Getting ME ready for iris season

Raleigh, NC

Happy 2010, y'all! For the next 8 to 10 weeks, there's not much to do outside in the iris beds. But spring is coming! ME is not ready.

after 16 months of being sickly and a couch potato, I got it back together Nov. 1st, with the help of a custom medication and an water exercise program for seniors. The improvement in my health is great!

So I've made the COMMITMENT to a NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION, like so many of the rest of y'all, of exercising and dieting.

ANYONE WANTING TO JOIN ME IS FREE TO JUMP ON IN! THE WATER'S FINE!!!

Added Jan1st - No one need post their weight. But please post what your personal goals are - that puts them in writing and makes them REAL. But please post your age if you will, for as we get older, making this change is harder.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2010 8:34 PM

Raleigh, NC

Here's where I start - I've been EXTREMELY sedentary. No stamina, no energy for gardening. Flexibility at 10%, lifting capacity (strength) at 50%. I will be 57 in April. Doctor approved any gentle exercise program. oh - I have asthma.

Started hybridizing after Dee taught me in 2007. With our sloping topography, it takes balance, flexibility, and core muscle strength, more than I've had before, and stamina. You would not believe the abdominal strength it takes to hold your entire body steady and still enough to get those little stamens on those little style lips while balancing on slope between tight rows.

This message was edited Jan 1, 2010 10:49 AM

Raleigh, NC

Exercise -
I gave the family a gift Christmas 2006 of a membership at the nearby YMCA. They have classes for AOAs - Active Older Adults IN THE WATER, Mon-Sat mornings. That's my chosen exercise. The pro class instructors emphasize:

Stretching and flexibility, especially in joints
Balance
Increasing core muscle strength
Aerobic workout

I'm COMMITTING to 1hr 5 days a week.

Raleigh, NC

Weight -
I can take off 50 pounds and still not be svelte. 1 pound a week is what I can safely expect to lose without putting stress on my health.

SO THAT'S THE GOAL FOR 2010: 50 LBS, MORE FLEXIBILITY, AGILITY, AND STAMINA.

Photo: here's me before Christmas, on the right! This photo gives you a good view of the "shape" I'm in!!

Until I saw this photo, I had no idea I looked this bad.

Thumbnail by bonjon
Lebanon, OR

Well lets see with the holidays I put ojn 10# need to take off 14# and start back on the ball for exercise. Then want to walk 3-5 a week once we get out of the rainy weahter.

D

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm with you, I'm 5'2" and weigh 174, and need to drop 50 lbs, too. I'm so out of shape that walking up a flight of stairs leaves me huffing. I'm starting off by walking 2 miles a day, rain or shine. Wouldn't you just know it's a rainy day today! I promised myself no excuses, so I'll be wearing my raincoat and carrying an umbrella, but I am going. I would be thrilled to usher in 2011 at 130 pounds, so let's encourage each other.

Raleigh, NC

How do you eat an elephant? ONE BITE at a time.
What I'm doing is spelling it out small goals specifically, because getting it into managable "bites" works for me.

So, if y'all will take note, I'm COMMITTING to a little goal PER WEEK. 1 lb per week. 5 classes per week.

If I do more any specific week, that's great. But I'm COMMITTING to what I know I can achieve.

Dee, Glad to have you!! You will inspire me I know!

Mittsy, climb on in, lady! Welcome aboard!

South Hamilton, MA

I am now 5'1" & as pf this morning weigh 206. I have pulled a muscle somewhere in my hip & am hobbling around. Terrible to stand at the top os the strairs & decide which foot to use going down to bear the weight. I hope this heals so I can alternate feet. Have asthma, diabetes & have trouble sleeping through the night although improving on that.

