I can't believe a whole year has gone by since...

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I started looking at choosing Irises for a new garden! I'm chomping at the bit, waiting for the ones I chose to bloom this Spring.
Of the 40-50 I chose, I shared and gave about 1/2 to my MIL. I had planned to have 1/2 of the new garden with Irises and the other 1/2 with Butterfly plants, but I wound up changing the plan and dividing the garden into 3 sections...the added middle section is filled with Salvias and Agastaches. These Irises are the ones, the final selection that I chose to be in our garden...5 rows from front to back and left to right...

Front row...

Golden Panther
Rain on Frost
Nut and Honey
Earthborn

Next row...

Persian Berry
Canned Heat
Parisian Dawn
Color Me Blue
World Premier

Next row...

In Reverse
Cajun Rhythm
Vienna Waltz
Westpointer

Next row...

Aplomb
Mezmerizer
Black Suited
Whispering Spirits
Trillion

Back row...

Kitty Kay
Pheasant Feathers
Violet Turner
Coffee Whispers

Here's a pic I took back on September 15th...

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 9:09 PM

Thumbnail by SusanLouise
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

That will be beautiful. The only one on that list we have is Color Me Blue, you will love it. It blooms like crazy once established.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It's going to be beautiful, Susan. Can't wait to see it in bloom. And i see you have plenty of room for when you get addicted.

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

It will be beautiful for sure. Nice choices. The only one I have on the list is World Premier.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hello Happy, Polly and Rebloomnut :)

Thank you! I never had Irises in any of our gardens before...so this is still so new to me. So far the process has been fun choosing from the countless varieties, to now the waiting period...hoping I did everything right...looks ok so far. Thankfully they are covered and protected under a 3' blanket of snow :)

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 9:48 PM

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 11:31 PM

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Susan it looks like you did everything right. I am sure they are happy under the snow. Happy New Year.
STEPH

Normal, IL

"Salvias and Agastaches"?

Susan, very very nice. In the center bed, what is tallest and closest to the fence?

You plant like me, too many and too close, but the co-workers and neighbors encourage me so that I split every year. My Agastaches triple-quadruple their spread every year. The hummers love the Agastaches. Check out High Country Gardens for agastaches
www.highcountrygardens.com.

I do have 75+ varieties of Iris. My favorite is Blueberry Bliss.

Here's to an early spring...please please Lord an early spring.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

OneGoodMan1955,

That's 'Hot Lips' Salvia....

As for HCG, I order from them every year. Last year I ordered:

Salvias...2-Black Cherry, a Maraschino, 3- Ultra Violet...

Agastaches...2- Rosita, and a Salmon & Pink.

I also grow many varieties of Salvia and Agastaches from seed every year. I'd list them, but this is the wrong forum :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.