Help With Elk and Other Hungry Critters

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey everyone,
Ok, here's the story...I'm planning on having a compost pile and then a garden (both flowers and veggies) at my DBF this growing season. DBF lives in the middle of what is more or less a reserve for elks. I'm wondering if all my efforts will be futile if I don't first grow a fence? Any advice? Has anyone had any success with a garden where elks were present daily without a fence...and how? Do they also devour flowers?
I know I could walk a mile and ask the neighbors, but they would just tell me to grow a fence. A fence would certainly work, but is not in the budget right now. It may be possible to fence just around the veggie garden. To fence in the entire property with the kind of fence needed would be extremely expensive.
Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!
Heather

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

One of the apple growers here had a major problem with deer. He got the DNR to pay for a good share of the fence. Some 8 ft high & like you said, expensive.

He said he only had a dozen or so deer in his orchard in the winter instead of hundreds. He can't figure out how they get in.

What are elk doing in PA ?

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

The elk are in Elk County, PA. It's a big thing..
http://paelk.com/
http://www.visitpago.com/travel-tools/counties/elk/elk-herd/

DNR won't pay for anything here. If anything they will tell you what type of fence to put up or that fences aren't allowed. I heard it happen a month ago. It gets a little nuts here, the elk are more important than the people sometimes, lol. A lady down the road has a chain link fence and an elk was hurt in her back yard. Two different agencies were called in. A rumor started that they were blaming her fence and that she had to get a different one. So far no changes have been made to her fence and I hope she doesn't have to shell out the money for that. She has a very large property that is completely fenced in to keep elk viewers out and marked "private property, no trespassing" but it doesn't keep people out, lol. The fence isn't to keep elk out, it's to keep people out. That's what folks don't understand unless they live here.

It's a hard line. It's awesome that the elk are here. It's more than annoying that the people watching them are so bold that they'll jump a marked fence and trample a garden to see them.

Anyway, I'm off subject, sorry, sorry, sorry. Guess that little rant couldn't be avoided, LOL!!! It was going to come out eventually and now it's out of the way!

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

If anyone else is interested I did just find this list of plants that elk and deer most likely won't eat, and a recipe for a solution to spray on other plants that should make them leave the plants alone...
http://www.denverplants.com/perennials/html/deerproof.htm

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

There are motion-activated sprinklers that are supposed to scare them away...
OK! Found them! They run on 9v batteries and cost $70, much cheaper than a tall fence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5D3GKlTkpY

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Great idea JuneyBug, thank you very much! DBF just looked over my shoulder as I was watching the vid and said "that's unique" so I guess it has a chance...at least till he sees the price, lol!! If I can't find one cheaper I'm thinking that between DBF and my DBs they could probably rig one up to make due. Or maybe just wait and see where the elk or other critters enter the garden from and put just one up in that area. I think that may work.

I think that's the coolest thing ever! I want one just to keep the people out of the yard and garden...tee hee hee!!! It would really, seriously work! Just put it at the end of the long driveway by a "no trespassing, private property, violaters will be shot with cold water" sign. Next thing you know everyone down here would want to be buying them!!! Hmmm, wonder if it's possible for me to get them wholesale....I could just have WAY to much fun with these things!

Back on subject...I've found a few lists of plants that elk/deer are supposed to not like. If deer don't like them elk are supposed to hate them too. Only problem is that if they are hungry enough they'll break the rules. It seems that if something is smelly (think catmint, marigold) they'll stay away from it. So I guess I'll be bordering my beds with those with hopes that it works. Also a good homemade spray is one part chicken egg to four parts water, respray after rain of course. Also bags of dog &/or human hair hung in the garden. I'm actally thinking of keeping the contents of the vaccuum bag from now on to keep for hanging in the garden. Yuck, I know, but it'll probably work. Lots of dog hair in the vaccuum, LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.