In the garden I use a kneeler which turns over into a seat. When hybridizing can sit on the seat & write tags. The late Bee Warburton said that you can write many tags sitting down & she was slim. SDBs are hybridized while kneeling & can sit for some of the taller plants. I did one cross last spring lying on my stomach & got 2 takes there. At one time we were given awicker basket (suitcase type) & that is our hybridizing kit--contains tags, forceps graphite pencil & envelopes for pollen. I carry the pollen for use in my apron pocket, switching pockets if I am working on several plants. One can be unsteady at times if the ground isn't level. On a hill you have to figure out the approach to the plant. Mark the cross in a notebook & after a funny experience tag each cross on a stem. Always find a new way to ease up on problems.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Ohh Mittsy, 5' 2 here and waaaaaay overweight!! Problem is when I lose weight, doc knows I'm not faithful to my insulin regime.
I cry over this evil side effect, but at least I'm alive. Don't eat much here, but need to be more active. All the hobbies I love are sedentary, and the only one that takes me outdoors, doc decreed to lessen it, on account of my bad feet.
Now if only there's a magical eraser to 'slim' down my sillhoute (sp.)

Bon, I need to take lessons on the serious side of growing irises. It's been plop and plant for me ;)

Raleigh, NC

oh how I wish I could do that Lucy! I have one of those kneelers. sitting on the slope is out, would tumble downhill. can't kneel either, because rows so tight together due to very limited space in full sun. When I make crosses, I work on a slope with about 10" - less than my body width space - to step/stand in. Literally, if I bend at the waist, my butt knocks down a stalk behind me! Kneel on one knee, and my leg on the ground wipes out the clump downhill. Use the kneeler, and I'd wipe out two clumps! I knocked over more than I crossed.

exercising in the water is a boon, as I can't hurt myself falling. floatation belt helps me move without causing asthma attack.

Raleigh, NC

We cross posted Jaye - sounds like you'll help cheer the rest of us on, then! You are good luck, you know that, right?!!

But jump in and join us if you can come up with a safe exercise option. Sounds like the benefits of more movement will help your circulation. With your feet, an indoor pool option would be marvelous and worth your better health on price. Any chance of one nearby?you live out in boonies.

Irises are forgiving enough plop and plant works just fine. Plop alone has worked.

Lebanon, OR

I have my aprons, in one is the tags and have the ones I made in the house with just the pollen listed on them with little clips, middle pocket is pens and pollen envelopes I make all winter, really small for seeds, around neck is the neck is serger twissers as they work the best for me, in the last pocket is the cross bible, OH forgot the top pocket holds the ones I have written

I walk in no rain, misty but but right now PNW it can downpour with the sun shining

How is this, I will post my weight lost or gain on Sats.

D

Who just ordered a new iris pattern and about 10 yards of clearance fabric

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll join, but my only, and I mean only goal is to get rid of this sciatica. So I will exercise and stretch faithfully each day, increasing my exercises daily. My chiro doesn't want me to increase too fast, so it's going to be one set of leg lifts a day, etc. But I'm here with you guys.

Let's cheer each other on!

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

I really need this too. I have done nothing so far in a year but sit on my big (and getting bigger!) butt and write. I hate being inside but must be there to pay the bills. I need to set up a writing schedule which allows me to become more active during the day so I can lose at minimum 50 pounds. and i do mean minimum.....problem i have now is not even being able to walk up the steps to bed without losing my breath..........I hate this...................So Bon and Jaye..........you get to play motivational kick butt speakers and get us off our duffs and make us ready.....or at least better....for spring time planting, and everything that goes with!

Orangeburg, SC

Okay I am so glad someone thought of a running posting to help and loose weight. I am going to blurt out and imbarras myself. I am 5'2 and weigh (holding my breath with tears in my eyes) 282. I am only 31 but have lived a life of poor eating habits. I am actually the type that loves to get out in my flower beds but when I get bouts of deppression I may not do anything for days and normally have no one to help motivate me. Ive tried to get buddies to help with a kinda of AA for weight but cant get anyone on board for longer than a week. I enjoy walking and have lost when I do it it just all that southern cooking takes over. A buddy system would be awesome. I have asthma and High blood pressure not to mention I stay tired if I ever slow down. I wnat to do it for me and my family. Brandy

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

J4J....I will be your AA buddy if you want....We can motivate each other.....Glorious tell tale pictures and all!

