Show me your favorite coreopsis

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm making up my perennial seed list and I know I want to include "moonbeam" coreopsis. I like the way it is airy. My daughter has this and it spreads nicely and fast. She's been telling me to come and get some of hers but I forget until it's the wrong season to divide it. Has anybody had an luck with the rose colored threadleaf coreopsis?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Sienna Sunset is my fav...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/184590/

I also love this variety...which gets to be about 3' tall. I got the seeds from "Diane's Seeds". She is wonderful and reliable. You can check the garden watchdog too...very reputable.
http://www.dianeseeds.com/coreopsis-tinctoria.html

Here is her list of seeds...you'll notice she has many varieties to choose from...enjoy exploring!
I'm going to order her Dwarf Red variety this year :)
http://www.dianeseeds.com/seeds/flower.html

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My vote is Sienna Sunset too.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Sienna Sunset is a beauty.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I was unimpressed at first until the season rolled on.It was a nerw plant but the fill-out was amazing.
Here it is with Sedum Royal Purp.

Thumbnail by ge1836

Pippi - I seem to remember some questionable zone hardiness ratings for the pink Coreopsis (Bressingham's intro?) when it was first introduced. It wasn't as hardy as 'Moonbeam' which is still my all-time favorite.

'Sweet Dreams' died for me the first winter. The nursery man advised planting it deeper and I did but it still died and doesn't get another chance here.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Same here with Sweet Dreams.
A costly lesson.

It mostly died out for me too. Then I moved some stuff around and little pieces now sprout up - 1 or 2 flowers - and never increase in size,

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It just wasnt as showie as the pic on the web

Has anyone had either good or bad luck with Zamphir? I just bought it and planted it Nov. 6th.

I never even saw Sweet Dreams on the web. The photo was on the tag at the nursery and I just bought it and watched it die.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought it from Bluestone last year.
It did well until after it bloomed.Blooms were not as spectacular as I thought. They must have bunched the flowers together for the picture.
It just petered out after that.
http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/COSDP.html

'Sweet Dreams' was a complete bust - no remnants remaining. 'Limerock Ruby' is the one that still haunts that bed with a few wispy flowers scattered around. I tend to prefer the thread-leaf type in my part-sun bed.

I like the threadleaf coreopsis family as well and have several areas with Zagreb, a reliable performer for many years here. The name also insures I will never forget the capital of Croatia when it's on Jeopardy.

Thumbnail by pirl

Pirl - funny!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

sweet companion to DL's Pirl

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I wanted to add some coreopsis this coming spring, but I couldn't decide which variety. I have very limited successs in getting them to over winter. Right now I'm up to my ears in seeds and shouldn't be looking for more plants. I grew quite a few tickseeds from seed several years ago, but only 3 or 4 out of about 20 are still around.

I do love the airiness of the Moonbeam types.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I also like this on. First year in the garden so I will be doing the happy garden dance if it comes back.
Domino and poppy

Thumbnail by ge1836
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This Coreopsis Tequila Sunrise is the only one I planted last summer. I hope that it over winters.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love verigates

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I do too. There are 4 of them in this circular bed. Sometimes, they are the only colors in the beds. I am starting seeds this week for the Variegated Heliopsis Lorraine.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just cant keep Loraine Sunshine, the sluggs just devour them.
I am in trouble now.The Lily Nook catalogue just came as I am searching for short lilies. They have the biggest selection.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm in the market for some short Orientals.

If we had a 100% cure for slugs we'd be rich...rich enough to buy all those lilies!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Well I did it.
I ordered the pot lilies to go with perennials.I will order Tiny Snowflake(not pictured) from B&D LILIES their prices are much better than LilyNook

Thumbnail by ge1836

ge - "happy garden dance" - can you envision gardeners actually breaking out into a few choreographed moves every April?!!!
stormyla - your 'Tequila Sunrise' looks perfectly placed in front of the other green foliages.
No lilies for me - not enough space or sun.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, but Cindy, lilies are perfect shade garden plants. I have all of mine growing in shade, they actually hold their colors better in shade. They like dry feet and benefit from the root competition.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Some of mine are in part shade too.

Back away from the lilies...
I'll give them some root competition - front shade bed, 2 big oaks, 1 big misplaced maple, forming a triangle roughly 15'. Hostas, Epimedium, woodland phlox, (the former 3 seem to do ok since they're just as stubborn as the tree roots),2 small barberry and 1 'Wine and Roses' Weigela (shrubs barely hanging on). Gave up on Campanula poscharskyana (which normally grows anywhere for me) and have thrown in the towel on annuals (too many roots). Nothing up there benefits in that bed.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cheeeezus what a nightmare

Well, at least some of the plants are doing better than the grass that they replaced. Can't dig a decent sized hole just to plant out little impatiens! And they don't even try to grow up there. I feel guilty when I look at them. This year, I'm doing 3 big pots instead.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Cindy, Add Morus Rubrus, Alianthus and Black Walnut to that mix and you'll know what I garden under.

Ugh - you win. Have wild mulberry back in the lower garden along with the wild raspberries. No Alianthus here or black walnut - just a hickory that my neighbor wants to split cost of cutting down because it drops nuts on her grass - not house, driveway or car - just grass (an effort to clean up). I don't want to cut down because it shades my house on summer afternoons.
I am tempted to dig planting holes up front with an ax but I know the roots would just fill back in very fast.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Cindy, seriously, put in a few Orienpets or Orientals and see how they do.

This "Amazing " lily is growing directly under one of the Black Walnuts. The falling walnuts break my gazing globes, but don't seem to hurt the lilies at all.

Thumbnail by stormyla

Potted lilies look so beautiful.

Hmmmm- white would look great in that bed....

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Cindy, Casa Blancas don't even need staking in the shade. This was back in their first year.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just love the whites in the cool shade

Well, my 'Casa Blanca' that I had planted years ago in my half-shade bed has died out over time. And with no root competition. I didn't fertilize, it was a well-drained bed with supplemental water (but probably still dry all the same) and crummy soil. I dunno....

They'd prefer dry to drenching. Too much water can kill them: we've had it happen.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.