ones that take longer to bloom and maybe some veges. Just hope I am not planting them too early, we shall see. I still have a few things I want to send you, but will wait till it warms up.
Take care!

Hi GAgirl!
What sort of veggies do you like to grow? I'll be doing heirloom tomatoes, peppers, beans and cucumbers. Oh, and a variety of lettuce. I had romaine before this cold!

BB, what about carrots? Do you grow them?
~Susan

Great!!! I know you still want the Soloman's seal so we will wait til it wakes up and I'll get you a couple of pieces. It got cold on us didn't it?? Will be so glad when it warms up again. I got some small Bromaliads at Ingles today marked down to 50 cents. You know I got them. Also got a new Hoya, you may want a piece of . It is a Linearis (hope that's right) It is in a hanging planter.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule
Blackshear, GA

OOOOOOO! Don't you love it, I have one. It is so delicate. Does it bloom, do you know? I am not sure, will have to look that up. Great deal of the broms. I can't pass up a deal either. Love to have the sol. seal.

Hey Susan, I was about to send you a dmail to thank you. Do that in a sec. I have been meaning to ask where you live, I know it had to be south GA. We are practically neighbors. We will have to get some trades going, if you like doing that.

As far as the garden, Last year was my first, just your basic tomatoes, zuch, squash, and a couple other things. I have bought a few different things for this spring though. Do you have any extras you may could share?

Supposed to have a white bloom and read they can be tempermental. So have to wait and see what happens.
got to find it a special place to stay yet. I just got it today. There is a pic on here....

http://www.international-hoya.org/gallery.html

This message was edited Jan 13, 2010 7:07 PM

Sure. Just Dmail me.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

Susan, are you close to Brunswick. Looks like GAgirl and you might be neighbors. I am excited about getting to know people in this area and the plants they grow. Dmail me if you get a chance.

Blackshear, GA

Flip,
She is an hour on the other side of me, making her two hours from Brunswick, but still close enough. You need to find out what you can about Georgia Vines. Look up the website, it is based out of Brunswick. I have emailed her several times, as I would love to go look. First time she said 'come on' then the next time she never responded. I would love to find out where she is and take a visit.

GAgirl,
You didn't get my morning Dmail?

FlipFlops ... Dmailing you now. LOL

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

GAgirl,
I looked up Georgia Vines but couldn't find out where it is. Beautiful plants!!!

Blackshear, GA

I don't know either. Everything that I want she is out of, and that is usually the case, every time I look.

Brunswick , GA(Zone 9a)

That is really strange!!! Took my plants outside and put them on the back steps so they could get a good soaking. The heat in the house drys them out so bad. It's nice and mild outside and I thought they would like it. Really starting to rain steady now but I will take this over the freezing temps we had.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.