Julie

Winnsboro, TX

No pictures here. Ya'll seen my one and only while at Sharonwinters this past month. What's so funny about that picture is I thought I was hiding my body behind the statue and my leather coat with the dead animal hanging from it's collar. Bonnie you and I could pass for sisters from our hair cut to our body frame and we're about the same age. (grin)

I actually did exercise today with the little old man in his 90's that I take care of. Three or four times a week I help him do his exercise. Today he told me to do them too and I said ok. So we both had a couple of very good laughs. Both my knees are shot from playing softball and volleyball for over 40 some odd years. So I tend to bend at the waist to do anything I need to do. He was blown away to see me do the leg lifts and touch the top of his bed with my foot over my head while laying flat on my back. It was probably more to do with my big booty sticking up in the air than touching the matteress with my foot. Poor thing probably never saw anything that big before. His wife was one of those tiny little things that if a big puff of wind was to come by it would blow her away. lol

Anyway, I'm willing to work at it and make a change in my eatting habits and my daily routines. One thing that also helps is not spending so much time sitting and typing on the computer. It takes very little energy to sit and type or read things on the internet. So I'm going to get up and get busy.

Let's do this together girls and have fun doing so. Hugs to each and everyone of you!
Marian

Raleigh, NC

No one need post their weight, only how much they want to lose, if weight loss is a goal. Y'all really should break it down to how much per week, but it sounds like everyone is with me on a pound a week.

It would be helpful to know your age, though, as we react differently at different ages to exercise and diet. Have you ever noticed how young all the competitors are on that reality show?

Water exercise is ok for me because of all my maladies. And if J4J is brave enough to post, then I'll post that I'm at 194 lbs.

South Hamilton, MA

I have a stationary exercise bike which I have to get back to riding. bonjon how about a shooting stick type device to help you keep your balance?

South Hamilton, MA

According to many Drs. you should not lose more than 2 lbs a week anyway. Remember also that weight can fluxuate day by day, so don't get discouraged if it is not a steady loss. My weight just went up a couple pounds, but can easily decrease as easily.

Raleigh, NC

Ok - I've added that to the top thread.

To motivate y'all, I did this once before, but only for 90 days that time. In 90 days I lost only 20 lbs and 3 pants sizes. I was told the key was to make a positive change in the activity level CONSISTANTLY. So I already know what I'm doing WORKS.

But COMMITMENT TO MOVE MORE is the key. That's what I haven't renewed. I really really miss the energy levels I had back then! Wish I could show y'all a tape of our most energetic instructor. She's over 65. She's like...Keith Keppel! a dynamo just like him! I miss the wonderful sleep I was getting back then, too. When you use more energy, your body will rest "deeper", too.

South Hamilton, MA

I have gone down a pants size since working on my weight 5 yrs ago. I will be 75 in March & have lost a lot of energy & gained aches & pains. The problem with size is that my weight still sits around the middle. No operations there, it can be dangerous. Operation probably coming up is cataract. Hope it can be done before gardening season.

Raleigh, NC

You are right, Lucy. I'm just going to shoot for half that, at 1 lb. a week.

I saw a news soundbite two days ago discussing health issues. Seems one hospital somewhere does more preventative health care than others, and has the lowest return rate for heart attacks than any other by oodles. They discovered their overweight heart patients didn't have a weight scales at home. So they used some of their funds and gave out free scales to recovering heart patients. The results impressed everyone.

So those that want to lose weight, get a bathroom scales! You can use it to weigh your monster rhizomes next year! (well, maybe)

Raleigh, NC

Oh Lucy, I wish I could fly you down here for a month to visit my class! our oldest class member is Ginny - she's 94. They all love how little stress on our hips and joints this exercise class is. We have six class members that are doing this so they can avoid knee replacement surgery.

South Hamilton, MA

I use my dad's old hospital one. I am encouraged when i see Dr after breakfast & sans shoes & I am within a pound of my home weight. Remember some wks you don't lose anything & still are on the right track. The thing is not to get discouraged.

South Hamilton, MA

My spinal arthritis is bothered by everything & is gaining more calcium.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm ready to go. I've been maintaining the 20 reps of each exercise my chiro showed me, and he has given me permission to increase it by one more each day, so tomorrow is the day.

Kids are here tonight, and of course we made cookies. Darn skinny kids.

Thumbnail by pollyk
South Hamilton, MA

Polly, I was slim as a kid.. doesn't work when you get older.

Orangeburg, SC

Jar that sounds wonderful to me. Yes i was brave enough to admi my weight. Is all mine I earned ever pound of it all on my own. Theres no way my kids accounted for all of it. I am 31. I come from big family fat wise... LOL

A pound a week is a great goal but very hard to reach as time goes on. No one should be discouraged if you dont meet it as every one cant do as much so for some a goal per month may be better or biweekly. I do know how to lose weight. Ive been to weight watchers and the doctor. Nothing works like motivation,! Next is intake and excersie both in moderation. You would think I could do better. For me saying my weight is like a weight lifting in itself. The BIG secrect released. I think I lost a pound when I typed it. LOL My goal to start with is 25 lbs. And when I loose that I will set a new goal. Its closer to reach. Its also a good idea to give yourself a small reward when you reach that goal.
Remeber small goals and the support would be the best lifter. I think going to my fun place will help me more than you all know. OH YA LAY OFF THE CHEESE> I learned my favorite food is SO fatting!

I plan to aim for a pound a week and to never lie because im only lyeing to myself. I am really excited. Thanks again Jar please keep in touch. Im excited to have a weight buddy.

Orangeburg, SC

This is one of the people I need to loose for. My daughter Summer is 13.

Thumbnail by Jumpin4Joy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lucy, doing karate four days a week and running three should keep them slim, I hope. Most of our family is slender. Not me.

Orangeburg, SC

okay polly Im tired just thinking of getting in the car 4 times a week. LOL I plan to start small but effectivly starting tommorrow morning.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree. Believe me I'm not recommending that exercise program to myself or any of us.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Beautiful picture J4J. You two look close. I have three, ages 14, 15, and 16 and they all tell me I am not fat...but then ask if me and one of my friends would go on biggest loser! lol...........with the weight I am so unhealthy.....so even a pound a week is good for me.

Dellroy, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey, how about some healthy alternatives to all those Christmas treats we just got done baking? For instance, instead of cake and ice cream, how about jello with fruit?
Or an alternative to potato chips is non-buttered popcorn sprinkled with garlic salt or Mrs. Dashes. Anyone else have any cool treats that won't keep us off track?

Orangeburg, SC

My daughter and I are close. My son is 10 and my daughter 13. I homeschool them so we are all close. Sometimes to close. LOL And that sound like what they would say and ask me to.

Lebanon, OR

I take won ton wrappers and spray with pam or olive oil and put stevia and cinnamon on them...sweet tooth and crunch power very low cal, very low fat.

If I want salty use sea salt.

D

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm in. I have a constant 'drop and gain it back' schedule. Last spring I was jogging almost everyday. We have a 600 acre park here just two miles from my house. I went from 146 to 126 in just about 2 or 3 months. Before that I had a free one month membership at curves. I lost about 5 lbs in about 12 days of working out there, not bad!

Currently I am 28 years old, about 150lbs, and 5' 3", Over all I'm pretty athletic but get lazy if I am not working at all or working to much. I finally found a job walking a dog five days a week so that gets me outside now. I would like the weather to get a bit more dry before I start running on the park trails again. they are too muddy now.

My goal is to get back down to 120 or so. At 126 I was pretty small but still had a small tire going around the waist line.

My back and neck are sore, my hips pop and crack and my toes are swollen from being such a couch potato this fall/winter. No job or money, what's there to do. In the summer I work my butt off and am constantly on my feet but the weight slowly creeps back because my eating habits get worse during the summer months and I have no energy after work for excercise.

This is the most current picture i have of me. It was taken for my caredotcom profile. I don't paricularly like it but oh well. Whenever I gain weight I hate every picture of me. Don't we all.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2010 3:13 PM

Thumbnail by flowrgirl1
Raleigh, NC

came out to check the dog, and decided to check in. Great! we've got a good crew to start, and anyone else can jump in later if they want to.

y'all saw a fuzzy photo of me - because we were in the middle of "Cookie-Geddon" and DD with me (in photo) had put a lot of rum in the cakes. When they spilled over they made quite a fire - hence the smoke in the photo! Here's me Christmas Morning. In my usual couch potato position, in my chair. That's my neckbrace below the creche

This message was edited Jan 2, 2010 9:22 AM

Thumbnail by bonjon
Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

bonjon, I want to see your irises in the spring! Can I come see you?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.